Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Labs can do quite well with apartment living. A little devoted training goes a long way.
Wasn't the lab I was thinking about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Boston Terrier or the Bichon however both dogs will not enjoy being alone if you work long hours!
Australian Terrier also is a nice dog and I have one now however hates to be alone. My other Aussie
was ok with me working so besure you do check with a good breeder b4 you say I do

Old 07-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Labs can do quite well with apartment living. A little devoted training goes a long way.
Just as Marley and Me
and if she works and comes home to tired to run a lab, major trouble big
time!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Just as Marley and Me
and if she works and comes home to tired to run a lab, major trouble big
time!
I guess the labs that I've known have been the exception. *shrug* My brother's lab lived the first three years of his life in a NYC, and was none the worse for wear after the experience.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:27 PM

Regarding getting a dog from a resuce etc., I had also thought great. That is not always the solution
since they want people who have a fenced in yard etc.! I did offer maybe 10 plus times and got
turned down by rescue. First donot work I did pass than no yard with a fence the big hang-up
with them! What seems right for one person may not be for the other. Yes, I did cross them off
my list for a dog. However, I have one here that is great even with no yard. Many people live in
great apartments and have no fenced in yard, why the hang-up I have not a clue. Anyway I have a Villa and it has a yard but not allowed to
fence it in. O well life does go on-

Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Many people live in
great apartments and have no fenced in yard, why the hang-up I have not a clue.
Because, in the case of no-kill shelters, they CAN. It's joke now among my family and friends that I would NEVER have been accepted to get my pup if I had applied for him. I live in an apartment and work outside of the home. Never mind that this pup gets more love and attention that he can handle.

Of course, these are the same shelters that won't allow people to adopt cats if they keep their toilet lids open in their home. Seriously??

Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
We applied to several shelters before we got Willie, and at least one rejected us as adopters solely because we work outside the home. It would be nice if everyone who wanted to adopt could adopt, but there are shelters that make it difficult, unfortunately.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Because, in the case of no-kill shelters, they CAN. It's joke now among my family and friends that I would NEVER have been accepted to get my pup if I had applied for him. I live in an apartment and work outside of the home. Never mind that this pup gets more love and attention that he can handle.

Of course, these are the same shelters that won't allow people to adopt cats if they keep their toilet lids open in their home. Seriously??
Yes, and I do wonder why they have so many pets who do need a great home! Home I am here, maid do that well, petsmat super well, walks at your
demand puppy! bed many, puppy picks my bed! If my gosh I die, puppy
has care pet trust, however, I am not good enough Crazy and Silly the toilet is down now please
puppy age ten do not tell on me! What a joke it is! Vet Care the best and flea meds and heartworm also she gets most of all Love! Frankly, I got real tired of rejection and did decide not to go that way again. Also I wonder if they did know this economy is real bad!

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-09-2010 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 06:02 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Folks.. you can state your opinion without attacking the OP. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

We have many dog rescuers on this forum, who put their heart and sole into saving dogs from shelters.

You don't have to agree with everyone but please leave wiggle room as any one of us can be wrong. Take in consideration all the facts.. such as someone thinking of adopting a dog in a couple of years vs someone looking to adopt today

As always please report posts that do not comply with our ToS.

Thank you

Old 07-09-2010, 06:18 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
....ost rescues - especially in the south - will adopt out of area. We're in middle TN and have adopted as far as NJ and UT.
I'll vouch for that. Mrs1885 drove from her shelter to Indianapolis to get me my Bigun, and he's been a bundle of joy ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs