Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times

Advertisements

Got a call from our shelter coordinator this morning about a momma jack russell mix that was dumped in our shelter a few days ago, due any second to have her puppies. Well, apparently last night she had them. The morning crew came in to clean this morning, and like they always do, started hosing out kennels without getting the dogs out first. Including the JRT and her brand new babies!

One of the girls that does temperament testing and training for us locally just happened to be there while he was 'cleaning' kennels. She found two of the puppies washed out of the kennel and laying in the waste drain outside the kennel door where the mom couldn't get to them. Puppies are laying there crying, momma dog is going nutso trying to get to them and kennel guy just laughs and walks away!!

She called my shelter coordinator right away and the husband is on his way to get mom and babies. Told her we'll take them. No puppy should be living in any shelter, but least of all ours.

I've heard horror stories from there that will keep you up at night. We've been battling with the county for over a year trying to get some changes made. They just this year agreed to have visitation hours - one hour per day, 5 days a week, period. Nice, huh? Until recently, all owner surrenders were euthanized immediately. Before you were done signing the surrender forms your dog was already dead and in a pit out back. Now they give them a whopping 3 days to find a home. Woo Hoo!

On top of this, they are not rescue friendly. Our adoption coordinator is also a member of the BOD of our local HSUS. She is the one that's worked so hard to get changes and tried to get them to let rescues help. The only reason she's allowed to pull is because she's got the HSUS name behind her. Little does he know she pulls them for us, not them.

Anyway, her hubby is on his way now to get them. She said as soon as he has them he'll text me a picture and of course I'll get it up here. In the meantime I'm so badly wanting to go down there and every freaking human in that place. I was hoping since it's an elected position I could get the Director voted out, but sadly in my area everyone for the most part has that mentality and people just plain don't care.

I live in a gorgeous area. People are friendly. But they're also clueless and on days like today I just want to move to a place with people that have hearts and brains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:32 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times
Oh dear god, I cannot believe what I just read!

The guy who hosed them should be FIRED POST HASTE! And then tortured for awhile.

mrs1885, you are an angel. Go get 'em!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:35 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
ugh, that is terrible. i think some shelter workers get desensitized because they see so many animals and so much suffering every day. that's no excuse though. i wish every shelter was like the ones in my area. unfortunately if the community's priorities are elsewhere it's hard to make headway on initiatives that require more staff time, space and money.

i don't get the idea of euthanizing owner surrenders right away - so strays would get a small chance at adoption, but owner surrenders would get none? that doesn't make any sense. that especially hits home for me because sadie, who would make a great pet for any family, was an owner surrender, and was in the shelter for 2 weeks before we adopted her. that shelter is a kill shelter, and is the main place where animal control takes animals, but they have adoption and fostering infrastructures in place, with management, staff and a volunteer network who try to make euthanizing for space as rare as possible.

animals in your area are so lucky that you are there to rescue the ones you can rescue. it's tough because you can never save them all, but you have saved so many.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Old 07-28-2010, 11:40 AM

Apparently the county commissioner here that oversees the shelter hates animals. I was told he was bitten by a dog years and years ago and hates them now. His idea - and he will tell you to your face - is that the idea of animal control is to kill the animals no one wants. If he had it his way the strays would be euth'd on site and there would be no shelter, period. But because there is a chance they're someone's pet the county said he has to keep them three days. His thought on owner surrenders is they are homeless and should be euth'd. Everyone here knows that and they take their pets there anyway.

Last Christmas since no one wanted to feed them on Christmas day he just euth'd every animal in the shelter. It's been said he doesn't feed them when they come in because they won't be there in three days anyway, so why waste money. And the stories get worse and more sick from there. It's just a horrible place with horrible people let by a horrible commissioner in a town with heartless people.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:45 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
Poor babies and momma. Can't you make a complaint to your state officials, or contact your county commissioners. Contact your local politicians and see if there is anything they can do to help you. I know what I think of most politicians lately, but they are there to represent you and help you.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:45 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
I'm with DandJ .. in tears .. That was just a sick person .. sounds like the kind that pulled wings off of flies when he was a kid .. ..
::sighs:; that kinda sicko never gets fired

So glad your there for the mom & her pups .. your awesome you know that?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:48 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
are the county commissioners elected? if so, when's the next election?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Apparently the county commissioner here that oversees the shelter hates animals. I was told he was bitten by a dog years and years ago and hates them now. His idea - and he will tell you to your face - is that the idea of animal control is to kill the animals no one wants. If he had it his way the strays would be euth'd on site and there would be no shelter, period. But because there is a chance they're someone's pet the county said he has to keep them three days. His thought on owner surrenders is they are homeless and should be euth'd. Everyone here knows that and they take their pets there anyway.

Last Christmas since no one wanted to feed them on Christmas day he just euth'd every animal in the shelter. It's been said he doesn't feed them when they come in because they won't be there in three days anyway, so why waste money. And the stories get worse and more sick from there. It's just a horrible place with horrible people let by a horrible commissioner in a town with heartless people.

OMG!.. :c rying: thats horrible .. does no one charge him with aminal abuse or cruelty? He is so wrong .. that town is so wrong to allow that
I would go in with hidden cameras and post what was seen on every tv station in town or something... I'm so upset right now I cant do much more than sputter at the whole deal .. ..

Old 07-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Poor babies and momma. Can't you make a complaint to your state officials, or contact your county commissioners. Contact your local politicians and see if there is anything they can do to help you. I know what I think of most politicians lately, but they are there to represent you and help you.
That's the problem. The commissioner supports this behavior. And so does the public. They just don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
I'm with DandJ .. in tears .. That was just a sick person .. sounds like the kind that pulled wings off of flies when he was a kid .. ..
::sighs:; that kinda sicko never gets fired

So glad your there for the mom & her pups .. your awesome you know that?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
are the county commissioners elected? if so, when's the next election?
Yep. Elections are now. Problem is getting the community to actually care enough to do anything about it, voting wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs