Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 03:58 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,850,221 times

Advertisements

here its not required. Recommended but only rabies in required. If you board them, they " need" all vaccines but otherwise, no one cares. No one stands at the dog park and has a check list....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 10:47 PM

9 posts, read 8,476 times
As another poster stated, if your dog is healthy, it's pretty easy to treat kennel cough, but some places require it. Dogs can pick it up anywhere (vet, groomer, daycare, walks, etc...)

What concerned me was the above poster who said their dog is always home!?! How sad and isolating. Dogs Need social interactions in public (unless there are extenuating circumstancess). Dogs, smells, people, etc... imagine if you were only allowed to stay home and never talk to anyone that spoke your language? It would be quite lonely. (I understand some rescues are dog aggressive, but they can also be helped with the help of a Behaviorist to overcome that).

Socialize, socialize, socialize. If you have a new puppy, they should meet 100 new puppies & dogs by 3-4 months of age in order to be a well rounded bhealthy adult dog. See attached Vet Statement.
https://avsab.org/wp-content/uploads..._-_10-3-14.pdf

Old 04-17-2017, 05:09 AM

560 posts, read 453,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mustluvdogs View Post
As another poster stated, if your dog is healthy, it's pretty easy to treat kennel cough, but some places require it. Dogs can pick it up anywhere (vet, groomer, daycare, walks, etc...)

What concerned me was the above poster who said their dog is always home!?! How sad and isolating. Dogs Need social interactions in public (unless there are extenuating circumstancess). Dogs, smells, people, etc... imagine if you were only allowed to stay home and never talk to anyone that spoke your language? It would be quite lonely. (I understand some rescues are dog aggressive, but they can also be helped with the help of a Behaviorist to overcome that).

Socialize, socialize, socialize. If you have a new puppy, they should meet 100 new puppies & dogs by 3-4 months of age in order to be a well rounded bhealthy adult dog. See attached Vet Statement.
https://avsab.org/wp-content/uploads..._-_10-3-14.pdf
I meant my dog is always home in the sense that if someone goes away on vacation like myself I do not take him to the kennel to be boarded. He stays home with someone in my family. If my family goes on vacation then I stay home with him. That is why he has never had the vaccine. I've made the choice not to kennel him.

My dog is 8 and no longer a puppy. He does not get along with other dogs. He growls and gets really mean. I didn't get him until he was 4 and he was from a puppy mill. The few dogs I have tried to let him meet it does not go well. He has almost been attacked a few times by dogs off leases so that ruined almost any hope of him getting along with other dogs when we first got him. We do not have another dog in the family because my dog likes to be the only dog.

He goes on walks, he goes to the groomers. He is not locked away in the house alone all day. He has his buddy our family cat too when he is home.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:18 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
None of mine have ever had the bordatella vaccine and none have ever had KC..... As one poster above said, it only covers a few of the many strains out there..... and in healthy dogs, KC is really not much more than a cold in humans.....

I also stop all vaccines except rabies once they reach about 5 or 6 years old..... I talked this over with our vet and she was fine with it..... four or five years of boosters confers enough immunity to last them the rest of their lives......

Old 04-17-2017, 06:48 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
My dog gets it once a year, but not every 6 months. Our vet would require it before they would board our dog. I asked if there was any waiting time, in case we had to board him for an emergency, and they said no.
Since he does not have contact with other dogs, I don't feel bad about skipping it.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:22 AM

34,100 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mustluvdogs View Post
What concerned me was the above poster who said their dog is always home!?!
How sad and isolating. Dogs Need social interactions in public ...
This is the reason I'll keep up with the bordatella.
Cheech is at the dog park every day -sometimes twice- playing with all sorts of dogs
as well as getting walked on an ever broadening radius from home.

Most dogs we meet are from homes like ours where care is taken in these things
but a fair few of the owners don't seem to have the first clue. CYA

Old 04-17-2017, 07:29 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,850,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Who sits around talking about these things though?

Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 AM

34,100 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Who sits around talking about these things though?
I have no idea. Does that matter somehow?

Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
None of mine have ever had the bordatella vaccine and none have ever had KC..... As one poster above said, it only covers a few of the many strains out there..... and in healthy dogs, KC is really not much more than a cold in humans.....

I also stop all vaccines except rabies once they reach about 5 or 6 years old..... I talked this over with our vet and she was fine with it..... four or five years of boosters confers enough immunity to last them the rest of their lives......
Thank you! Yeah, when my dog got KC when we first got him it wasn't awful. He just was like a human with a cold, but I felt so bad for him. However, he won't ever be at a kennel to be boarded so we never thought of getting it and our groomer doesn't need it. That's the only time he is in a space that is shared by more than 1 dog and so far has not come in contact with KC (knock on wood)

Old 04-17-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This is the reason I'll keep up with the bordatella.
Cheech is at the dog park every day -sometimes twice- playing with all sorts of dogs
as well as getting walked on an ever broadening radius from home.

My dog has never been to a dog park, but when I move I will want to take advantage of using them. He gets nice walks now around our neighborhood and on trails. I know most apartments I looked at have dog parks on there premises.

Are dogs parks a big place to pick up KC? I knew about kennels and possible at the groomers. He has a vet appt coming up in June. I may inquire more with my vet about if he thinks it's worth it now.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs