Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,749 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any experiences with Orijen dog food? Is it worth the cost which can be quite pricey.

Orijen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 PM

86 posts, read 155,460 times
Orijen is a very high quality food!! I have offered it to my fur crew, but they didn't want it....they actually turned their noses up and backed away. Thank goodness it was only the sample size(s) because, yes, it is an expensive food! My dogs eat a food made by the same company as Orijen and are thriving!!! It is called, ACANA, and is made in Canada....it's also less expensive than Orijen.

Also, my guys eat so much less of the ACANA before becoming full. They were going through a ton of a cheaper food!! So cost-wise, it might even out...not to mention, they are much healthier!

Good luck with your choice.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenFam View Post
Orijen is a very high quality food!! I have offered it to my fur crew, but they didn't want it....they actually turned their noses up and backed away. Thank goodness it was only the sample size(s) because, yes, it is an expensive food! My dogs eat a food made by the same company as Orijen and are thriving!!! It is called, ACANA, and is made in Canada....it's also less expensive than Orijen.

Also, my guys eat so much less of the ACANA before becoming full. They were going through a ton of a cheaper food!! So cost-wise, it might even out...not to mention, they are much healthier!

Thanks for the feedback. Usually as you know, those cheaper brands contain a great deal of fillers and other useless junk. It's quite surprising to some that I kept a 73 lb male Golden Retriever at that weight on just 2 cups a day of Canidae which is also decent but not probably top shelf like Orijen. The excess fillers in the cheaper brands also have the dog producing more feces to clean up in my opinion. They can eat less on a high quality brand of food.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenFam View Post

I also feed the Acana, what's really nice is Orijen/Acana has a buy 12 bags get 1 free. The place I buy it actually keeps track of the reciepts for me so I don't have to worry about losing them. My dogs are doing really well on it.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I bought Artie (aka Mr. Finicky) a bag when the formula was 70/30. HE LOVED IT!!! I couldn't believe it! I thought that I'd found a winner. By the time we were ready to buy the next bag, they'd switched the formula to 80/20. It was far too rich, in terms of protein, for him. A lot of loose stool and diarrhea ensued. I contacted Orijen and they told me that was common with the formula change, and that it should only last a few days. Another week, and his stools were still loose... and included BLOOD. I just had to stop feeding it. The Orijen folks were nice -- they sent me a refund.

On their website, order some of the samples, or just get a small bag to start. Have your dog(s) try the samples first to see if it's just too rich for them, as it was for Artie.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Dazzle was eating Orijen and doing well on it then one day he just stopped eating it and refused to eat it even if it meant not eating for several days. Because he is a thin sighthound I could not let him go too long without eating as I have trouble keeping any weight on him so I menationed this to the guy that runs the pet store I shop at and he said to try Nutrisca ( by Dogswell) it too is grain and potato free and as of now both dogs love it. It is a little cheaper then then Orijen.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,084 times
My dogs are nine, eight, six and three...and I have an 8 1/2 year old foster. I've been feeding Orijen for at least five years (all flavors & formulas) and all have done great on it. This last year I've slowly switched to Acana...the Grasslands and Pacifica formulas and all are thriving.

I used to feed Canidae, also a great food, but a change in formulation caused digestion problems for two...so I made the switch.

There are lots of great, high quality dog food brands out there and here's a good place to start reading about them.
Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

On another note...25/30 years ago, we fed our pets Purina ONE and all lived long healthy lives and died of natural causes. The same can be said of dogs who eat brands like Beneful, Pro Plan Plus, and other mid price foods and they, too, thrive and are healthy. Just because a dog food is expensive doesn't mean they will do well on it.

Meaning...feed your dog the food he/she does well on. I don't mean the cheapest...but there are alternative brands. On the above link, there are many quality "three star" foods available almost anywhere.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
My vet goes by this ; anything you can buy in the grocery store is garbage food and dont feed it . My dogs dont eat dog food we never found one that they could eat without digestive problems so I cook for them . Boiled chicken and brown rice and every once and a while a couple of veggies thrown in . Guess what ? they are some of the healthiest dogs my vet has seen and they are hardly ever sick now . When we were trying the dog foods they were sick all the time with bowel and digestive problems and there is always a dog food recall with something any brand . So now Im glad I dont give my dogs dog food . I know orijen my dogs could not eat that either without digestive problems as well . rather costly too .

Old 06-05-2017, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,509 times
Feeding my senior dog (15+ years) Orijen senior dog food but he is having constant diarrhea for past few days. Don't know what to do and tried to slowly transition from his old food. Not sure if it's the high protein content?

Old 06-05-2017, 07:53 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmerMary View Post
Feeding my senior dog (15+ years) Orijen senior dog food but he is having constant diarrhea for past few days. Don't know what to do and tried to slowly transition from his old food. Not sure if it's the high protein content?
It could be the protein or something else. Take him off the kibble and feed him a bland diet of boiled rice and some chicken, be sure he stays hydrated, chicken broth is helpful. A tablespoon of canned pumpkin (real, not pie mix) can help solidify his stool also. My old dog was on Six Fishes and did great on it but we did a very slow transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs