Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:48 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times

Advertisements

If you feed Orijen, you may be aware of the price increase coming. They changed their formula, so now instead of having 70% meat, it will be 80%. The new bags are in stores in my area already, but retailers here won't increase prices until Jan 1st. The wholesale cost went up, so they have no choice but to pass that on to consumers. We currently pay $79.99 for a 29.7 bag, and that will cost $88 come January. I'm willing to bet a lot of people will switch foods, which would suck for us because we'd have to order online.

TOTW is having a price increase as well (not sure why, they're not improving anything), but it's a cheap food to begin with so the cost won't be anywhere near Orijen. I know Acana will not be affected and the formulas will remain the same.

This is from some random retailer in Michigan. It's so funny to see that Orijen's new suggested retail price for their area is $78.99...we're not paying that now, before the increase here in San Diego!

Changes to Orijen and We're Lowering Prices! > Joeys Pet Outfitters > News | Joey's Pet Outfitters | Williamston, MI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 02:23 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
80$ for a 30lb bag?!?!

I thought 50$ for 30lb of BB Wilderness was crazy.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:29 PM

29.7 lbs, not 30! And it will be closer to $90 once the increase is in effect. However, you feed a lot less than you would with other foods because it's grainless with no fillers. With BB Wilderness, my 50 lb. Bulldog would eat almost 3 cups a day. He gets 1.5 cups of Orijen per day now, since he gained weight when he ate 2 cups a day. So it comes out to the same price, since the bag of BB would be gone twice as fast as Orijen.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
I just found out about it from our store. It won't make me change to a different food though. We can adjust our budget to make up for the increase. I am wondering if the dogs and cats will react differently to the formula increase though. Good thing they change it in the winter...if the dogs have soft poop, it can freeze a bit with the cold.

I would imagine most dog foods will increase in price. The costs of transporting it has gotten higher since fuel is getting closer to the $3 per gallon mark in even the cheapest places.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I just found out about it from our store. It won't make me change to a different food though. We can adjust our budget to make up for the increase. I am wondering if the dogs and cats will react differently to the formula increase though. Good thing they change it in the winter...if the dogs have soft poop, it can freeze a bit with the cold.

We won't be switching, either. I'm just worried that many others will, making it cost ineffective for local retailers to carry it, thus causing us to have to order online and pay shipping charges.

I purchased a bag last week and my store had both the old and new formula in stock. I bought the new one and haven't noticed any changes in poop and it's been 4 days since he's been on it. The ingredients are identical, it's the protein level that's higher now.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
If Artie will eat it, I'll buy it. So far, so good. He's eating it, so I'm buying it.

FYI -- I buy it online because they don't have it at my local store. With the 15% discount that they offer, and even with the cost of shipping, I paid $65.70. Yup, that one took a fair bit of research on my part. Good thing, though, that the place is in NY or PA (I don't remember which, but either way it's pretty close) so the shipping cost isn't TOO terrible.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I bought the new one and haven't noticed any changes in poop and it's been 4 days since he's been on it. The ingredients are identical, it's the protein level that's higher now.
I read that if your dog is already eating Orijen, that the extra 10% of meat won't likely affect their poop. Fingers crossed for Artie on that.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:52 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
29.7 lbs, not 30! And it will be closer to $90 once the increase is in effect. However, you feed a lot less than you would with other foods because it's grainless with no fillers. With BB Wilderness, my 50 lb. Bulldog would eat almost 3 cups a day. He gets 1.5 cups of Orijen per day now, since he gained weight when he ate 2 cups a day. So it comes out to the same price, since the bag of BB would be gone twice as fast as Orijen.
BBW is also advertised as 100% grain free.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
Quote:
We won't be switching, either. I'm just worried that many others will, making it cost ineffective for local retailers to carry it, thus causing us to have to order online and pay shipping charges.

I purchased a bag last week and my store had both the old and new formula in stock. I bought the new one and haven't noticed any changes in poop and it's been 4 days since he's been on it. The ingredients are identical, it's the protein level that's higher now.
I think it is unlikely that anyone will switch. If anything, they may go to the ACANA, or buy smaller bags of the Orijen but I have been really surprised even with the recession going on how quickly that food goes off the shelves. We usually have to call before we go just to make sure they will have some of the Orijen. When I have had to buy it online, I only paid $14.00 in Expedited Shipping through FedEx which wasn't bad. I could have saved more if I got it delivered to work as it is cheaper to deliver to business addresses.

The protein levels can make a huge difference - but hopefully this slight change won't affect our dogs.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
When I have had to buy it online, I only paid $14.00 in Expedited Shipping through FedEx which wasn't bad. I could have saved more if I got it delivered to work as it is cheaper to deliver to business addresses.
Who "decides" that it's a cheaper rate to deliver to a business address -- the company that you buy from or FedEx?

I'm asking because I have a business, but I work out of my house. If I change the recipient name to my Corp. name, but to the same address (home), would it be cheaper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs