Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times

Advertisements

Hello all, just me again, asking about MS!!

Can you guys chime in on what, in your experience, is a good diet for Multiple Sclerosis patients?

I have been doing some research online and such, but would also like some 'hands on' knowledge.

I would like to thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 01:59 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
From what i've read on my muscle and fitness magazines/books and also on some MS web sites/forums that many are doing well on the Swank Diet as that's a ''fat free'' diet as Dr. Swank (diet founder) believes that the body cannot handle fatty acids and hence MS appears.

Others believe an anti-inflammatory diet may be best as some believe MS is inflammation gone amuck in the body possibly do to poor diet or enviromental concerns (IL-6/TNF) which is calling the T-Cells to attack the Myelin Sheath. A sample diet would be salmon, walnuts and flax with their anti-inflammatory Omega-3 fatty acids along with low glycemic vegetables and fruits.

Lastly i've read on some Celiac web sites where folks with Celiac have MS as they believe the grain or gluten is causing an inflammatory response in the intestines or ''leaky gut'' syndrome hence again the T-Cells are on the attack as they don't recognize the protein antigens.

There is a guy at our gym who has MS and was partially paralysed in his feet and taking Avenox shots in his thigh and so he radically changed his diet as no more junk/fast food and slowly started to exercise (swim) and he's so improved now and doesn't use his cane anymore as we are all stoked about him getting strong again.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:52 PM

I am leaning towards the Swank diet.

I read about lessening the red meat, lots of 'white' fish and that with plenty of Omega. Red, orange and yellow veggies, and to stay away from the carbs for the most part, exception of rice.

Talked about chicken breast being a good protein as well, but says the dark meat is considered red meat.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Both Dr.Swanks diet and Dr.McDougalls diet helps MS patients. Dr.McDougalls is a vegan diet, no animal protein of any kind.
Plus the simple carbs which are refined grains are bad on the body, not just for people with MS. Whole grains are good.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:04 AM

931 posts, read 3,804,298 times
Im a big fan of the acai berry-green tea infused triple bacon cheeseburger diet.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 AM

894 posts, read 4,350,861 times
One of my best friends has MS, and has been able to contain it with eating clean, unprocessed food.

She tries to avoid sugar, HFCS, white foods, etc.

It's basically eating G*D made foods, anything grown from the ground that has been barely touched by man.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:12 AM

894 posts, read 4,350,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
Im a big fan of the acai berry-green tea infused triple bacon cheeseburger diet.
LOL, yes, balance is everything!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I am leaning towards the Swank diet.

I read about lessening the red meat, lots of 'white' fish and that with plenty of Omega. Red, orange and yellow veggies, and to stay away from the carbs for the most part, exception of rice.

Talked about chicken breast being a good protein as well, but says the dark meat is considered red meat.
The dude at the weight gym with MS who is better told me he didn't do any ''named specific'' diet but instead just cut out all fast food/ junk food as he said he'd lived at the ''all you can eat'' places and always was eating doughtnuts etc. thru out his life. Im sure his arteries are stoked about his new diet also.

I told him he should write a book on how to heal from MS with diet .

Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Thank you all. That burger diet sounds good, however I don't think it is the correct route... lol

Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 9,212 times
I am on a grain-free vegan diet and MS is almost completely in remission! I imagine a few more months on this diet and all symptoms will be gone! This diet is for life though! The biggest mistake people make is as soon as they start feeling better they go back to old habits! Leave the old habits behind! They only cause pain! Fruit smoothies with hemp seeds every morning, pasta made out of zucchini or squash with veggies, cashew cheese, or tomato sauce for lunch or dinner, fruit or veggies for snacks, salads with lots of veggies/fruits and seeds for a meal. There's plenty of protein and a lot less inflammation! [url=http://allergenfreevegan.blogspot.com]Allergen Free Vegan Recipe Revamps[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss