Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 AM

138 posts, read 269,820 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We are moving to Arizona with 3 dogs and 2 cats. My chi's will freak out on the plane (and I am sure my cats will to). They will be boarding with us just taken separate times, does anyone know what I could give them to make the 6 hour adventure more calmer for them? Wishing that they would sleep the whole time but I know that will not happen. Thank you
And anyone know the best way to get a tortoise there, they cant fly on the plane, darn rules. Again thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena and mike View Post
Hi everyone. We are moving to Arizona with 3 dogs and 2 cats. My chi's will freak out on the plane (and I am sure my cats will to). They will be boarding with us just taken separate times, does anyone know what I could give them to make the 6 hour adventure more calmer for them? Wishing that they would sleep the whole time but I know that will not happen. Thank you
And anyone know the best way to get a tortoise there, they cant fly on the plane, darn rules. Again thank you
1. If they are not crate trained, start NOW getting them accustomed to crates.

2. If they are going to be in the cabin with you ask your vet to give you a mild tranquilizer (if their anxiety levels will be high) or try giving the dogs some melatonin if their anxiety will be mild. Don't give anything to the cats without checking first with your vet but melatonin is ok for the dogs.

3. Have some crate only chews for the dogs (i.e. a kong stuffed with a bit of peanut butter and frozen the night before). This will help their anxiety levels and keep them occupied. It also helps with the pressure changes and the way that affects the ears. Check to see what might work for the cats.

They actually might surprise you and sleep the whole way especially if you can stay, calm, relaxed and confident.

As far as the tortoise goes, I'm guessing you'll have to have it shipped out so it might be better for the tortoise to find it a new home.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 AM

573 posts, read 971,249 times
Please let us know how this goes for you. I have always been curious about traveling with dogs.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:56 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times
I drove from Cali to CT with a dog and a cat, a wife, and 2 kids for 7 days. It was not fun.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
1: get a GOOD carrier, sherpa seems to be the reccomended one but i dont like the sherpa carriers, they tend to be a little floppy and "cave in"
if you can afford, pick up a couple of these Welcome To Pet Fly's - Trendy, Edgy, Airline approved pet carriers for traveling in style, comfort and safety on board a plane, train, automobile or just hanging out with you. (not the pony express, werewolf or city girl, but the others are airline aproved for most airlines), they are WONDERFULL, sturdy formed leather and they dont "collaps" in on the animal inside so they seem to feel more comfortable.
you can often pick them up on ebay too.
customer service from tammy (whos also the owner) at petflies, even if you didnt buy the carrier directly through her website shes always happy to help!

i have a medium size and would say it would fit a short 10lb dog no problem, ruby is too tall but jasper fits with room to spare.
when im not using it for its purpose i leave it out because its beautiful and leave it open, my cat and my dogs like to climb in it to sleep.

2: rescue remidy by bachs, its a herbal clamant, ive used it for my dogs and myself with a great deal of sucess

3: start taking them in short trips in thier carriers, start just taking them for a walk to the end of the drive in the carrier and back, lots of praise ect...get them used to being in there so its not a new scary thing.

good luck. most dogs adapt well, cats can sometimes be a little more...arkward...lol

Old 04-19-2011, 05:16 PM

You guys rock. I was thinking of getting some thing from the vet, I will be bringing them in and will talk to him about it. Will let you all know. I have used Resue remedy for abused birds that I took care of and it does do wonders especially when I had to bring them to the vet. I am going to check out the carriers, we do have one that is really nice but will need another. I love the idea of training them in one before we do go on the plane, such a simple thing and I never thought about it, thanks! One of my dogs is a spoiled brat (love her that way), she will be the hardest one, I can see the others sleeping but she will be so scared I think.
I have had my tortiose for 10 years, it will be hard to not have him. I will find out more about this and make a decision. I will let you all know how it works out. By the way, yes they are coming on board with us, if they could not then I would drive there.
Driving all that way must have been crazy, good job.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Make sure you check with the airlines about carrier dimensions and their tarriffs regarding the in-cabin pets. The carrier must fit under the seat (dimensions can change based on aircraft type) and most require the animal to be able to stand up and turn around in the carrier while under the seat.

You will also be restricted to keeping the animal in the carrier while in cabin and technically you can't let it out (although people have and cabin crew looked the other way) but be prepared that those around you may not like it and can complain, so be prepared that it will have to remain inside the carrier for the whole trip.

I'm sure you already checked capacity contriols for animals and have a confirm paid reservation. If not, do so right now as they can fill up quickly. rememebr, they always have the right to bump animals in cabin.

The tortoise can be shipped via United Parcel Service (UPS). The rules are very strict on packaging (inner and outer containers) and must be shipped as a next day air package. You have to tender the animal at their Customer Service Center (not a UPS store, drop box or authorize dealer) but their physical walk in shipment center. Be prepared to have a vet certificate that clearly identifes the animal since the list of restricted animals can cause them to deny a shipment if they can't identify it. It will cost $$$$ but its done hundreds of times every day by UPS. You may want to check their web site for live animal shipments to see the packaging rules.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
Quote:
Y By the way, yes they are coming on board with us, if they could not then I would drive there.
H and M, if you so wish, please take a look at my former posts, I have traveled both domestic and international with (in-cabin) pets more than once.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,992 times
Quote:
You guys rock. I was thinking of getting some thing from the vet, I will be bringing them in and will talk to him about it. Will let you all know. I have used Resue remedy for abused birds that I took care of and it does do wonders especially when I had to bring them to the vet. I am going to check out the carriers, we do have one that is really nice but will need another. I love the idea of training them in one before we do go on the plane, such a simple thing and I never thought about it, thanks! One of my dogs is a spoiled brat (love her that way), she will be the hardest one, I can see the others sleeping but she will be so scared I think.
I have had my tortiose for 10 years, it will be hard to not have him. I will find out more about this and make a decision. I will let you all know how it works out. By the way, yes they are coming on board with us, if they could not then I would drive there.
Driving all that way must have been crazy, good job.
You could use Rescue Remedy in conjunction with another med (herbal or allopathic as needed) for your "brat." For the others, RA may be enough. That stuff and the other Bach Flower products are marvelous!

I know rehoming the tortoise would be rough for you but it may be best for the tortoise. Maybe check on a few reptile forums and see what people can suggest. Maybe this one would help: tortoiseforum.org/

Old 04-20-2011, 05:06 PM

Pacificflights, yes Mike is leaving Sat with one of the kids, he called a week ahead of time to make sure they both got on. We have all the measurements and all. I think they will be okay not being taken out as long as i can get my hand in there to pet them and let them know it is okay. What do you mean bump animals in the cabin? Now i am scared, lol. Thank you for the advice. I think I am willing to pay money for shipping the tortoise, I will call them to see what I will have to pay and do. I do have friends that will give him a good home but just sad, I already gave my snake, lizards and frogs to good homes. We will see. Thank you for your help.
Miaiam, how do I find your older posts so I can check them out? I want as much info as I can get, thank you
skelaki, I think I will use the RR for the 2 calmer kids, and my spoiled kid I have to go to the vets to update her latest shots (think she is due in May) and will talk to him about it. I will look at that site. Thank you. You guys are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs