Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times

Advertisements

My dog (Bichon) is quiet and rarely barks. His existence aside from laying his head on your lap is signified by him following you if you have food in hand.

He wags his tail infrequently - except when getting treats. When we walk his tail is up but does not wag.

When I watch dogs on TV - whether they are eating or being threatened by other dogs, their tail is always wagging.

I thought tail wagging is a sign of happiness and at my dog's rate it would be melancholic.

Does your dog wag his / her tail a lot? When?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:22 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,471 times
my dog wags his whole body when we enter the house and have been gone for a while.
He wags it when we walk by to say "hi family", he wags it at my nephew when he approaches him. The speed of the wag signifies their mood.
When codys whole body wags I know he is extremely happy. ...a calm wag when I walk by is a hi momma wag. He does nto wag when he is upset but I've heard of dogs that do

hope that helps!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
I'm not sure if it is breed specific or just an individual personality trait. My dachshund is a major tail wagger. Even if he is awakened from a sound sleep by one of his people and hasn't opened his eyes all the way, he'll give a wag or two.

When his breeder was showing him she said people laughed because he wagged his tail all the time in the ring. He just always seems pretty darn happy!

All that said, I wouldn't fret over it too much. I guess some dogs are just a bit more reserved than others. Nothing at all wrong with that!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,371 times
Teddie wags his tail quite a bit, but does it most when he knows he's done something wrong. He wags his tail and looks up at me to see if I will give in..it usually works.

Mahalo wags her tail some. She does it the most when you talk to her or have a treat etc.

Buster wags his tail most of the day. He's a happy, jolly boy; what can I say?

Duncan...he doesn't really wag his tail unless you talk directly to him, you have a treat, or you call him to come in the house. He loves to be outside and will come in only to run back to the door to go out. But he'll wag his tail then.

Neville was his tail more than I have ever seen a dog wag his tail and it's SOOO fast! He wags it when he eats, walks, runs, plays, bounces, goes for a walk, sits on your lap..all the time! lol

Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 PM

288 posts, read 917,763 times
Cookie, a Maltese, wags her entire body. She's four years old and has done so since I got her at four months. She also curves her body into a comma when body/tail wagging, which results in her smacking herself in the face, usually the eyes, with her tail, over and over again. She used to get eye infections from this but has learned to blink just before smacking herself. So, picture an overly poofy little white dog's tail wagging her body so hard that she must blink with each wag. Looks hilarious, but cute.

Noodle, a Maltese mix, almost 11 years old, does not wag his tail very often. When I got him, the tip of his tail had been broken and never fixed, so it fused oddly. I don't know if this is why he doesn't wag his tail much...perhaps it hurts? He's developed arthritis in his knees, so I assume it's possible to get it in his tail. He used to wag his tail like mad. He still wags when he gets excited, but it's just a few quicks wags and then the tail stops moving though the rest of him continues to show excitement. This includes when treats are present...the tail doesn't continue.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
The dogs on TV, no matter what they are doing, are waggin their tails because they are in the middle of working with their handler and enjoying what they are doing.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
My friend's dogs wag their tales while they bark at me as I drive up to their house. Of course, once out of the car they are just friendly and greeting. They know it is part of their job description to bark at anyone who steps on the property, i guess.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
My dogs wag their tails frequently - when playing, when waiting for me to come to them, when going out the door. I've never had a dog who didn't wag its tail but I've never had a small dog like a Bichon.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:02 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,053 times
All mine wag, but Faith my Jack Russell Cross whom I had before the others, wags hers constantly ever since she was a puppy it's non stop vigorous wagging, especially when she's happy - which is all the time. She's the one that had some spinal damage in Febuary and was advised to put her too sleep. That was the only time she didn't wag and after her operation they kept her for almost 3 weeks but I knew she was going to be ok when the wag came back and I'm reasured every day by the crazy wagging that whe will be just fine .

Because I can't talk to my dogs and they can't tell me what's wrong or how their day is going a waggy tail is a good indication that all is groovy with them.

Maybe your Bichon isn't as demonstrative as others, I wouldn't look at it as a negative. I know a few dogs who are happy with their own company and aren't affected by dogs around them. You ever met people who are of little words and don't say much?

Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
"my Jack Russell Cross whom I had before the others, wags [his] constantly ever since [he] was a puppy it's non stop vigorous wagging, especially when [he's] happy - which is all the time.."

Ditto! Nothing makes my dog unhappy...it's almost as though he's challenging me to try, go ahead and try, to ruin his mood. It's not possible!

(Raggy, I am glad your Faith is doing so well now ~ ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs