Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM

523 posts, read 3,804,735 times

Advertisements

"technically" anyone who finds bigotry or prejudice distasteful will find your posts offensive.

if you care to label me as obese if it suits your high school mentality, sobeit. but you'd be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 02:53 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Somehow I have the feeling that you are not without flaws of your own that irritate your coworkers.
I beat them in the office corridor and cubicle running race and they hate that

They often cite the hare and the tortoise fable as a warning

Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM

I mean what the heck is wrong with the world.

Some good Samaritan left a huge tray of cut fresh fruits of all kinds in the pantry this morning. Saw it at 8:45 and took a few grapes, apples and pineapple pieces.

Almost noon and I just headed for some cappuccino after my meeting and the damn thing is still in the same state it was left, except some minor diminishing.

I'm simply puzzled. If this were bagels, donuts or pizza, the fatties would have decimated it in milliseconds, like flies on a jackfruit. Seriously???

Old 08-17-2011, 01:20 PM

106 posts, read 287,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I have changed offices now. Working in a new office with a 40% pay hike

Anyway, back to the fatties. This is like the energy conservation rule in Physics. Energy in one form is always transformed into another. It never disappears. Same here. Different office, but fatties abound here. But fatties of another form.

1. They won't use lifts, they climb on stairs. They claim it's healthy. Wow, yes.
2. They bring all sorts of Lean Cuisine trays. A different one each day. One that famously read, low cal chicken alfredo LMAO
3. They are all enrolled in company organized weight watchers programmes.
4. They take looooooooong walks after lunch. The office campus is huge with gardens, fountains, trees and birds that can sing for another depressing John Keats poem. Some walk fast in pairs, they go round and round, 2 or 3 rounds. They claim it's their daily exercise.
5. They keep speaking about their low cal food they bought it from the TV ads.

And they are still fat

I don't get it. LOL. And here is what drives me mad about them. This is how they describe me - "Oh, Tony's our new Mister Wonderful. Oh, and, he is a health nut, he eats based on a spreadsheet, works out twice"

Health nut?? Seriously??

Points 1 thru 5 and they call me the "health nut" LMAO

At least no more junk food bringing, that problem has been solved. To even bring a cake, they need to get clearance from the security and the scanners at the gate with manager's approval. Too much hassle to even think about bringing food

But......... they have this huge cafeteria where they have a dessert corner filled with cheesecakes, black forrest ones, cookie bars blah blah blah. They disappear at speed and the chefs keep restocking them. Guess who gobbles them up at rocket's pace?
Ant -

You make good points, and you ARE correct in some regards, but you are seriously lacking tact in your delivery, straight up. Your passion here stirs the pot, and while that might garner some results and induce some people to think a bit, you are also pissing people off with an arrogant attitude that makes it really seem like you think you are a perfect person, so there is no sense in trying to tell you nothing. So you can do what you want with this info. I'm just bringing you a bit of straight talk since you seem pretty comfortable giving it. I've been guilty of the same thing. I'm learning that it usually causes more harm than good and makes you and others feel rotten inside.

If you give a rip, read my post about this from a little while back on a thread about fat americans.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...l#post20319365

here's an excerpt from it, which lines up with your 5 bullet points because most people truly 'believe' that those are healthier things to do and are confused when they find that it doesn't work. Is that their fault? Partly, but I think most of the time, ONLY partly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronk View Post
Some people are totally to fault for their own condition. Some people know that their decisions are getting them in trouble and making themselves obese, and they do it anyway. Very sad.

Heres the deal though. It's not always their fault! In fact, I would say, in the majority of cases regarding people who are overweight, they got that way because they were MISLED. Almost the whole world is misled when it comes to nutrition and fitness. We are taught all the wrong things. We are taught to avoid saturated fats. We are taught that eating breads and low fat white meat is healthiest. We are taught that cholesterol free oils are the healthiest oils. We are a nation of sheep being herded into chronic health issues by the millions. Oh, and the sheep are blindfolded, because, well... the blindfolds are for the safety of the sheep, as mandated by the government. We wouldn't ant to remove the blindfolds, and cause confusion, and mass histeria or anything.

It's probably not the best idea to be judgmental towards obese people. I'd wager a fair sum that won't work out well. What we need to do is HELP them!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
It's threads like these that make me appreciate my workplace even more . Every once in a while someone will bring cake or cookies but they just leave it on the counter in the kitchen with a sign that says 'have at it!'. We Loooove the leftover catering and most Of that is fruits and veggies. Nobody here gives a crap if you decline, or if you participate.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Ant -

You make good points, and you ARE correct in some regards, but you are seriously lacking tact in your delivery, straight up. Your passion here stirs the pot, and while that might garner some results and induce some people to think a bit, you are also pissing people off with an arrogant attitude that makes it really seem like you think you are a perfect person, so there is no sense in trying to tell you nothing. So you can do what you want with this info. I'm just bringing you a bit of straight talk since you seem pretty comfortable giving it. I've been guilty of the same thing. I'm learning that it usually causes more harm than good and makes you and others feel rotten inside.

If you give a rip, read my post about this from a little while back on a thread about fat americans.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...l#post20319365

here's an excerpt from it, which lines up with your 5 bullet points because most people truly 'believe' that those are healthier things to do and are confused when they find that it doesn't work. Is that their fault? Partly, but I think most of the time, ONLY partly:
You again, Jack? Didn't we have a back and forth sort of bickering in the other thread??

I don't know if I want to believe you LOL, just kidding, compadres.

Anyway, here are some of the greatest hits from the fat crowd.

At the office cafeteria:
"Low-fat mayo on whole wheat bread, please"

At Starbucks:
"A tall skinny latte, thank you"

At the breakfast cafe:
"Zero-fat yoplait strawberry yogurt and an apple, please"

On omelette day:
"Egg whites only, thank you, and no cheese, well wait, half a slice of pepperjack"

"I have stopped eating rice, I take brown rice and quinoa instead"

"I always buy 15-grain, 8% fibre, pepperidge farm bread"

"I like mozzarella cheese, made from skimmed milk"

I mean, who gives a rat's bum, all I am asking is why aren't you shrinking if you eat so good

So, spare me, get a box of waffle fries and at least be yourself. Please

Old 08-17-2011, 03:02 PM

106 posts, read 287,519 times
Ant-

I get it. I even agree with you actually. I hear all the same stuff. It's freaking maddening. The oblivious-ness of people. I am very in shape, ripped with muscle and people at my office know that I eat differently. Everybody knows it, and many comment on it and joke around about it to poke fun, but month after month, they see my consistency. Joking and jabbing turns to curiosity, which turns to questions and then actual interest. Some people have made significant changes because of this. I don't ever pressure. I don't ever judge. I just try to lead by example.

Some people, though, who are much heavier than me, still don't get it. They see me eating butter on a sweet potato, or pouring pure cream (real cream) into my coffee and tell me how horrible I am. They sit there with their nasty lean cuisine (I used to eat lots of those too when I was ignorant) and tell me how I shouldn't eat too many hard boiled eggs because of the cholesterol in the yolk. I just chuckle and look at them and sometimes give them the "who farted" look of disgust as if to say "hellooooooooo. um excuse me but... look at me. might you want to reconsider your thoughts on this." They have been jabbing me about it for months. Yet I don't gain a single ounce of flab and continue to pack on muscle. They are still very overweight. Maybe it will take longer. Who knows.

It's a wonder. Some people just don't get it, and I just don't get that.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's threads like these that make me appreciate my workplace even more . Every once in a while someone will bring cake or cookies but they just leave it on the counter in the kitchen with a sign that says 'have at it!'. We Loooove the leftover catering and most Of that is fruits and veggies. Nobody here gives a crap if you decline, or if you participate.
When I wrote the OP, I was in the mid-west and prior to that in the Carolinas, with Bank of America, more like the obesity bank, where every one of my managers had a girth problem

Every Friday we'd all go to some high end place in downtown Charlotte, and they will start it off with cheese laden french onion soup..... and the rest of the week, lean cuisine histrionics.

I even was requested to taste it once. Never in my life had I eaten anything worse like that. Why would someone kill themselves if only they took a 4 mile walk every day

But that lean cuisine is no good coz there will always be junk food lying around and when I go to meet them, there will definitely be a frappuccino and a piece of cake in their desk with a fork shoved in it. They always start like, "Oh Angela brought this home made cake/cookies all the way from South Carolina, team spirit yada yada yada........"

Old 08-18-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Ant-

I get it. I even agree with you actually. I hear all the same stuff. It's freaking maddening. The oblivious-ness of people. I am very in shape, ripped with muscle and people at my office know that I eat differently. Everybody knows it, and many comment on it and joke around about it to poke fun, but month after month, they see my consistency. Joking and jabbing turns to curiosity, which turns to questions and then actual interest. Some people have made significant changes because of this. I don't ever pressure. I don't ever judge. I just try to lead by example.

Some people, though, who are much heavier than me, still don't get it. They see me eating butter on a sweet potato, or pouring pure cream (real cream) into my coffee and tell me how horrible I am. They sit there with their nasty lean cuisine (I used to eat lots of those too when I was ignorant) and tell me how I shouldn't eat too many hard boiled eggs because of the cholesterol in the yolk. I just chuckle and look at them and sometimes give them the "who farted" look of disgust as if to say "hellooooooooo. um excuse me but... look at me. might you want to reconsider your thoughts on this." They have been jabbing me about it for months. Yet I don't gain a single ounce of flab and continue to pack on muscle. They are still very overweight. Maybe it will take longer. Who knows.

It's a wonder. Some people just don't get it, and I just don't get that.
Finally, a person who understands

I know exactly what you mean. When I see the dump of lean cuisine boxes, the annie's low cal lunch blah blah blah in the trasher of the pantry, I'm left standing like this ~~~~~>

I have heard the same about egg yolk. People who work with me have SWORN off egg yolk literally, coz some tv pundit said so. I take three to four eggs every day and I'm not gaining any weight. Actually, egg is good for you, coz the body reacts well to real eggs than boxed egg whites with God knows what was done to it prior to the packing. I still buy those egg whites though, I use them in my protein shake drinks at times and sometimes scramble them with pepper.

I have no grudge with the fat folks. But I am tired of the constant onslaught of healthy eating and low-cal gibber. That is the ONLY thing they talk about. I wonder if they want to send out a message like, "I may be fat but I am working on it with this health crazed diet and therefore I rock". They go to Chipotle only coz the board there reads that they naturally raise their animals.

You can find the n word and the o word in their conversation every 30 minutes. Even half-and-half has to be organic

Many a time I wanna scream at them and ask, "then why the F aren't you shrinking?"

The worst is when they make a fuss when going out for lunch. I order my food in less than 10 seconds. It takes a minute for them and it starts from low-cal ranch dressing

Old 08-18-2011, 07:17 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I just eat completely healthy at home, no junk food, no take-out or delivery,no packaged convenience foods, no desserts. Just three squares cooked from scratch with no hidden ingredients. And then when there's an evil snackie around, I can enjoy it and a little bit won't hurt me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss