Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 03:54 PM

560 posts, read 453,180 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My dog has never had the Bordetella vaccine. He was rescued from a puppy mill 5 years ago, and I've had him since then. He is 8 from what the puppy mills document said. He got kennel cough when I first got him, due to going to a kennel with his foster mom so we could see him and he use to go to work with her. However, he does go to the groomers now (one every 3 months) and soon I will be moving and want to take him to dog parks. Our vet does not push this vaccine on us, he asked when we first got him after he got over kennel cough, but I never kennel him so he said "no need".

Is it worth getting the Bordetella vaccine?

Thanks!

Last edited by ohyellowbug; 04-15-2017 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 04:14 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
It is required for our two dogs to go to the groomers and Camp Bow Wow when we go out of town.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
It is required for our two dogs to go to the groomers and Camp Bow Wow when we go out of town.
Our groomer does not require it. She is aware my dog does not have it. My little guy never goes anywhere for dog camps, or boarding. He is always just home with someone.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:34 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
No. The vaccine only covers . . . 8 strains. . . . I think it is. It doesn't completely cover everything I guess like our flu shots only cover certain strains. It helps but it's not foolproof. But you have to have it when you board your dog and if you are around multiple dogs that aren't yours.

If you are boarding your dog you have to get it 2 weeks before it takes effect. Even so your dog may come out from their stay with a deep cough. Fleas. Hoarse throat. Yeah. My dog did all that.

The nice thing is the vet can give the Bordetella nose drops without a full exam. At least mine does. Just ask and they come out into the wait room and the dog sniffs those nose drops and done.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
No. The vaccine only covers . . . 8 strains. . . . I think it is. It doesn't completely cover everything I guess like our flu shots only cover certain strains. It helps but it's not foolproof. But you have to have it when you board your dog and if you are around multiple dogs that aren't yours.

If you are boarding your dog you have to get it 2 weeks before it takes effect. Even so your dog may come out from their stay with a deep cough. Fleas. Hoarse throat. Yeah. My dog did all that.

The nice thing is the vet can give the Bordetella nose drops without a full exam. At least mine does. Just ask and they come out into the wait room and the dog sniffs those nose drops and done.
Thanks. Sorry your doggie still got sick Do you think it's worth getting or asking my vet about if moving to an apartment? I want to talk him to apartment dog park, is that a place where the vaccine could be useful?

I don't want to give him a vaccine he doesn't need.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:16 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
Here is just one article to help you to decide. Of course feel free to look up further information.
Companies that insist you vaccinate are covering themselves. IMO

One of my dogs was picked up a long time ago by animal control and ended up there overnight, he came home with it, and all 3 of my dogs got it. It sounds horrible, and seemed to last forever, but they felt fine. They had all been vaccinated of course after that I quit vaccinating for it, ever.

[Updated] Three Critical Problems With The Kennel Cough Vaccine (and what you need to do about them) - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Old 04-16-2017, 09:32 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
And yet, some dogs die from kennel cough.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:44 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
If your dog is healthy, kennel cough is unlikely to cause any major problems, though it can be a major annoyance. My father's hunting dogs got a kind that had them hacking up fluids - they'd been vaccinated for it, but this was 30 years ago. It was gross, and I can't imagine if that had been inside our house rather than the kennel.

I vaccinate my dogs for it because they go to competitions and I want the option of boarding them. Despite this, we had bordatella sweep through our flyball club a while back - the strain wasn't covered by the vaccine. It was just a dry cough though that lasted a couple weeks.

It's up to you. Personally, if I wasn't doing so many events with my dogs and your dog would not be interacting with any immuno-suppressed or elderly dogs (or puppies for that matter), I'd skip the vaccine.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I had conversation with the people who groom our min-schnauzer---
She has had Bordatella vaccinations timely for past several years because she was going to the vet a lot because of allergy/skin reaction and gets groomed every 4-6 weeks...
But because we are away from her regular vet she missed her 6 mo revaccination

The groomers said that the vaccine really takes a week to 10 days to be effective--
Not the 48 hrs that some kennels require prior to boarding
And it takes about the same time for the episode of kennel cough to wear off...
So they were kind of like either you do it religiously or don't worry about it
Personally I think this ought to be something sold OTC and allow pet owners to give the nasal version w/o a vet visit...
It seems like it is a recognized treatment and has really no side effects--
Having to have a vet visit just adds costs w/o appreciable benefit IMO...

For a healthy dog kennel cough is likely more an annoyance than a real threat so it depends on your dog...
And some people really think any vaccination is too much

Old 04-16-2017, 03:45 PM

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I might hold off until it gets closer to our move. I just want to make sure I give him the best protections I can. It was awful when we first got him and he was sick. I just didn't want to risk moving him to apartments and using a day park and him coming down with something.

It does seem like this vaccine is similar to our flu shot as someone else suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs