Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:26 AM

48,256 posts, read 22,052,974 times

Advertisements

If I were trying to solve your problem......I think I would put Artie on a leash to take him in the back yard to do his business in the morning.....would that work? I think a dog on a leash is more receptive to commands....."no barking".

That is if he would do his business while on a leash.....(I had one dog who was too modest and wouldnt do the big one....until off leash and behind a bush or at least she was sure no one was looking. Shame must have been part of her housebreaking experience.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,103,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Sounds like success to me. I just got home from a HORRIBLE day at work only to find my father and son in an argument. Did I mention that my 89 year old father moved in with me and my teen-age son????

Aaaaaah!

Long story short, I mistakenly let Ringo out without his collar. HUGE barkfest going on right now. I mean non-stop. Soon, I'll have to get off of here and go get him.

Evenings and early mornings are the worst. I see his depression didn't last long.

I'll let you know if he is quiet when I let him out later tonight WITH the collar. He was quiet early this morning when he had his collar on.

Like Artie, I think Ringo has it figured out already. Collar on - no bark. Collar off - BARKY BARK BARK BARK!

I'm with you Dawn; I don't mind one or two barks; but he' doesn't even stop to breathe. Sigh.

This is what I would like to do right now to Ringo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Ok. Here's the verdict. The bark collar works. Ringo came in after the above post and shortly thereafter, wanted back out.

I put the bark collar on him; and there is total peaceful quiet outside.

Everyone should be happy. He's figured how to not get sprayed; our neighbors won't despise us, and can get to bed early if they desire, and Ringo can bark during the day when everyone is at work.

I think that's a fair compromise for all; and I am not going to make myself feel guilty over it.

I feel a bit relieved, actually. I've been waiting on a letter of complaint from someone.
YAY!!! How awesome is this?!?!!!!?! And I think it's totally fair to let him bark during the day -- that's what I do with Artie. We can't take away ALL their fun, right?

I'm so thrilled that it's working for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
If I were trying to solve your problem......I think I would put Artie on a leash to take him in the back yard to do his business in the morning.....would that work? I think a dog on a leash is more receptive to commands....."no barking".

That is if he would do his business while on a leash.....(I had one dog who was too modest and wouldnt do the big one....until off leash and behind a bush or at least she was sure no one was looking. Shame must have been part of her housebreaking experience.)
That would be a GREAT solution in a perfect world. However...

- When I open the back door, Artie runs out like his tail's on fire. The stairs doing down from the deck to the yard are just to the right of the door. If I were attached to Artie on a leash, I'd be dead at the bottom of the stairs. And if it's icy? I'd be even deader!

- Artie listens to me when he's on a leash? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No, he doesn't.

Elston, would you like to come over and train Artie? You're right there in Maine, right? It would be a short trip over. Of course, you'd have to stay here for about 4 years to get those commands into his thick skull when it comes to "outdoor living," but still... What a sense of accomplishment you'd feel! Deal?

Old 11-16-2010, 06:07 AM

[quote=DandJ;
Elston, would you like to come over and train Artie? You're right there in Maine, right? It would be a short trip over. Of course, you'd have to stay here for about 4 years to get those commands into his thick skull when it comes to "outdoor living," but still... What a sense of accomplishment you'd feel! Deal? [/quote]

No deal here; I am folding the deck and throwing in my hand..... you know your dog. My suggestion was only that....a suggestion....Good Luck with Artie and mornings.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
No deal here; I am folding the deck and throwing in my hand..... you know your dog. My suggestion was only that....a suggestion....Good Luck with Artie and mornings.
I know it was just a suggestion, and I appreciate it. I was just hoping that you'd want a PROJECT. Because, God knows, Artie is exactly that... a PROJECT. I love him, though. Boy, is he lucky that I love him.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:38 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,826,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
You know - it was the controlled situation. I am not lucky. I spent hours and hours over two years trying to fix this without corrections and did resort to the bark collar (and it did not shut down my dog)....

Then the right person helped me to do it using positive training..ignoring the barks alone would not work....I had to reinforce the right behavior (and will probably have to do it on an ongoing random basis). It was nothing short of miraculous.

Now, my little female may still wind up with the bark collar but if she can be fixed (and I will work on this over thanksgiving) any dog can be.
I've tried to do something that I think is similar but I always seem to run out of vacation or get undermined by nameless 3rd parties. I've had some success with what I would call "protest barking" and whining but I'm completely baffled about how to curb "alert barking" and I simply can't be at home all the time to work with the dog and supervise the other humans. The result is a dog that will not bark without good reason when I am home and will bark his fool head off when I'm not home.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Artie is very lucky to have you.......and that you love him. I hope that he settles down or that the collar works on the early morning barking.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Artie is very lucky to have you.......and that you love him. I hope that he settles down or that the collar works on the early morning barking.
Thank you! I'm lucky to have him too.

He won't settle down, I don't think. He's 7 already. And was abused as a puppy. He's high-strung. So...

Anyway, the collar seems to really do the trick, and I'm just happy about that on the odd occasion that I have to use it.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,591,508 times
All's quiet on the mid-western front!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,521,301 times
I have been following the posts about the citronella collar and I am impressed. I am seriously considering one for the Westie. When we go for our walks she is just fine unless she see another human or dog then all heck breaks loose.
She starts barking like crazy and jumping around like a crazy fool and i am thinking one of those collars just might stop some of that at least the continual barking. I have tried every other training tecnique and it works for a while but she goes right back to the scream fest.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I have been following the posts about the citronella collar and I am impressed. I am seriously considering one for the Westie. When we go for our walks she is just fine unless she see another human or dog then all heck breaks loose.
She starts barking like crazy and jumping around like a crazy fool and i am thinking one of those collars just might stop some of that at least the continual barking. I have tried every other training tecnique and it works for a while but she goes right back to the scream fest.
As far as I'm concerned, if it's working for Artie the Beast, it's a miracle and *should* work for ANY dog. (I know that's not logical, but I'm in total awe that it works on Artie-face.)

If you do get one for your Westie, make sure that she's not too close to the other human or dog -- you don't want THEM to get sprayed too for HER barking. (Although, that's a pretty funny scenario, if you think about it. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs