Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:19 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times

Advertisements

Or try mixing 4 ounces of fruit juice with 4 ounces of club soda - you'll still get that "fizz."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrieMA View Post
HI EVERYONE!!

Well I am 44 yrs old and I am, I hate saying it, obese! I am 5'7 and weigh about 218 lbs. I don't eat right, but I am working on that. My major problem at the moment is that I drink A LOT of Pepsi. By A LOT I mean about a 2 liter bottle a day, sometimes more. I know that this is really bad for me, but it is a habit, maybe an addiction, I am having a very hard time breaking.
I started drinking Pepsi when I was in my 20's and I haven't stopped since, cut back at times but never stopped. About 2 years ago I finally switched to Caffine Free but I just haven't been able to cut it out completely. I know that I really need to get rid of it. So this is where I need some help...

I would like some opinions... like should I just stop "cold turkey"? remember, I have been drinking it for 20ish years! should I cut back on it first? Like should I only buy 2 bottles for the week? Or should I just pass by them in the market all together?

Also, what should I drink instead. I do NOT really like water. Even though I know how good it is for me, I have a very hard time getting through a whole bottle of it. I have tried to flavor it with lemons and limes. Anyone have any other suggestions? what else can I flavor it with?
what else can I try drinking? are there any other GOOD for you drinks out there? Like a good juice? or something??

I just know that I need to make this change for my OWN good. I just wish it was easier.
Thanks I look forward to some great suggestions!!
What is the deal with Pepsi? I know women who say the NEED it. Must be something in it.

Easiest thing to do is NOT BUY IT. If you dont have it in the house, then you cant drink it. As far as other drinks, most fruit drinks are loaded in sugar. However, Ocean Spray makes a no sugar added cran-raspberry drink that we sometimes give the 2 year old. The wife drinks it as well because she doesnt really like plain water.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
Try soda water. It is just water with carbonation in it. No sugar or anything.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 PM

433 posts, read 1,142,904 times
My husband got me a seltzer bottle, co2 cartridges, and soda extracts. You can get the extracts from Williams Brewing. I also like mint tea. Get some fresh mint leaves(I grow mine) add a little sweetener like splenda, diabetisweet, or even a bit of agave syrup(low glycemic).

Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
Can you do diet? I know diet at first tastes like crap compared to the regular stuff but after you force yourself to drink it for a few weeks then the regular stuff tastes far too sweet. I recommend something like Coke Zero over just plain diet (it has a different flavor and you can get cherry or vanilla which are good)--you can still get you caffine but also have no calories.

If you buy fountain drinks and can't go cold turkey try doing 3/4 diet with a 1/4 of the real stuff--

Also try to cut down on flavored beverages all together. Make it your goal to only drink one glass of soda per day (and diet at that)--your body and skin will thank you for it. I'm not a big water drinker but I force myself to drink 32oz at work every day--
A lot of researchers are saying diet soda doesn't really help people to lose weight....possibly because the fake sugar actually increases craving for the real sugar...so people end up eating lots of sweets instead of drinking non-diet soda. Probably the best thing to do is quit all soda.

TO THE OP: This might sound radical, but is there an Overeaters Anonymous group in your area? A friend of mine goes religiously and lost over 50 pounds and has kept it off for over a year now! She did so well her best friend (who now lives in another state) started going to Overeaters Anonymous in her area and lost over 30 pounds in a few months! After the fact, my friend told me she never thought of herself as an overeater, but she realized she definitely was. It sounds like you are ahead of the game. You KNOW you have a problem, which is a good start.

It sounds like if you had a sponsor from OA, it could help an awful lot.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrieMA View Post
Thank You all so much for the suggestions! They are all great! I think I have to just go cold turkey, but I am already finding it hard. Everyone around me thinks I am joking, maybe cuz I started on April Fools? But no one is taking me serious yet, and it is so automatic for me to say "yes please" when someone says "Pepsi?"!! UGGHH THIS IS GOING TO BE HARDER THEN I EXPECTED!!
I am going food shopping today, and this is the first time in YEARS I will NOT buy my Pepsi!!! I love all of the suggestions you have given me and will pick up a few different things to try....
Thank you!!!

Now I have to burst your bubble, a bit...but you must know or else you will turn to Pepsi and not know why-

withdrawal symptoms- you will have them.
Headaches, shakes, hostility, anger, depression, moodiness, sleep disruption, anxiety, etc.

Just be aware that the severity of these will depend on how addicted you are...

just talk with those around you and give them a heads up.
These things can last up to a week.
You have to have a plan in place or else you will find yourself going out in the middle of the night in your pajamas in search of Pepsi.

I thought I was going to die that week I went off the Dew...I turned to Excedrin PM to just sleep it away.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
As an aside, most store-bought juice is garbage as well. It is usually a little concentrate, some water, and a ton of sugar. It's almost as bad as soda oftentimes. I have a juicer that I use to make my own juice so I know what's going into it.

I just don't understand what is so hard about quitting stuff like this. You just stop. I haven't drank soda in twelve years. I don't crave it at all. I'd rather drink water any day.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:59 AM

513 posts, read 541,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
As an aside, most store-bought juice is garbage as well. It is usually a little concentrate, some water, and a ton of sugar. It's almost as bad as soda oftentimes. I have a juicer that I use to make my own juice so I know what's going into it.

I just don't understand what is so hard about quitting stuff like this. You just stop. I haven't drank soda in twelve years. I don't crave it at all. I'd rather drink water any day.
Well, gee, thanks Captain Perfect, sorry us little inferior beings are cluttering up the board here.

Tell ya what, go shoot heroin for a week and then "just stop".

Old 04-03-2010, 10:03 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I totally agree. Its Effin soda. SODA!!! Not cigarettes or alcohol. Its SODA!!! Just quit. Dont buy it. Dont have it in the house. Even if the OP does have it in the house, there is a little thing called self control that we humans have.

Heck, I like beer. I actually will go so far as to say that I LOVE beer. But I usually only drink it during a big sporting even like the super bowl, championship fight, or when Im at Staples Center watching the Lakers. Other than that, I dont have it in the house.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:11 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
I quit soda cold turkey. Ok I still buy an occasional one here and there at the gas station. If we are having a party I buy some too because I know other people like it.

I switched to Crystal Light peach iced tea or water with lemon. That's what I drink 99% of the time. Dasani Lemon flavored water is yummy too. Oh and real iced tea w/ Splenda is also good.

Coke Zero is good and A&W diet cream soda too, those are the only diet sodas I'll touch, but I rarely buy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss