Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:19 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Here are a couple of my low cal new lifestyle favorites:

Breakfast is usually:

Fiber One and Fruit
Whole grain waffle with no sugar syrup, fruit, and 2 egg whites
Egg beater omelet with peppers and onions stuffed into 1/2 whole wheat pita and fruit.

Lunch choices:
A big Greek salad with olive oil stuffed into 1/2 toasted ww pita and 1 cup veggie soup.

A tuna or seafood salad sandwich with 1 cup veggie soup.

Open faced broiled cheese and tomato sandwich

Dinner:
Grilled or baked chicken or fish with veggies
Lean cheeseburger with fried(semi) onions as a treat
veggie burger and veggies.

Snacks-
yogurt
cottage cheese and fruit
1 cup baggie of a favorite cereal
fudgesicles
granola bars
pre portioned ice cream cups 90-100 calories each
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,729 times
All of these ideas sound great. I got a lot of good ideas from reading everyone's posts.
If you want a treat like ice cream, fudgsicles was mentioned and creamsicles aren't too bad either. I also happened to try ice cream sandwhiches called Skinney Cow that didn't seem too bad. (i love ice cream sandwhiches) They are a little expensive. 3.98 for 6 at Walmart or if you have an Alde store they have their brand and they are 2.99 for 6. They are 140 calories and 1.5 gram of fat. They have the sugar free ones also

Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
The FATFREE Recipe Collection

I am a devoted fixer of vegetable soups, myself. Add a half a cup of barley to the slow cooker to give it some heft and it's a meal in itself, won't even need oyster crackers.

Oh, I got a great recipe for bean salad that can be used as a sandwich filler as well. Rinse and drain a can of garbanzo beans, and toss it in a teaspoon or so of curry powder with a dash of onion powder as well. Add raisins, chopped apples and celery and lemon juice to hold it all together and keep the apples white. Any proportions you like. The author added cumin too but that was way too spicy for me.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:50 AM

16 posts, read 32,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chords View Post
Fruits are good sugars, so it's not the same as processed white sugar, which isn't good for you at all. I recommend eating fresh fruits and vegetables with little meat consumption. If you do eat meat, try to stay away from fatty meat which isn't good for you.

If you follow this sort of advice you'll end up deficient in b12 which only comes from meat.

Also, you'll lose out on the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K2 which are extremely important to your health. FOr instance, you cannot deposit calcium from your blood into bone without A,D, and K2 all working on concert.

What happens to the calcium then? Ever heard of calcified plaque?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Anything diffrent you can add to our menu?
Once entering middle age, I guess my metabolism shifted. One morning I woke up and I had jumped from 160lbs (my optimal weight) to 190lbs. Yuk!!

I needed to change my diet permanently to go back down and stay at my optimal weight.

I've found a low-fat diet by far the most sustainable. Those slim fast, weight watcher, etc programs don't work because sooner or later you've gotta go back to eating normal people food. And the low-carb thing is just gross.

Therefore, I never eat cheese, any fatty desserts (fruit cups OK), order everything without mayo, never eat fried foods, rarely eat red meat or real eggs, never use butter or whole milk, and stay away from white bread or nuts. I also never drink regular soda pop. I always read the nutritional information and go for the lowest fat option possible.

Typical day:

Breakfast:
Toasted bagel with nothing on it
Zero fat cereal with no fat milk

Lunch:
Grilled chicken sandwich with veggies dry
Baked potatoe chips
Diet Soda

Dinner:
Fish filet with white rice and boiled asapargus

I know this diet sounds unpleasant but really, the longer you stay on the low fat diet the more you get used to it. And you really do get used to it and will enjoy the low fat food choices in time.

Eventually you'll find fatty foods drenched in cheeses and sauces pretty disgusting. Moreover, I've found I can eat normal or large portions of food and maintain my ideal weight as long as the fat content is minimal.

So now I always fit in skinny people clothes.

Just my .02

Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 PM

I eat tons of fresh fruit and raw vegetables with great results -- I'm baffled by these people who seem terrified of eating anything containing carbohydrates. People ask me how I stay thin but in the age of Atkins it's not fashionable to take my advice .

I don't know what you're eating already, but if you don't already have it let me suggest Rawsome! by Brigitte Mars -- it has hundreds and hundreds of ways to incorporate more fresh, raw foods into your diet, for maximum vitamin and mineral intake, better digestion and amazing taste.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I eat tons of fresh fruit and raw vegetables with great results -- I'm baffled by these people who seem terrified of eating anything containing carbohydrates. People ask me how I stay thin but in the age of Atkins it's not fashionable to take my advice .
Because low carb diets have been proven to be very healthy ways to eat time and time again while producing excellent weight loss results.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacckk View Post
If you follow this sort of advice you'll end up deficient in b12 which only comes from meat.

Also, you'll lose out on the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K2 which are extremely important to your health. FOr instance, you cannot deposit calcium from your blood into bone without A,D, and K2 all working on concert.

What happens to the calcium then? Ever heard of calcified plaque?
But if you eat too much meat and dairy -- as in, using it as more than a condiment -- you drain the calcium from your bones to neutralize the resulting over-acid condition of the blood. And what happens to the calcium then? Stones, my friends.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Because low carb diets have been proven to be very healthy ways to eat time and time again while producing excellent weight loss results.
The exact opposite has been proven! Even vegan low-carb diets have killed people and caused other fun things like permanent kidney damage. Dr. Atkins himself died young, AND fat.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chords View Post
Fruits are good sugars, so it's not the same as processed white sugar, which isn't good for you at all. I recommend eating fresh fruits and vegetables with little meat consumption. If you do eat meat, try to stay away from fatty meat which isn't good for you.
I reccommend not eating a low fat diet to the OP for starters. The low fat diet is not a healthy diet since fats are very important for your body whereas carbohydrates have no value at all. Of course you should eat some carbs in the form of non starcht vegetables for the wonderful health benifits.

Fruit sugar acts the same way in the body as processed white sugar. I would not eat too much fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss