Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:14 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

That article lists no study, no reference. It's just someone's opinion. Again, there is no reputable study that proves this. This is from the article:

It's become one of the favorite chuckling points of fast food workers everywhere: the overweight person who orders the Super Giant Bacon Cheeseburger with extra mayo and a large order of fries ... and a Diet Coke. The real problem is, while this is a fairly outlandish example, it describes something that many dieters do, something of which they may not even be conscious. One of the most common ways it happens is the "upsizing" of meal combos. Dieters will focus on the larger diet soda, and conveniently ignore the fact that they may be doubling or even tripling the calorie, fat and sodium intake from the larger order of fries.

And I agree with that. THAT is why people gain, or cannot lose, when the drink diet drinks. Use your head. It's all upstairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 04:23 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,597 times
QUOTE=Honeycrisp;10979504]Aside from diet sodas contributing to overeating, diet coke has some kind of acid that can rot the enamel on your teeth. I love the stuff but after several small cavities, I decided to listen to the dental hygenist and am hoping my next checkup will be better. They did suggest Pro-enamel toothpaste and some mouthwash (can't rem. the name of it) that are supposed to help but it's better to avoid it if you can. Apparently diet ginger ales and lemon/lime diet sodas are OK. I'll still get a glass of diet coke if we go out to eat or have pizza but by and large, we have a ton less recyclable bottles these days, LOL! I do miss it but it gets easier each day, I like ice water too but it's not quite the same but I rather avoid cavities and am hoping that makes a difference.[/quote]

Yep-try soaking a dirty coin (cent) in a bowl of coke for an hour-comes out lovely and shiny

There is a lot of stuff out there about artificial sweetners leading to "grazing".
and increasing the potential for weight gain, compared to drinling sodas with sugar in.
Diet drinks may make you gain weight - Telegraph[

Old 10-02-2009, 05:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Exactly. I've read both sides of the story. There is no real evidence for diet Coke spiking your insulin. In fact, one story I saw on the news awhile back did blood testing with many people after drinking regular and diet sodas. The diet soda crowd maintained normal blood sugar. What it is is people who drink diet sodas a lot think they are cutting sugar and therefore they can consume more calories elsewhere. Take the combo meal at fast food places....Get a super sized burger and fries with a diet Coke!
I do that because I prefer the taste of diet Coke; I am not kidding myself in terms of the caloric content of a fast food meal.

I think some people still gain weight or do not lose weight on diet sodas because they overestimate the calories they are "saving" by drinking a diet drink. There is also some evidence to suggest that diet drinks stimulate your appetite.

I have been a diet Coke drinker for years and it never has had a positive or negative effect on my weight. I used to be morbidly obese and a diet Coke drinker. I am now a normal weight (no surgery) and pretty fit, and am still a diet Coke drinker. It has no effect on me.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I do that because I prefer the taste of diet Coke; I am not kidding myself in terms of the caloric content of a fast food meal.

I think some people still gain weight or do not lose weight on diet sodas because they overestimate the calories they are "saving" by drinking a diet drink. There is also some evidence to suggest that diet drinks stimulate your appetite.

I have been a diet Coke drinker for years and it never has had a positive or negative effect on my weight. I used to be morbidly obese and a diet Coke drinker. I am now a normal weight (no surgery) and pretty fit, and am still a diet Coke drinker. It has no effect on me.
I prefer diet Coke (or Pepsi) myself. Regular soda just tastes funny now. I find it has no effect on my appetite, but I don't drink a whole lot of it. Maybe 1 a day if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss