Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:21 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I think we are getting carried away...

Eastern coyotes typically weigh 30-50 pounds and are 48-60 inches long, approximately twice the size of their close relative, the western coyote.

Wildlife Profile: Eastern coyote - N.H. Fish and Game
I have to agree with Granny. I saw three coyotes in the back of a pickup in Northeast Texas last fall that were all over 65 pounds. Diet and habitat has a big influence on their final size.

There is a pair living on the River Oaks Golf Course in Houston and the male must be >70 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 05:52 PM

293 posts, read 1,036,082 times
Small dogs do better inside from the elements. Especially the short nosed breeds. They are companion animals.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
There is some literature on the subject.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_d...s/mason042.pdf

It is rather interesting. It seems clear that the eastern coyote is a recent hybrid likely of wolf and western coyote.

It would appear that samples larger than 50 lbs are very rare.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
The 70 coyotes in the referenced study were collected between 1993 and 1996. I don't even recall much mention of coyotes then - but they have certainly been increasing in numbers drastically since then.

Relavant to the post is that along with this surge in coyote population is that they routinely enter the yards of folks I know. Mainly early morning/dusk/later - and they have been known to kill dogs and scale fences, and be quite bold.

I threw out 85lbs because that was the weight of one large male that had been killed by a friend. I have no reason to doubt her and it easily could have been crossed with something else; which all of these articles support as happening. (coydogs and coy-wolves)

Grey wolves have been noted as large as 175lbs (typical 75-125) and Red Wolves up to 80lbs. Why is it not plausible that a cross might be 70-80lbs? I am not discounting the "average" weight, just that there are some large specimens.

NYS Museum Press Release: STATE MUSEUM RESEARCHERS CO-AUTHOR STUDY ON COYOTES

Old 07-31-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
The 70 coyotes in the referenced study were collected between 1993 and 1996. I don't even recall much mention of coyotes then - but they have certainly been increasing in numbers drastically since then.

Relavant to the post is that along with this surge in coyote population is that they routinely enter the yards of folks I know. Mainly early morning/dusk/later - and they have been known to kill dogs and scale fences, and be quite bold.

I threw out 85lbs because that was the weight of one large male that had been killed by a friend. I have no reason to doubt her and it easily could have been crossed with something else; which all of these articles support as happening. (coydogs and coy-wolves)

Grey wolves have been noted as large as 175lbs (typical 75-125) and Red Wolves up to 80lbs. Why is it not plausible that a cross might be 70-80lbs? I am not discounting the "average" weight, just that there are some large specimens.

NYS Museum Press Release: STATE MUSEUM RESEARCHERS CO-AUTHOR STUDY ON COYOTES
There may well be some coyote that is a pituary giant that weighs 125 lbs. That is however pretty much irrelevant to the coyotes with which one deals. Here they seldom get to 20 lbs and there they rarely get past 50.

According to the NY State conservation dept they seldom attack even medium sized dogs. Much more likely to make a deal.

Let us leave it at that. They are dangerous to things they can eat but seldom to things bigger than that.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:26 PM

Coyote Attacks on Children

This site links to news storys from legitimate agencies concerning coyote attacks. This is a growing problem.

Where on earth did ANYONE say anything about a 125lb coyote? Olecapt, I will defer to you on your experiences with Western Coyotes in New Mexico. I don't live there. I see coyotes frequently in South Carolina and some of them are pretty darned big. Sorry. I work with dogs regularly and I know what I am seeing is often bigger than my 50lb female GSD.

Last edited by grannynancy; 07-31-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Coyote Attacks on Children

This site links to news storys from legitimate agencies concerning coyote attacks. This is a growing problem.

Where on earth did ANYONE say anything about a 125lb coyote? Olecapt, I will defer to you on your experiences with Western Coyotes in New Mexico. I don't live there. I see coyotes frequently in South Carolina and some of them are pretty darned big. Sorry. I work with dogs regularly and I know what I am seeing is often bigger than my 50lb female GSD.
And here is the similar link for attacks by pit bulls...

Pitbull Attacks, Maulings, and Killings (http://pit-bulls.christianfunfair.org/attacks.htm - broken link)

Thus demonstrating the pit bulls are at least an order of magnitude more dangerous than coyotes.

So what?

I believe the threat of coyotes is being blown all out of proportion....including such things as doubling their size. Even the big eastern don't go 80 or 85 lbs...40 or 45 would be a large normal coyote.

If you live in the wrong spot you should take suitable care. Otherwise it is just another side concern...

Old 08-01-2010, 05:05 AM

Olecapt. We can choose to disagree about the size. I will trust my own eyes and the direct reports of friends more than your websurfing. Having some friends with suburban "farms" I see Coyotes quite frequently.

Concerning the articles - The site is a bit extreme but the links in the more recent articles are to legitimate sources like NBC, CBS, CNN etc. - Basic standard news agencies and not simply anectodal forum fodder. I am not trying to sensationalize this but rather point out this is a growing situation as the OP expressed what I feel is a legitimate concern about leaving dogs out and coyotes. and I can say that because I have 11 years experience out in the woods at night and dusk on a search and rescue team. We are also seeing an increase in bear issues. We have also intruded upon much wildlife habitat without respect for migration lanes, deer trails, etc.

I believe we should be doing things to convserve wildlife but these animals are very common and, unlike Western Coyotes, seem work in packs and are not as elusive as they were 20 years ago (though they are still typically not very bold, but hunger and familiarization do strange things) If I lived anywhere near the woods I would not be leaving a dog out overnight in a back yard unless they were in a covered pen with a concrete pad..

Old 08-01-2010, 07:53 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
i can GUARANTEE you that the fella that followed us that morning was more than 40-45 lbs........ he and his pack are living in a large, wooded, protected park with LOTS of prey for them to eat....... and the main danger to them is each other......

Old 08-02-2010, 01:54 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,311 times
Rarely see packs of them here unless it is female and pups. Have seen 2 run together. Wolves and cougars which are moving back east among other smaller predators like ferrets owls and such are taking some easier prey away from the coyotes and with cities taking more and more of their normal habitat you will see more in towns looking for easy meals like cats,small yapper dogs and such.
They may pack up more near cities also as less room to make their territory. the reduction in trapping and hunting as fur prices dropping and to many against hound hunters does not help the growing population either.
Look at bears near dumps how they grow with easy pickens. A friend of mine and his hunting crew during winter hunts with dogs can take out quite a few and other hunters out there also. Good hunting days get 5-6 coyotes but if get lucky can get 2-3 running at once as if same area and pack of hounds catch scent and yotes hear them in area off they are. People feeding deer and such (so yard up) keep coyotes fed as if snow gets deep and crusty coyote runs on top deer break through easy meals. Get a year with little snow fall deer harder to get and then it is mice bunnies and squirrels yotes will not get as big.
So a place with less hunting pressure and ideal conditions for a easy meal can see some larger yotes out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs