Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:35 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,026,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewinScal View Post
Where the heck do you live? I am astonished that there are places in the US where these attitudes prevail. It would be great if you could get the commissioner to make these statments in writing or on tape or if his view are public knowledge. I doubt his mandate from the city council ( or from wherever he derives his authority) is to "eliminate unwanted animals". This is a sad example of one person taking his twisted personal views and confusing them with his responsibilities under the law. If he hates dogs/animals, perhaps he should not be working with them. Would we elect someone who hates children to be the commissioner of the board of education? I dont see why vunerable animals deserve anything less.

And municipal employees DRINKING on taxpayer time? And then getting in their van and DRIVING? And no one seees this as a problem? Seriously?

Sorry for the rant. This sort of gratuitous human cruelty really makes my blood BOIL!!!

sadly, it is an attitude all too prevalent in the southern and southeastern states .... particularly in the more rural and small town areas......

they're JUST dogs ..... they're JUST cats......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 02:40 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Apparently the set up at the shelter is different than what I was thinking. They weren't outside a gate where mom couldn't get to them. Either way they were still washed into the drain and left there, sitting in raw canine sewage. And after the trainer saw them and was told she had to leave, the staff all left and headed out for God knows what, leaving them still in the half filled sewage drains.

Guys I don't know if I want to kill them or just cry that this country has people so sick and heartless. I'm so angry and mad all rolled into one.

Photos are of mom and babies, shows babies in the drain in sewage water. Thank God they're safe and clean and warm and have full bellies now.
Attached Thumbnails
So sick of our animal control-drain7.jpg   So sick of our animal control-drain6.jpg   So sick of our animal control-drain5.jpg   So sick of our animal control-drain3.jpg   So sick of our animal control-drain2.jpg  

Old 07-28-2010, 03:36 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Apparently the set up at the shelter is different than what I was thinking. They weren't outside a gate where mom couldn't get to them. Either way they were still washed into the drain and left there, sitting in raw canine sewage. And after the trainer saw them and was told she had to leave, the staff all left and headed out for God knows what, leaving them still in the half filled sewage drains.

Guys I don't know if I want to kill them or just cry that this country has people so sick and heartless. I'm so angry and mad all rolled into one.

Photos are of mom and babies, shows babies in the drain in sewage water. Thank God they're safe and clean and warm and have full bellies now.

Those poor poor babies. Was that person able to pick them up yet?

Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,074 times
So, the sewage drains run right through the kennels? Without a grate or anything? I'm not sure how someone would keep newborn puppies out of the drain in that situation. Why didn't Mom pull them out? I'm so confused. Definitely not an acceptable place to keep a mom and brand new babies though.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
So, the sewage drains run right through the kennels? Without a grate or anything? I'm not sure how someone would keep newborn puppies out of the drain in that situation. Why didn't Mom pull them out? I'm so confused. Definitely not an acceptable place to keep a mom and brand new babies though.
Yep. Lovely, eh? I'm sure when it was put in there were grates. But they probably got clogged and it's hard to clean them out with the fire hose with the grates there, so they probably just removed them for their convenience.

Not sure why mom didn't pull them out. He said she was terrified and wouldn't come out from that are she was in. She was wet herself, obviously had been sprayed with the hose. Survival of the fittest does dictate that if you're babies are in danger and you feel you are too but can escape, you take care of you, right? I think that's what I remember from school. So maybe she was so scared she was only thinking of herself? IDK.

Either way, for sure no place for puppies. They're settled in really well now though. Mom's been very good about feeding and cleaning them.

More pictures attached. And we're working on getting that puppy out of there too.

And I'm seeing lots of doxie in this girl. Anyone else?
Attached Thumbnails
So sick of our animal control-mom1.bmp   So sick of our animal control-mom2.bmp   So sick of our animal control-mom3.bmp  

Old 07-28-2010, 04:40 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,026,135 times
sure is a purdy girl .... and yeah .... based on her markings and her feet, i'm thinkin' WAY more doxie than jrt ..... who came up with THAT??

Old 07-28-2010, 04:52 PM

128 posts, read 470,711 times
Doxie was my first thought as well. I can't get this out of my mind.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:56 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
I know how you feel. It is that way in the south unfortunately. Where I live we had enough ppl from other areas who got together and complained about the conditions at the shelter. The AC guy bragged that he put down all the animals when he had vacation, he was removed. He wasn't all bad but it is much better now.

I was at the vets the other day and this guy came in with a little chi and said he was keeping it for his daughter because her husband wouldn't let her keep it inside and it is over a 100 here during the day.

I would go to the state and see if you can get the state law changed to at least hold the dogs 10 days. It is animal cruelty to not feed the dogs for 3 days. Geez I thought it was bad here.

We have a Facebook group now that is working on the candidates for Governor.. demanding they do something about the conditions at some shelters if they want to be elected.

I agree media coverage works wonders.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
sure is a purdy girl .... and yeah .... based on her markings and her feet, i'm thinkin' WAY more doxie than jrt ..... who came up with THAT??
I wish I knew. I'm not seeing any JRT in her at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I know how you feel. It is that way in the south unfortunately. Where I live we had enough ppl from other areas who got together and complained about the conditions at the shelter. The AC guy bragged that he put down all the animals when he had vacation, he was removed. He wasn't all bad but it is much better now.

I was at the vets the other day and this guy came in with a little chi and said he was keeping it for his daughter because her husband wouldn't let her keep it inside and it is over a 100 here during the day.

I would go to the state and see if you can get the state law changed to at least hold the dogs 10 days. It is animal cruelty to not feed the dogs for 3 days. Geez I thought it was bad here.

We have a Facebook group now that is working on the candidates for Governor.. demanding they do something about the conditions at some shelters if they want to be elected.

I agree media coverage works wonders.
We need a lot of things in this state. I'm hoping once I get my DART certification tomorrow it'll give me better standing in the state to at least lobby for some welfare laws and some laws pertaining to shelters and how they are required to care for animals. This is BS and quite frankly I'm sick of it. Sick of the people that don't care and sick of the ones that think spraying a dog with a fire hose is funny. Just sick.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:21 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,235,208 times
Take it to the media for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs