Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times

Advertisements

it definitely depends on the store and who is working there. i haven't found that they're any cheaper than many of the independent groomers in my area though, so unless there's a particularly good groomer there there's no real incentive to go there. i'd just ask dog owners in your area to recommend their favorite groomer - you could even make a post asking for recommendations on your local board on here. if someone at your local petsmart is highly recommended, go there and ask for them. if not, go somewhere else. one of the best groomers in my area worked at a petco for many years, so you never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 AM

73 posts, read 218,231 times
thanks everyone. I will definitely ask around and see who people recommend. I'm sorry some of you have had such awful experiences. I would hate for anyone to handle my dog or anyone's dog too roughly or in a way that could cause injury. I may consider using our vet since they also have an on-site groomer.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:17 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
I took my Yorkie there and my only complaint was they shaved the hair on his tummy and butt so close he had razor burn.

One thing that happened in Tampa was a groomer was using a box that blew in hot air and several puppies died because of the heat. IIRC they were puppies but could have been small dogs

Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,375,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
What?? WHAT???? That's awful! Artie is a groom-free beast, thankfully (he would NOT endure it well if he needed to be "handled" by strangers), but I find this eyelash thing so completely odd.

In fact, it's disturbing... when it's raining outside and we're walking, Artie squinches his eyes so that the rain doesn't get on his eyeballs. I imagine that his eyelashes help tremendously.

Can you tell them to stop that eyelash cutting nonsense? I really also hate the idea that scissors are getting so close to your dog's eyes.
I am finding a new groomer--not sure why they continue to cut his eyelashes. I love his eyelashes. I think they are using the shaver and get too close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
the one and only time i've used petsmart for grooming, they wrenched my shih tzu's back so badly that by the time i got him home he was screaming in pain and not able to walk. don't ask me what they did to him -- twisted him getting him up on the table? were rough on him when they were moving him around? didn't support him when they lowered him? i have no idea -- but i do know i will never, ever use a petsmart again.

it took a vet visit, keeping him completely immobile, and 72 hours worth of prednisone to fix a problem he didn't have before he went in. (since then, he has been diagnosed with invertebral disc disease, and i have always wondered what role this incident played...) poor barnaby!
OMG---that's terrible!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:51 PM

214 posts, read 1,002,642 times
The variation between each store and groomer is what keeps me away. I took my Persian there once and they almost choked him. One groomer took him from me and put him on one of the grooming tables that had just been used for a medium size dog, and she put the noose around my cats head and walked away without adjusting the height of the noose.

Thankfully, I happened to still be in the store finishing some paperwork, and noticed my cat was struggling and then saw his face and how he was clearly in distress. I basically flew across the counter to unhook him. This sort of oversight was just not acceptable to me, so I left and have never been back.

I know there are good groomers to be found at Petsmarts, in fact I have a friend in another state who I is a Petsmart groomer, who I would totally trust with my cats, but the inconsistency is what will always keep me away.

If I need grooming services, I will always go to a smaller locally owned store that has references.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
i only ever used them to cut bailey's nails .... and they didn't seem to ever file them smooth once they cut them .... she could inflict SERIOUS damage with those rough, scratchy nails.......

then i started taking her to our vet's office for nail trims.... last time i did that i KNOW i heard her yelp from the back.....

now, i take her to a woman affiliated with a rescue that i do a lot of work for.... she lives close to me, is a trainer and groomer out of her home, LOVES cattle dogs and bonus.... she doesn't charge me.....

Old 07-23-2010, 02:18 PM

73 posts, read 218,231 times
I ended up finding a place locally that had great recommendations. They did an excellent job on my little pupster. I was glad to find also that they had experience grooming his particular breed. He is a Cavalier King Charles.
I also decided Petsmart would be a gamble ...may be great, may be awful...and I didn't want to take that chance.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,936 times
Hi!

I worked there, at a Petsmart, for a few years... (too long!)

I am a good, caring person and groomer but not all that are employed there in the pet salon are the same.

I did have several clients that requested me and would not go to other groomers in the salon, for many reasons.
So, It really does depend on the Individuals working at the particular Petsmart that you frequent.
You may get "lucky" and find someone special to care for your four-legged friend although do be prepared for salon associates to Not be friendly, not show compassion, but instead... Ready to "up sale" your pet groom and take your money!! and your pet may be there,... for Hours!

It is not all the salon associates' fault... corporate Petsmart Requires them to put pressure on customers... they, salon associates, are "rewarded" for bringing in higher priced grooming's whether it is needed for the pet or Not!!! ... and for doing more grooms, faster faster fastest!!!

Sorry, long winded!
But I am sure Glad I do not work there anymore because they, management, don't really care about the pets and it is ...mostly...about the money.
"good" people don't always last long there, surprised I did, because if you are "slower" and take more care then you do less dogs...

but there may be a good groomer at your locate store, all is not "bad"! just need to find out by others that have just picked up pet, stop them and ask if they would tell you if they had a good experience or not.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,362,207 times
Every time we took my older lab there he came home with an ear infection. Although I told them to cover his ears to prevent water from coming in, I don't think they ever did. After two times of the infection, we perceived a connection and never brought him back. I honestly would rather bathe Jett ourselves. It takes little time and we make sure his ears stay dry!

Old 07-18-2014, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 613 times
I have used Pet Smart for grooming in the past They do an adequate job. However like the other person responded, I requested that they not cut her eyelashes (she is a Shih Tzu), and they did every time. I stopped using them for that reason. I started going to a private groomer (not associated with a store), and I have the same problem, Everyone cuts her eyelashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs