Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:14 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
Well, gee, thanks Captain Perfect, sorry us little inferior beings are cluttering up the board here.

Tell ya what, go shoot heroin for a week and then "just stop".
I drank soda every day of my life up until I was 18. Then I realized how unhealthy it was and I just stopped. I did it cold turkey. All it takes is a little willpower. Is that too much to ask of people nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I just don't understand what is so hard about quitting stuff like this. You just stop.
Clearly, if it were that easy, no one would need advice or encouragement, then would they? What's the point of getting irritated at people who need help? It's great for you that you were able stop drinking soda and never crave it. Congratulations.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
I have a Nalgen bottle I keep with me and some individual serving diet tea powder mix in my purse or the slimfast protien drinks (fruit or lemonade) that help give that same energy perk as sugary carbonated soda.

When I crave a little carbonation fizz I drink a can of lemon/lime water like Mendota Springs.

In the late afternoon before dinner I drink a cup of hot green tea and again late at night if I find myself craving a snack. It helps me cut cravings immensly.

Not only are you going to enjoy the health benefits of weaning your way off of soda but you will love the money you save! I know I have.

Oh, one hint: If you decide to go the "weaning route" instead of "cold turkey" STOP purchasing 2L bottles. Buy the more expensive small (6 oz) individual bottles. Allow yourself only one or two a week and nothing more. You'll have to think about it more carefully when you are paying more to get less.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2010, 01:11 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Clearly, if it were that easy, no one would need advice or encouragement, then would they? What's the point of getting irritated at people who need help? It's great for you that you were able stop drinking soda and never crave it. Congratulations.
I would agree if we were talking about substances that causes addiction (nicotine, alcohol, drugs (not marajuana because it is not addictive)). This is soda.

Its like saying:

"Im addicted to Rice Krispy treats, please help me."
"Im addicted to watching Oprah Winfrey, please help me"
"Im addicted to cleaning my ears with Qtips, please help me"

But we are friggin' talking about soda. We humans have minds and can consciously make decisions on what we eat. Really, if someone has difficulty with NOT drinking soda then I feel sorry for them because life must be miserable.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Not a whole lot of helpful advice here. Just, PLEASE stay away from artificial sweeteners. They have been proven to be very dangerous.

If you must use a sugar substitute, use stevia, agave juice or honey.

Best of luck in your efforts.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-03-2010, 03:23 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,327 times
So, how has the last day been?

I never rally drank a lot of soda, maybe a can of diet coke at lunchtime if people were going to the machine...maybe kept some in the fridge for a week, but no addiction, as others might have.

Last year, I gave soda up for Lent and still to today have never had any. I was drinking tea or lemonade...I agree juice is all sugar if you don't juice it yourself. This Lent I gave up all drinks except water and have done it no problem. Maybe because it was a Lent thing in my mind it seemed easier to maintain.

I would think that not even having it in the house will help you more than cutting back. I have a feeling that once you finish the one bottle for the week it would be to easy to go run and buy another.

An idea for water- Add slices of cucumber. I have no idea what the science behind it is, but it makes the water taste really good. I like plain cold water, but I will add lemon/lime. I don't drink tea anymore, just water. Give it some time, get past the first 3 days and then past the first 3 weeks and you can do it just fine.

Think how clear your skin will be!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I would agree if we were talking about substances that causes addiction (nicotine, alcohol, drugs (not marajuana because it is not addictive)). This is soda.

Its like saying:

"Im addicted to Rice Krispy treats, please help me."
"Im addicted to watching Oprah Winfrey, please help me"
"Im addicted to cleaning my ears with Qtips, please help me"

But we are friggin' talking about soda. We humans have minds and can consciously make decisions on what we eat. Really, if someone has difficulty with NOT drinking soda then I feel sorry for them because life must be miserable.
Again, congratulations on not having this challenge. Sugar is very addictive to some people, and bad habits can be hard to break. I believe that encouraging others and offering solutions is more constructive than saying, "Your problem is stupid and your life must be awful."

Old 04-03-2010, 03:42 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Again, congratulations on not having this challenge. Sugar is very addictive to some people, and bad habits can be hard to break. I believe that encouraging others and offering solutions is more constructive than saying, "Your problem is stupid and your life must be awful."
Plus, caffeine is addictive. That's where you get the withdrawl symptoms. It's a true problem.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Plus, caffeine is addictive. That's where you get the withdrawl symptoms. It's a true problem.
Yes, caffeine can be very addictive! The OP switched to caffeine-free a while back, though--I missed that the first time.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:32 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times
I used to drink 3 Cokes a day. I cut back to one (I still have it because I love and its one pleasure I am not about to deny myself) and lost 5 pounds in the first two weeks, just doing that. I then joined a gym with DH (best thing we've ever done for our health!) and started going six days a week. I cut my portions and I have lost 30 pounds. I still eat everything and anything I want, pizza, burgers, cookies, etc., but I halved them and it has made a tremendous difference. I just tell myself I can either have three oreos or none at all, not the whole package. That, and an almost daily 30 minute workout.

Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss