Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The problem is that coyotes run in little gangs and they fight to kill. Dogs tend to be soft by comparison and they tend to live by rules. If you have dense coyotes, you can't safely leave a dog outside unattended regardless of breed.
Agreed! coyotes travel and work in packs. When we were living in Northern Ca., I had coyotes in a back field who approached our fence all the time. I had 4 good sized Goldens at the time and according to the vet, they were relatively safe as long as all 4 were together. A pack so to speak. But...once my females went into heat, all bets were off....they HAD to be kept inside at all times...as the coyotes would have jumped/came through the fence in order to breed them. I never let the dogs out if I were not home. Not worth it...So in ans. to your question...no fufu dog is going to be safe, especially a lone guy. Fufu's and cats are prime targets for coyotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:45 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
It might be a different variety out here but back east I ran into a coyote that stood and looked as large as a moderately sized german sherpherd.

thats about the size of the fella that followed bailey and dave and me on our walk one morning..... he stayed far enough back that he was not a threat to us or we to him..... but DEFINITELY followed us for the better part of a mile or so.....

bailey is about 60 lbs and dave is about 55 lbs and i still would not have wanted either of them to tangle with this fella......

Old 07-30-2010, 03:05 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,311 times
A large hound as long as have fenced area so not take off would do trick or a wolf as they will not stay in area a wolf is at. Small dogs are used to bait coyotes in some area's as a dog will run at them and if smaller than the lone coyote, the coyote will try to eat it where as the shooter then bags his game.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:37 PM

106 posts, read 440,536 times
I have a boatload of coyotes in my area. They mostly come out at night, very rarely during the day. When I hear them, I generally bring my pack in, but the coyotes don't come IN the yard, but I've found the tracks right up to the gate. I have seen them go after most of the cows around here, it's awful sounding. I suppose if I had them get any braver I would have to get the gun out, but that would just break my heart too...

Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
The Eastern Coyotes are MUCH larger than their Western Counterparts - a male can be upwards of 80-85lbs.

About the only dog that would happy living outside and fighting off coyotes would be dogs like Anatians, Great Pyrenees etc - dogs that are raised with a flock of something then guard it. That is the only kind of dog that does not need to be a 'part of the family' because the livestock are their family. You won't have a flock of anything on a half acre though.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
The Eastern Coyotes are MUCH larger than their Western Counterparts - a male can be upwards of 80-85lbs.

About the only dog that would happy living outside and fighting off coyotes would be dogs like Anatians, Great Pyrenees etc - dogs that are raised with a flock of something then guard it. That is the only kind of dog that does not need to be a 'part of the family' because the livestock are their family. You won't have a flock of anything on a half acre though.
I think we are getting carried away...

Eastern coyotes typically weigh 30-50 pounds and are 48-60 inches long, approximately twice the size of their close relative, the western coyote.

Wildlife Profile: Eastern coyote - N.H. Fish and Game

Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I think we are getting carried away...

Eastern coyotes typically weigh 30-50 pounds and are 48-60 inches long, approximately twice the size of their close relative, the western coyote.

Wildlife Profile: Eastern coyote - N.H. Fish and Game
Well, you live in Las Vegas and are quoting an internet site and I live in the SE and know folks who have captured them and have seen them in real life. 30-50 is "typical" but larger older males can be bigger.

Catskill Mountains - Coyote

The point is that they are, in fact, considerably bigger than their Western Countparts, appear to have interbred with wolves and dogs, and have become more frequently spotted in urban and suburban areas in recent years. These are bolder animals.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:05 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,311 times
above 50 pound coyote in Northern Wisconsin the hunters would love as long as pelts good. I have 1 in freezer now car kill which is average size here weighs in at about 35 pounds, Nice mange free male.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:06 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
given enough coyotes, a st bernard.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
My roommate lived in the Texas hill country for the majority of his life, and there is definately a problem with coyotes there. he found the best way to protect his pets and livestock was to shoot the coyotes. so he suggests investing in a 12 gage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs