Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times

Advertisements

As a general rule coyotes are pretty well trained not to come over concrete block walls. They have all run into the two pit bulls or a rottweiler and have learned that it is very hazardous to their health. We have an 18 lb dog and 18 lb cat that freely wander in the backyard. Actually the cat wanders wherever it wants but generally stays in the backyard shrubbery looking for something to kill. We would doubt any single coyote could take the cat though the dog might be in more trouble.

Our cul de sac has had a large number of cats who come and go freely...all who are departed died of old age.

If really concerned and the dog is small get a pet door into the garage with an electronic entry. We used one in CA to keep out the wild life and it worked very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 06:13 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,667 times
Appreciate the responses. The back yard is surrounded by the standard 6' wall all around. Although Ive seen a lot of coyotes they've all been in the front yard or on the street, never in the back.

I'm thinking it would be a challange for a lone coyote to get back there let alone a pack. I was just wondering in case. I think a boxer may be a fair fight.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Appreciate the responses. The back yard is surrounded by the standard 6' wall all around. Although Ive seen a lot of coyotes they've all been in the front yard or on the street, never in the back.

I'm thinking it would be a challange for a lone coyote to get back there let alone a pack. I was just wondering in case. I think a boxer may be a fair fight.
A coyote is not in the least limited by the wall. Can go over one as fast as a cat. Just won't. In general they are not very big. Under 20 lbs.

At one point a few years ago we had a neighbor with a pair of Cheetahs. Male was over 40 lbs. They were allowed in the backyard. Can you imagine a coyote coming over that wall? And once in that yard there was no way out.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Our cul de sac has had a large number of cats who come and go freely...all who are departed died of old age.
Sounds like the production set of CATS!

Grizabella: Memory...all alone in the moonlight...I can smile at the old days. I was beautiful then. I remember the time I knew what happiness was...
Let the memory...live again.

Last edited by jfkIII; 07-27-2010 at 09:07 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
not to sound stupid, but don't you think that you would be jeopardizing the life of any dog by getting one in your situation whether it would be a pitbull or a foofoo dog

Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
In all seriousness Aggrofish, I think getting a goldfish might be better for you. Just don't forget to feed it and keep it inside.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:07 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
If you really want revenge on that coyote...make it a piranha, instead!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
not to sound stupid, but don't you think that you would be jeopardizing the life of any dog by getting one in your situation whether it would be a pitbull or a foofoo dog
No not in the least assuming I get a big enough dog.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Sounds like the production set of CATS!

Grizabella: Memory...all alone in the moonlight...I can smile at the old days. I was beautiful then. I remember the time I knew what happiness was...
Let the memory...live again.
Actually Biffer...the feral on the patio...could have starred in CATS. Until she got old she was the true Las Vegan. She came for the comps and then left. And if you extended a hand to her she attempted to remove it. Perfectly willing to go kill dinner if not offered up at the proper time.

When she was older and a little more domesticated we heard a terrible row on the patio. Sprite...the varmint hunter supreme and Biffer the bane of small creatures had a teacup chihuahua trapped between them and were arguing about who got to eat the thing. The chihuahua was putting up a brave defense but he was done for...until the Admiral snatched him from the predators.

Tito the chihuahua now lives happily next door...all two and a half poinds of him. Probably safe from the Coyotes unless one has him for hors d'oeuvres before a rabbit.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
In all seriousness Aggrofish, I think getting a goldfish might be better for you. Just don't forget to feed it and keep it inside.
I'm going to assume you're joking, but I've kept salt water aquariums for 10 years...any animal is easy in comparison. I've also had a bull terrier, a rottweiler, and a doberman just not in an area with coyotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs