Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
How do you know Lyle McDonald is a tool, have you met him?
No, but I know people who have and to a person they all have the same opinion. He also doesn't hold much respect in the body building world.

Quote:
I can't believe that kind of mentality. If anything, I would think his book on ketogenic dietary would be a very helpful reference, considering how many diets are based on that principle.
Let's be clear here. This is NOT Lyle McDonald's diet. He simply took something that many other men had been using for decades, put a little of his own spin on it and called it his own. I've read his book and it's decent, but there are better ones out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times
Well whoopdee doo. Lyle McDonald strikes me as a very knowledgeable person, and also very *hot*. He's apparently very well known online, that's gotta say something.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
I never said he wasn't knowledgeable, just that he isn't this great man of pioneering vision that he presents himself as. As far as being well known online, so is Kevin Trudeau. I don't put McDonald in the same category as him, but you get my point.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 PM

He is hot. I agree though--- he's not Barry Sears. Still, I'm interested in what he has to say.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:00 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,069 times
I have just completed my second week on the Dukan Diet and lost 10lbs without feeling too deprived or starving.

It is a diet that appeals to me because allows me to eat real food instead of funny juices or meals substitutions. I find it easy to follow even those days when I have to eat on the go (I just carry with me a boiled egg, a couple of cans of seafood,etc) and I love vegetables, which are introduced after the first week.
I do miss pasta, rice and pizza (I'm Italian!!!!) but I know that eventually I can start eating them again in moderation.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 PM

I've done a month of protein only Thursdays. Love it, overall just an amazing regime. Dr. Dukan goes right to the point in his book and says that most people are big babies and *need to be told what to eat* and that this strategy is the *only way to achieve long term weight loss goals*. He also says that people who can't or won't follow a diet are immature!
Pierre Dukan, M.D. - exclusive interview | Think Slim

http://www.think-slim.com/wp-content/p_dukan.gif (broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
I have just completed my second week on the Dukan Diet and lost 10lbs without feeling too deprived or starving.

It is a diet that appeals to me because allows me to eat real food instead of funny juices or meals substitutions. I find it easy to follow even those days when I have to eat on the go (I just carry with me a boiled egg, a couple of cans of seafood,etc) and I love vegetables, which are introduced after the first week.
I do miss pasta, rice and pizza (I'm Italian!!!!) but I know that eventually I can start eating them again in moderation.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:55 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,792 times
I've been doing Dukan for about 2 weeks now, and I've lost 9 lbs virtually effortlessly (no increase to my activity, still just doing my walking and swimming, and playing community sports).

I'd lost quite a lot of weight on another program, but was unable to continue due to circumstances beyond my control.
Managed to lose a few more lbs on my own using Weight Watchers at home, but then "stalled/plateaued". (Sorry, but I just need to be able to attend the meetings for the support, and they aren't offered in my remote area.....)
Stayed at that weight for a few weeks (was pretty proud of maintaining though, as my maintenance track record is pretty abysmal!) and then started thinking about maybe bloody Atkins again--which I hate because it just does my head in; I become completely distracted to the exclusion of everything else and I need to be able to focus at work, not obsess over how many net carbs I have or haven't ingested....

A friend from work mentioned Dukan. I did some research and worked out that it's not unlike Atkins, but easier. At least for me it's easier.

Admittedly, when I was doing the Attack Phase, I must have taken it too far (6 days, was actually pushing for 7) because the 4th Attack day I started having really weird heart palpatations that I couldn't shake off, and couldn't find cause for. Went to the hospital on Attack day 5, and they did a series of ECG's and all kinds of stuff. As I wasn't in pain or discomfort, no shortness of breath, blood pressure fine, blood sugar fine, pulse ox was good, no dizziness etc, they sent me home with the advice to come back the next night if I was still having them. Had them all night, and all the next morning, and then had lunch (grilled chicken breast, 1/2 cup combined of peas and carrots--even though not supposed to have peas...) and within 2 hours (maybe less?) heart palps were totally gone. I'd had them for nearly 72 hours non-stop and then eating some veg they went away.

My theory? I simply went too far for my own good with the Attack phase and it threw out my electrolites (which the hospital did not check). Not sure what else it could be. I take a daily multi-vitamin and mineral supp, and drink plenty of water (at least 4 litres most days, as it is still summer here). Can't work out what else it could be.

anyway, I'm now doing the Cruise phase, doing 3 pure protein days, 1 protein/veg day, 3 PP, 1 PV etc, and I feel absolutely fine. No more heart palps. I feel pretty good (job stress not withstanding). The only thing I do differently is intake probably a tad more fat than Dr Dukan advises (slice of avocado in my salad), as I feel that a certain amount of fat is not only palatable and satisfying but also essential for uptake of fat soluble vitamins. And I let myself have a small amount of peas, but no potatoes or rice, no bread or pasta. Other than the extra fat and the peas, I follow it pretty much to the letter.

Well, except that I have hot water with the juice of a lemon every morning first thing, even though you're only supposed to have lemon juice as a squirt here and there for flavouring. A nutrionist turned me on to hot lemon water first thing in the morning years ago, as an alternative to coffee or tea with milk. It helps me wake up and I know that lemon is really good for your liver and gall bladder, plus I just like it.

so I think that Dukan is worth looking into, but of course, it will not be for everyone.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
I thought it read "Dunkin Diet"...yes, I used to be on that diet! The Dunkin' Doughnut Diet!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
I thought it read "Dunkin Diet"...yes, I used to be on that diet! The Dunkin' Doughnut Diet!

....lol. sounds good to me

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-22-2011, 01:39 PM

I've been doing Dukan for about a month and love it.... it is a perfect approach for perimenopause. I've been doing the one day a week of all protein, enjoying a little bit of high carb meals one-two days a week, having oat bran daily and otherwise following his guidelines the rest of the week and I feel...... renewed!! Dukan is a brilliant doctor, he really gets it.

This is what he says about why overweight people need to follow a diet:

So what the overweight individual is looking for is an outside will, a decision maker, who walks on ahead of them offering guidance, providing them with instructions, more instructions and even more instructions, because what the overweight individual most hates and simply cannot do is decide for themselves when and how they are going to deprive themselves of food.

As for managing their weight, an overweight person will admit without shame--- and why should there be any?--- that they are weak and even immature. I have known all kinds of overweight people, from every social background, ordinary people to the great and good, executives, bankers, even politicians, intelligent people, brilliant and eminent people, but who have all sat there in front of me and described themselves as being astonishingly weak when it comes to food, using it like a greedy child and unable to stop themselves.

He goes on to say that the reason overweight people put weight back on is that they, left to their own devices, will go back to their old ways, which is why to ensure permanent success people need guidelines to follow the rest of their lives:

"They need instructions that are simple enough but specific, effective and not too frustrating so that they can be followed the rest of their life."

Dukan hits U.S. bookstores mid April!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss