Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 PM

142 posts, read 571,159 times

Advertisements

I noticed earlier today Roxy was not wagging her tail and it seems to be limp. From what I have read (so far) it can be anything from anal glands to a spinal injury. She is acting completely normal besides the no wagging. And she is showing no signs of pain, I checked her all over. I am hoping she just bruised it and if she has not improved by tomorrow I will take her to the vet. Any thoughts or experience with a tail injury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:57 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley620 View Post
I noticed earlier today Roxy was not wagging her tail and it seems to be limp. From what I have read (so far) it can be anything from anal glands to a spinal injury. She is acting completely normal besides the no wagging. And she is showing no signs of pain, I checked her all over. I am hoping she just bruised it and if she has not improved by tomorrow I will take her to the vet. Any thoughts or experience with a tail injury?
I don't have any experience but if the same symptoms you are seeing are not better tomorrow, I'd definately get to the vets to see what is going on. There are so many things that it could be (like you have already said) some more serious than others.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Possibly cold water tail? from wiki:
Limber tail syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Just wondering....hows Roxie this morning? Any improvement? Let us know.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:10 AM

142 posts, read 571,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Just wondering....hows Roxie this morning? Any improvement? Let us know.
She is actually doing much better. Thanks for asking. I gave her some asprin and she is currently outside happily chasing birds with her tail wagging. Most of the time her tail is still down but she is feeling better.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 14,103 times
Sounds like cold tail. Not much you can do other than aspirin. She should be better in a couple of days.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
What kind of dog is Roxy?

Since it cleared up quickly and doesn't seem to have any other lingering issues almost certainly confirms it as Limber Tail (aka cold tail, dead tail, rudder tail, etc.). It is fairly common in sporting breeds and water dogs.

My dog had a spot of this earlier in the year. No recurrence yet, but dogs that get it once are likely to get it again.

The dog presents with a tail that is carried limp, sometimes the butt is tucked slightly. Usually very sensitive to manipulation of the tail or pelvic musculature. The owner will often come to the vet concerned that the dog has somehow broken the tail and the marker is that the owner can not remember any event that should have resulted in injury.

Most vets have never seen this or heard of it unless they have a lot of working waterdogs in their practice. The treatment is usually something for pain if the dog is particularly uncomfortable along with an anti-inflammatory (although the general wisdom seems to be that the dogs recover in about three days with or without treatment). If you got through this without spending $200 for the emergency vet, my hat is off to you because you did better than I...

Here is a brief from an article by a vet familiar with the syndrome...

WHAT ARE LIMBER TAIL (COLD WATER TAIL, FROZEN TAIL, RUDDER TAIL) SYNDROME, INFRASPINATUS CONTRACTURE, AND GRACILIS MUSCLE CONTRACTURE AND MASTICATORY MUSCLE MYOSITIS

T. Mark Neer DVM, Dipl. ACVIM

1. Limber Tail Syndrome

A. History/Signalment

Breeds Commonly Affected: Labrador Retrievers, English Pointers, Foxhounds, English Setters, Beagles, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Flat-coated Retriever.
Therefore, usually seen in sporting breeds or athletic breeds, and many times those that are in the water a lot.

Age: Any age with a range of 6 months to 9 years; the most frequent age in Pointers is 2 years.

History: The typical history would go as follows: The dog is perfectly normal and then is taken out to the field or on a duck hunt and is worked very hard. Many times cold, wet weather or cage transport is also in the history. The day following the hard work-out the dog presents with a tail which hangs down from the tail base, or is held horizontally for 3 to 4 inches and then drops down. Owner believes the tail is broken because the tail is usually painful at the base and a normally stoic dog is now very uncomfortable. In Labrador retrievers, cases of limber tail are frequently associated with heavy hunting, as well as swimming or bathing with water that is too cold or too warm.

Other Potential Contributing Factors
1. Tail conformation - high tailed, active tail 2. More frequent in males (sex pre-disposition?) 3. Inadequate nutrition 4. Underconditioning 5. Overtraining 6. Length of exercise? - some dogs have exercised for as short as 30 minutes, or as long as 6 hours.

Physical Examination Findings
1. Tail is held limb and flaccid, dog will not wag tail.
2. Tail is tucked under pelvis.
3. Dorsal and ventral tail muscles at tail base are very painful. A stoic dog may attempt to bite when muscles are palpated.
4. If tail is extended toward sacrum this elicits a painful reaction.
5. Temperature normal

Diagnostics
1. On day 1 or 2 of the problem the creatine kinase (CPK) may be elevated then its level declines.
2. If radiographs of tail are taken, they will be normal.

Cause/Treatment/Prognosis
1. Cause unknown: Most likely a myositis or myopathy of tail muscles secondary to excess activity when muscles are poorly conditioned. Similar to "delayed onset muscle soreness" in humans.
2. Treatment: Since all dogs will spontaneously recover in 10-14 days no treatment is really needed (Just Rest). Although, some owners believe that recovery time is shortened if anti-inflammatory drugs are begun as soon as condition is noted. Nonetheless, dogs are much improved in 3-4 days, with better tail movement and less pain regardless of treatment, and then complete recovery is seen in 2 weeks.
3. Prognosis: Excellent, all dogs recover. It may recur in about _ of the dogs later in training.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 13,239 times
Default Aspirin for dogs

Quote:
She is actually doing much better. Thanks for asking. I gave her some asprin and she is currently outside happily chasing birds with her tail wagging. Most of the time her tail is still down but she is feeling better.
Asprin is not healthy for dogs and can cause liver problems.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
aspirin is ok ... in moderation..... and buffered is better, if possible...... it is tylenol (acetominiphan), ibuprofen and naproxen that MUST be avoided.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs