Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 AM

426 posts, read 1,571,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
This is why we need to require permits for breeding and ticket illegal breeding harshly. Too many pets are being killed everyday in shelters
Actually, this is usually caused by poor shelter management.

Is pet overpopulation a myth? Inside Nathan Winograd's "Redemption" - SFGate

Quote:
"If ... motherless kittens are killed because the shelter doesn't have a comprehensive foster care program, that's not pet overpopulation. That's the lack of a foster care program. "If adoptions are low because people are getting those dogs and cats from other places, because the shelter isn't doing outside adoptions (adoptions done off the shelter premises), that's a failure to do outside adoptions, not pet overpopulation.
Although your SIL doesn't exactly sound like a saint. Not much you can do about it, though, probably, that wouldn't cause family issues. I second the deep breath suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
oh please, not more nathan winograd bs. i'm sorry, but that guy lives in a fantasyland. his opinions are frankly insulting to the dedicated shelter and rescue workers and volunteers all over the country who work their butts off to ensure that as many animals as possible find homes. it's also pretty irresponsible, since it basically tells people that they can just breed their pets willy nilly and there will always be enough homes for them, that if there aren't it is the fault of shelters.

take the city where i live, pittsburgh. there are 3 major shelters here. one is no kill, and has a huge facility, tons of money and an extensive adoption program. a friend of mine rescued some stray cats and kittens and put them on the list for the no kill shelter. a year and a half later, they took them. a YEAR AND A HALF. that kind of wait is not an option for most people who want to surrender an animal. and these are adoptable animals - they just won't take animals they don't consider adoptable.

the two open door (or "kill") shelters in the city have extensive adoption and foster programs and also have large facilities. they both consider euthanization for space as an absolute last resort, but it does happen. all 3 shelters do everything winograd mentioned in that article - foster programs, offsite adoptions, behavior rehabilitation, trap-neuter-release programs for feral cats, working with rescues, and much more (most notably low cost spay & neuter and other vet care). there are also numerous small rescues that take in all of the animals they can handle. they are generally perpetually full as well.

if there were really plenty of homes out there for these animals, the no kill shelter would not have a year waiting list and no animals would ever be euthanized for space at the open door shelters. but that is simply not the case. in fact, i've lived in 3 states and been very involved in animal rescue in each one, and i have never heard of a no kill shelter that didn't have a waiting list besides the north shore animal league, and they only take puppies and kittens without a wait. i believe that nsal is one of the largest shelters in the entire country, they have massive resources, there are numerous open door and no kill shelters in their region, and even they can't keep up with all of the animals out there.

yes, there are many terrible shelters/pounds out there that don't give animals enough of a chance before euthanization. there is a thread going right now about a shelter like that in tennessee. winograd is right that if a shelter is euthanizing the majority of animals that come in, there is a problem. but that is a far cry from saying that shelters can all go no kill with no repercussions. even given the optimal conditions that we have in pittsburgh, there are still more animals than homes, and the shelters have a choice between being no kill or open door. they can't be both.

Last edited by groar; 08-06-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times
Well not only did she successfully breed her Pug, but, she now went out and bought an eight week old GSD puppy Six dogs and one is having puppys plus ten cats and she has an illegal doggy daycare. She can't afford a proper fence and her car is litterally falling apart because she can't afford to fix it. She refuses to train her dogs to walk on a leash so she can't take them anywhere. She won't groom them and they refuse to let anybody be groomed, have their toenails clipped, or let the vet take blood. If they need to have toenails done or blood taken she has to pay for the vet to put them under general anthesthia Something is wrong with this strange fat, bossy woman

Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Haven't read the whole tread but....is she a hoarder? She keeps getting more "pets" but doesn't (or is unable to) properly care for them....sounds like more than just irresponsible breeding here.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:55 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,936 times
UGH UGH UGH!!!

Aptor Hours,

so sorry that you are having to deal with this... well, dealing with it as much as you are that is. sounds like you have had it... don't blame ya.
what can you do.!?

You can only suggest and advise so much than that is it...

Mainly and Above All i am soooo sad and sorry for all those doggies that she has that, I assume, are not as happy and comfortable as they could be. and not as loved as others,... you, ... me... would give them.

puppies are soooo cute!! people "want" them...
then they (the pups) grow up, start chewing on things of value, start smelling, barking... etc....
now that doggie does not know what happened, what they did wrong or what they didn't do...
all they know is that they do not want to be--
"here" in this cage, ...
There are bars in front of me, cement, hard floor under my feet, lots of other dogs barking around and at me... and ... people, look at me but leave me here. I look at them too, but they are not really "seeing me", with my eyes I tell them, I am lovable and happy-go-lucky...
and here i sit... I get fed, but don't want to eat, I feel something is lost, my heart is not happy, i am cold even though it is hot...
i think i had it better before, so what happened... ?
maybe this is how it is suppose to be, this is where i live now? when will my "family" be back to get me?
I don't know....
I will just sleep, and sleep, what else is there to do, at least the time seems to go quicker that way.
i see more doggies now, coming in, where will they go? getting louder in here. i don't want to bark or talk... i am all talked out, I will wait for someone to visit me and then i will talk, maybe i will get to go somewhere!
i will lay here until then and wish and dream...

Please ... Spay and Neuter your Pets!
if you care about your pets and other pets... the babies they make... just may end up suffering...

Old 09-10-2010, 08:06 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,833,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Well not only did she successfully breed her Pug, but, she now went out and bought an eight week old GSD puppy Six dogs and one is having puppys plus ten cats and she has an illegal doggy daycare. She can't afford a proper fence and her car is litterally falling apart because she can't afford to fix it. She refuses to train her dogs to walk on a leash so she can't take them anywhere. She won't groom them and they refuse to let anybody be groomed, have their toenails clipped, or let the vet take blood. If they need to have toenails done or blood taken she has to pay for the vet to put them under general anthesthia Something is wrong with this strange fat, bossy woman
Turn her in. There is no doubt in my mind that she will probably have litters of GS puppies to sell at some point in the future if the GSD is a female. Like most large dogs, they typically have many puppies. There must be a bylaw in your area regarding home businesses and the number of pets that are allowed per household. Have the SPCA visit her. She is a puppy miller. And as I mentioned before, she is probably selling these puppies as "purebred" to people who are starting their own "breeding program". I despise people like this. They are not "animal lovers", in spite of what they profess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs