Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times

Advertisements

Just tell people you cant eat the cake because of your blood sugar........
Then go to the party and don't eat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 03:03 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
seriously, as much as I love cake, I would gladly swear them off for an Edible arrangement (got one this year and loved it). maybe for the next birthday, get people in the office to spring for one of those instead. or, now that it's summer and berries are in season, bring in some chocolate covered strawberries or, if cake is a "must" an angel food cake w/ in season fruits. last case scenario, ask for mini cupcakes instead if they "must" have cake and just have a tiny cupcake

I can understand how office sweets can ruin a diet. one of my jobs used to have two cakes every month for birthdays (one yellow, one chocolate). while it was awesome they appreciated the employees like this, it was becoming a temptation that was getting hard to avoid. now they've moved towards having one cake (found a bakery that makes half yellow/half chocolate cakes) and having finger foods like crudites and fruit platters

Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Just say no, Ant. Seriously.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:07 AM

889 posts, read 2,712,357 times
I know what you mean. I'm a "health freak," but I work at a restaurant with all sorts of baked goods. If that's not bad enough, everyone brings in little snacks to share with everyone. Some days I can resist, other days I can't.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Frankly, I hate it and they are sucking me into their eat fest. I just had 4 varities of cakes so far, tortillas, steak, chips, salsa for some employee appreciation crap or something.

Free lunch, yeah, but geez.

My office is one of a kind, there is junk food lying across in every corner. Donuts, bagels, cookies, cakes, potlucks once in 4 days.

Half my building is fat, obese or super-obese. Why do they even do it?

I was sooooooooo good in my diet all week, and suddenly today's ruined it all. I even smell like a cake now. I do have a weakness for cakes, good ones.

And this has been the norm in almost every place I worked. Pizzas and cakes rule, with all the fatties swarming around it like flies on a jackfruit. Why won't they stop?

And I've been told several times that I am anti-social and not very team spirited when I pulled out of several food things and eat fests. It's political. They hate the fit boys. How do I educate the masses that all this junk food fests is not good for them?
I have the same problem, only it's with alcohol.

I'm an alcoholic and my wife and I go out and eat every week in nice restaurants that serve alcohol.

Most people around us drink, hell even my wife will had a drink every now and then but I know I have a problem with alcohol so I never touch it.

If I fall off the wagon do I blame the setting I'm in or the people around me? Nope, It's my choice if I drink, not the setting, not the people drinking around just me.

I've had people before try and offer me a drink that didn't know I'm an alcoholic and all I do is refuse it. So far everyone I tell that I can't drink has had no problem. Most people will respect me when I tell them I don't drink and the few who don't get a stern look along with me telling them again that I don't drink.

The choice is up to you. Tell your coworkers that you are on a diet and that you would love to eat junk but that you choose not to. Most should understand and if they don't tell them again and walk away.

I learned along time ago that alcohol was going to be around me weather I'm drinking or not. It's almost impossible to not be around it where I live, New Orleans but it's my choice if I drink or not same as it's your choice if you eat junk or not.

Plus don't feel bad if you ate a little cake, think of the good you've done so far on your diet. That's a lot to be proud of my friend, so don't let it set you back, just move on and learn from it.

busta

Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,702 times
Default I'm allergic !

I have made my choice ~~ not to be obese and unhealthy ! It is my personal choice and I have maintained these ideals for many years and have been successful !

When anyone urges me to eat anything which I know to be unhealthy.... my excuse for refusing is to say "I'm allergic" !! I'm allergic to all dairy products ! I'm allergic to junk food! I'm allergic to processed food! Red meat / deli meat / anything containing hydrogenated fat / ETC.

I'm allergic ! That excuse seems to always work

Old 06-17-2010, 06:45 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I have made my choice ~~ not to be obese and unhealthy ! It is my personal choice and I have maintained these ideals for many years and have been successful !

When anyone urges me to eat anything which I know to be unhealthy.... my excuse for refusing is to say "I'm allergic" !! I'm allergic to all dairy products ! I'm allergic to junk food! I'm allergic to processed food! Red meat / deli meat / anything containing hydrogenated fat / ETC.

I'm allergic ! That excuse seems to always work

This was going to be my suggestion too! I actually am, so I often have to inform people that I can't eat what they are offering, and it VERY rarely goes beyond "I'm allergic".

I do understand the political thing. It can be like that at my dh's office. Lucky him, he can eat pretty much whatever he wants, but he does try to eat healthy and that rarely goes over well. Hard to argue with someone's allergy though.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times
Thumbs down Why do we have such a hard time saying 'No'?!

AC and the majority of you other posters...I agree 100%...it is a real problem in the workplace. There are some people who live on this stuff. How? Doesn't it ruin their health after a while??? Personally, I cannot eat it...at my age, a few bites and I gain 5 pounds, my abdomen bloats, and I feel awful. I often hear the same thing from people I know. So...what are we gonna do about it???

Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,343 times
Do you call them fatties to their face? Next time just tell them you don't want cake because you don't want to be a fatty like them. LOL

Old 08-01-2010, 10:16 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
I agree with the other posters, just make up a health excuse if they insist(allergies, blood sugar, gastritis), and if you are tempted and fall for it, don't repeat the portion and stick to your diet. It's not eating a piece of cake what ruins your diet, it's what you do after that, many people just postpone their diets(many times indefinitely) and go back to overeating. What your other coworkers do with their bodies is not your problem. Live and let die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss