Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,604,689 times

Advertisements

I know what you mean. I don't want to shock or spray my dogs.

My neighbor's dog (who they let roam at will - indoors or out) figured out the timing on the shock collar...so it was bark bark pause...bark bark pause....because it fired on the third bark. My friend's Cairn terrier figured out the citronella collar. She'd bark bark bark and then turn her head just in time for the spray to miss her. Then bark bark bark TURN. Bark bark bark TURN.

So I know my kiddos Frick and Frack will figure it out. They're way smarter than those two other dogs and have a real, er, fondness for barking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,174,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know what you mean. I don't want to shock or spray my dogs.

My neighbor's dog (who they let roam at will - indoors or out) figured out the timing on the shock collar...so it was bark bark pause...bark bark pause....because it fired on the third bark. My friend's Cairn terrier figured out the citronella collar. She'd bark bark bark and then turn her head just in time for the spray to miss her. Then bark bark bark TURN. Bark bark bark TURN.

So I know my kiddos Frick and Frack will figure it out. They're way smarter than those two other dogs and have a real, er, fondness for barking.
I don't have as much of a problem with the spray as I do with a shock. It's really mild and it doesn't hurt Artie.

As for figuring it out, I guess my plan of only putting it on when I let him out back early in the morning is a good one. If I had it on him all the time, he'd figure it out. This way, it'll always be a surprise. SURPRISE!

Frick and Frack... I love those names.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:14 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,604,689 times
Lol...Frick and Frack aren't their real names. But they are trouble-makers (sweet ones) and I call 'em Frick and Frack, Ren and Stimpy, Dumb and Dumber, etc. Their real names are Rio (rough collie - looks like Lassie) and Shiner (smooth collie - named after my favorite beer).

Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...Frick and Frack aren't their real names. But they are trouble-makers (sweet ones) and I call 'em Frick and Frack, Ren and Stimpy, Dumb and Dumber, etc. Their real names are Rio (rough collie - looks like Lassie) and Shiner (smooth collie - named after my favorite beer).
I figured those weren't their real names -- wishful thinking, though, on my part. My father used to call me and my cousin Frick and Frack, so seeing that brought back some sweet memories.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:32 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,636,201 times
Hey Dawn,

Is the citronella collar still working? I went to Pet Supplies Plus last night and they had only the lemon-scent mist collar. It supposedly sprays a fine mist of lemon scent that the dogs dislike. Personally, I think it smells darn good.

I got one for Ringo to control his (same as you) early morning and later-of-an evening barkfest. He loves to be outside; but we can't let him stay out there and bark all evening.

I have to say; I can't tell if this one works or not. I put it on him this morning and he still engaged in some fence fighting with the neighbor dogs. If the collar sprayed him; I sure couldn't tell. There was no look of surprise; no sudden stop in barking. He was quiet for a while - then barked at some squirrels. Then quiet the rest of the am so we let him stay outside.

Hmmm. Maybe it is working. Jury's still out on this one.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Hey Dawn,

Is the citronella collar still working? I went to Pet Supplies Plus last night and they had only the lemon-scent mist collar. It supposedly sprays a fine mist of lemon scent that the dogs dislike. Personally, I think it smells darn good.

I got one for Ringo to control his (same as you) early morning and later-of-an evening barkfest. He loves to be outside; but we can't let him stay out there and bark all evening.

I have to say; I can't tell if this one works or not. I put it on him this morning and he still engaged in some fence fighting with the neighbor dogs. If the collar sprayed him; I sure couldn't tell. There was no look of surprise; no sudden stop in barking. He was quiet for a while - then barked at some squirrels. Then quiet the rest of the am so we let him stay outside.

Hmmm. Maybe it is working. Jury's still out on this one.
It is still working for Artie, and nobody's more shocked than I am! I can't say that I use it frequently -- just on an as-needed basis -- but it certainly works. In fact, and I don't know if this was just a fluke, but the other day, I let Artie out at about 7.30am, knowing that he'd bark. But I think that just putting on the collar did the trick -- he didn't bark once! But that may just have been a fluke.

The citronella is exactly that -- a lemon-scented mist (I like the smell, too!) ["citron" is "lemon" in French, by the way] -- but unless Ringo was VERY far away (and I mean VERY!), you should have been able to see the mist. When Artie's in the furthest part of the yard, I can still see it. If it was working, I'd be surprised that Ringo didn't find it offensive -- at least the FIRST time it sprayed.

Some dogs will bark no matter what, I've been told, but not to be alarmed at the first spray really surprises me. And the fact that you didn't actually SEE the mist.

This is the one that I got, which works like a charm... for Artie:

Amazon.com: Premier SpraySense Anti-Bark Dog Collar: Kitchen & Dining

You might want to return the one that you bought -- it doesn't sound like it's functioning. Maybe the battery's no longer working??? Or maybe it's not fully switched to the "on" position?

Last edited by DawnMTL; 11-14-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,636,201 times
Well, I decided maybe it didn't come pre-filled with the spray so I added some. I'll try it again later. The battery appears to be working; the lights come on when I turn it on.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, I decided maybe it didn't come pre-filled with the spray so I added some. I'll try it again later. The battery appears to be working; the lights come on when I turn it on.
Oh! Yours has a light indicating the battery is working. Lucky!

I asked my husband to check if the battery was working, after I'd left the thing on for days and days. Imagine a grown man barking into this thing and the look of shock when he got sprayed! Just kidding -- he has a battery tester thingy.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:46 PM

3,755 posts, read 12,447,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I asked my husband to check if the battery was working, after I'd left the thing on for days and days. Imagine a grown man barking into this thing and the look of shock when he got sprayed!
LOL - that reminds me of something that happened here a couple of years ago. I was looking over our training gear and as a joke asked DH to hold the probes on the electronic correction collar so I could see if it was still working. Without batting an eye he actually did it!

Bless his naive trusting soul!

...and no - I didn't actually zap him!

Old 11-14-2010, 02:24 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,526,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh! Yours has a light indicating the battery is working. Lucky!

I asked my husband to check if the battery was working, after I'd left the thing on for days and days. Imagine a grown man barking into this thing and the look of shock when he got sprayed! Just kidding -- he has a battery tester thingy.
LOL I can just picture that, it would have been worthy of UTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs