Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,317,857 times

Advertisements

First it was vomiting last week, so much that I had to take him to the vet because I was positive he caught a bug. Turned out to be just stress from the move! He did have an ear infection (as I suspected) so he's being treated for it right now.

Today, I noticed that his face was looking a bit swollen and his eye wasn't as open as it should be. At first, my husband thought I was crazy but not long after, he panicked when he found hives all over PC's body and he was having trouble breathing. We rushed him to the e-vet and it turns out he was stung by something, most likely a bee.

The area around his penis was extremely red and swollen. The vet thinks he got stung there when he peed on top of a bush before. My poor baby, can't catch a break! Here are some pictures of what he looked like, he's doing much better now and is finally snoring peacefully.

And this is reason #43048030983 people shouldn't leave dogs in yards unattended. Imagine if we left him there alone all day, I ca't imagine what we'd come home to! All this happened within an hour, one minute he's fine the next gasping for air.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/njrunr3/DSC_3749.jpg (broken link)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/njrunr3/DSC_3752-1.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,911,186 times
oh my goodness poor PC, and what an unfortunate area to be stung too.

given hes now had a reaction make sure to get the benadryl dosages from your vet and have it on hand at all times for emergencies (its saved lives) especially in squishy faced dogs who dont have much space to swell as it is.

im glad hes feeling better. a cool cloth will help with any red/swelling thats persistent, add a little witchazel too

big hugs for the squishy man!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 PM

Yea, we have Benadryl here at all times, but it didn't seem to help much. We gave him some just before heading to the vet. It seems that whatever they gave him worked much faster. The redness is finally gone now. This was his first bee encounter (shockingly, since we spend a lot of time outdoors) and he doesn't seem to react well.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM

18,747 posts, read 33,496,537 times
Poor guy. I forget what the shot is, but it's not oral Benadryl and works a lot faster. (One of my boys was stung by a spider and his eye was closing as I watched.)

Old 01-16-2011, 11:33 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,154,584 times
Aww no! Thanks for the update on PC. I never knew the symptoms of a dog getting stung by a bee.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,958,092 times
Poor baby! I've had a dog get stung before, but on his lip when catching a bee. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:22 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,030,718 times
Poor PC living the life of drama. Hiding his face and the "figleaf" over his privates in the photos was a nice touch to allow him to keep his dignity, well what he has left.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,619,830 times
Poor PC! Be stings can be bad and in such a bad spot for one too!

years ago Dash either got stung by a bee or a spider and as I was getting ready to leave for work he walked in and his head was 3 X its normal size and eyes were swollen shut. I called work and said I will be late as I have to go to the E-vet which was near the hospital. I think they gave him some epi and benadryl and told me what dose of Benadryl to give in a few hours then the vet says and keep an eye on him tonight as he could have rebound swelling and might need to come back!. I had to work so he came with me and spent the night in the hospital basement in my department around 3AM I was checking on him and his face was huge again and eyes swollen shut so I told my coworkers I was leaving and as we left we did stop in the ER as a nurse on that night was having an allergic reaction that night and her face was swollen too. The very sweet ER doctor on that night came over and sat on the floor and petted Dash and said " Oh buddy if I knew the correct doses I would give you some steroids"

We spent the rest of my shift at the E-vets and after that I never felt comfortable when there were bees or spiders around Dash...as a young dog he was a " bug dog" and spent hours chasing bugs!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:37 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,911,186 times
it is usual epi they give in reactions like this, usually followed up by benadryl. it might be worth seeing if the vet would be willing to give you a script for epi-pens as a just in case. i always worry with bulldogs, they can have such a hard time breathing on a good day.

im glad his swelling/redness has gone down

Old 01-17-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
it is usual epi they give in reactions like this, usually followed up by benadryl. it might be worth seeing if the vet would be willing to give you a script for epi-pens as a just in case. i always worry with bulldogs, they can have such a hard time breathing on a good day.

im glad his swelling/redness has gone down
The vet said there are two types or reactions...allergic (what he had) and anaphylactic (what he didn't have). She said that epi pens are only used in the 2nd instance and not what he needed. I know he got a steroid and a shot of Benadryl, but not sure which steroid specifically.

He slept very soundly all night and is happy this morning, so hopefully he's ok! I can't believe how common bug bites are..spiders, scorpions, bees...and to think I was worried about rattlesnakes in the canyons here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs