Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:28 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Because, in the case of no-kill shelters, they CAN. It's joke now among my family and friends that I would NEVER have been accepted to get my pup if I had applied for him. I live in an apartment and work outside of the home. Never mind that this pup gets more love and attention that he can handle.

Of course, these are the same shelters that won't allow people to adopt cats if they keep their toilet lids open in their home. Seriously??
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We applied to several shelters before we got Willie, and at least one rejected us as adopters solely because we work outside the home. It would be nice if everyone who wanted to adopt could adopt, but there are shelters that make it difficult, unfortunately.
i am kind of a "free-lance" transporter and i also do home visits..... i have approved one single gal in an apartment and just approved a family that did not have a fenced yard..... i do not look for the "perfect" home.... they don't exist.... i look for what i think will be a good or great home for the dog in question......

i know that there are rescues out there with impossible to meet standards.... heck, my own home would probably not be approved by them..... but i also know that all four of my furfaces are in FAR FAR better circumstances than they came from and are happy, healthy and well-loved and well cared for.... and in the end, isn't THAT what matters??

all that said, i have the same reservations about the op that the steelstress expressed...... ..... just too many alarm bells ringing by what has been posted about the original 12 y/o dog and the plan for the new one...... i have seen the results of disposable animals when life circumstances change and owners do not have the will or the determination to accomodate the furry family members.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM

268 posts, read 704,210 times
Oh my, honey...please go get your old lab back. Poor thing is 12 years old, I can't imagine how traumatized she must be in unfamiliar surroundings. She is near the end of her life, please take her and love her during the time she has left.
My military husband and I have crossed the country numerous times with our elderly, big breed dog. I would no sooner give him up because of a move than I would surrender my flesh and blood. We all survive these long trips, trust me !
Also please understand that ALL DOGS have something negative, alot of smaller dogs are barkers too, no dog comes without alot of work and dedication, no matter what size and/or age they are. It is a huge responsibility, adding another living thing to your daily life/routine. My dogs consume ALOT of my time and energy on a daily basis. Please make sure you are totally aware of the ramifications if you adopt again. My 25 year old son is a huge dog lover and is dying to adopt, but we have had serious conversations about this and he has agreed that it would be selfish of him to do this right now, he wants a dog more for himself than for a dog, get it? So examine your emotions. Once I painted a scenario to my son of his possible long hours at a new job, imagining Fri. evening and co-workers want to catch a burger and movie after work, but you have to get home and walk/feed/train your dog....I asked him if he had decided not to travel freely at whim anymore and if not, what contingency plans would be in place? because a dog is very dependent, it is not a house plant or a cat.
I truly wish you the best of luck but I do encourage you to reconsider.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
We have 2 dogs turned in to our AC shelter because the ppl moved to a no pet apts and the shelter in our city is not a no kill shelter. While we are lucky to have a great AC officer, there are no guarantees that these dogs will find a home.

If your boyfriend is allergic to dogs I suggest you do not adopt or buy a dog. It isn't the dog hair that they are allergic to, it is the dander. Maybe you could foster a dog before you make a commitment you can't keep

Old 07-09-2010, 07:29 AM

417 posts, read 1,068,537 times
I definitely agree with the foster route...it would give you a chance to see if your boyfriend's allergies will be effected as well as to see if you can handle the commitment. Along with all the other posters, a dog is a huge commitment but it definitely can be done if you're willing to devote the time. My boyfriend and I are both in our mid 20s and before getting our pup, discussed the pros and cons. Keep in mind that with a dog, as another poster mentioned...your social life will be effected. For instance, I got asked to go to happy hour last night but knew my bf was working a little later so I turned it down..the pup comes first! (And to be honest, I probably had more fun at the dog park after work!) But anyway, I'm not saying it can't be done..in my case, my Sydney is definitely worth any missed happy hour or dinner out with friends..its just knowing ahead of time that your lifestyle will need to adjust and making plans for the dog if something were to happen between you and your bf. Also keep in mind that it limits down the apartment search in a major way. Lets say you do find an apartment that is dog friendly, if you decide to move again..it must also be dog friendly...it limits your options (unless you buy). Most complexes are not dog friendly, and most that are have weight limit requirements..we were lucky to find a complex that did not have weight requirements (since Sydney will probably be around 40 lbs) and our next step will be to buy in the next few years. But enough with my rant, just trying to offer some friendly advice, and good luck if you do get a dog!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:11 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,434,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Regarding getting a dog from a resuce etc., I had also thought great. That is not always the solution
since they want people who have a fenced in yard etc.! I did offer maybe 10 plus times and got
turned down by rescue. First donot work I did pass than no yard with a fence the big hang-up
with them! What seems right for one person may not be for the other. Yes, I did cross them off
my list for a dog. However, I have one here that is great even with no yard. Many people live in
great apartments and have no fenced in yard, why the hang-up I have not a clue. Anyway I have a Villa and it has a yard but not allowed to
fence it in. O well life does go on-
Look into other rescues. Most of my dogs have been adopted into homes that don't have fences. That's why there are leashes. And plenty rescues will adopt long distance. I'm in middle TN and have adopted dogs into NJ and UT.

Find a rescue that wants to do the right thing. Save lives. Much better option than buying from a breeder.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:45 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
The "right choice" depends on the situation.

Doing the "right thing" is not a black and white issue, not at all.

In my adult years, I have not had an animal that was bought from a breeder, or even obtained from a shelter or rescue. These animals seem to "find me". Heck, they must KNOW a sucker when they come upon her. Funny thing is, as I'm sure I have mentioned on here, I probably wouldn't have been approved for the adoption of the kitten or puppy that have found me. As a matter of fact, I was told by the SPCA in New Orleans that they could not guarantee that I would be able to adopt the kitten that I found under my car, should I engage their help in trying to catch him. Really? Do you all really have the luxury of selection like that? (Fortunately, I don't know the answer, because I took matter into my own hands and caught him with a live trap and some tuna fish.)

From my experience, I'm also pretty sure that I would not have been able to adopt the puppy that has become the light of my life over the past 5 weeks. I'm single, I work, I live in an apartment. I'm not an "ideal candidate" at all. But it sure seems that my little guy is none the worse for wear for having to hang in his crate during the day. Trips to the lake and around town sure seem to make up for the "lack of attention" he gets during the work week.

From my experiences with animals, I'm a firm believer in kismet. (Hence my pup's name...Kizmet.) Finding this little guy tied to a tree with twine? The fates must have been aligned that day. But, by the same token, I was loathe to call animal control, knowing that I would probably get the same answer I got with the kitten in New Orleans. "Yup, we'll take him, and after the waiting period, you can *apply* to adopt him". No thanks.

ETA: With all of that being said, my parents and my bf have dogs that were purchased from breeders. My parents dog is an English lab, bought from a breeder whose labs have won best of breed at Westminster, but who now focus on assistance dogs. They only agreed to sell my parents this dog because my brother had one of their dogs as well. Nicest, most mellow animal I've ever met. And, he works for the two of them.

My bf has a "maltipoo", purchased from one of his customers. Best thing that has ever happened (for the two of them).

This arrangement has worked for them. Getting the puppies that they wanted, when they wanted them. I cannot fault them for this decision.

"Should" they have gone to the pound or to a rescue? Nah...their lives are enriched by these dogs, and vice versa.

As has been said, dog ownership is a commitment for a LONG time. You've got to get the dog you WANT, or it won't work.

Last edited by mishigas73; 07-11-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 AM

426 posts, read 1,571,185 times
^^ Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs