Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 AM

371 posts, read 1,261,385 times

Advertisements

Hey, all-
We've had our 2yr old pit/lab mix male now for a few months, working on various behaviors like leash, not jumping, etc. He was neutered about 3 weeks ago, and although I hoped he'd 'mellow out'- hasn't changed a thing. He seems incosistent to the dogs he 'likes', but tends to be a bit more agressive toward bigger dogs. Just this morning I was so embarassed at how he growled and pulled to get to our neighbors Chow mix.
Now- I think the dog park would help socialize him a lot- but how can I comfortably let a pit mix loose not knowing if he will be agressive toward a dog? When we first got him, he obviously wasn't so 'protective' and curious of other dogs...help! I know- what I know will be my nervous energy at the park- won't help. Do I try the dog park and chance things? By the way, he's never actually 'attacked' a dog or anything, it's more pulling terribly on the leash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,953,706 times
I dont think he is aggressive so much as wanting to play , I have a full blooded APBT and Hooch is always way courious about other dogs .. .. the stinker looks scary when he goes rushing up with his pitty grin but .. long as I am calm and the other owner doesnt freak out things are fine ..
I dont do dog parks .. to many to much for any young male dog .. ..
yes Hooch is nuetered and utd He is also a large male dog with a ton of energy we are teaching him flyball just because he needs the structure .. anykind of game that requires he look and listen to you is great ..
my pit dislikes little dogs .. but always submits to larger ones .. I did try a muzzle on him but that caused issues with people .. they over reacted when I was trying to teach my dog how to be social with strange dogs .. so no muzzle a strong leash and a calm owner works best

Old 10-25-2009, 09:25 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,459,583 times
NOOOOO!!!!!! OMG, until you've got him better trained don't go anywhere near a dog park!

You need a lot of training yourself. It sounds like he's insecure first of all. And his breed has absolutely nothing at all to do with his behavior, so get that out of your head now. I currently have 3 pits living in a home with 2 GSDs and 6 chiahuahuas and I have not had a single bit of aggression shown at all. Breed means not a damn thing.

You need to learn his body language first. When he starts looking like he may growl at another dog, you've got to be able to correct it then, before he growls. It's got to be a very sharp, fast correction and keep moving.

Get a trainer. Watch Cesar Milan.

Ugh. Where's Zugor?? She's got a great book she can recommend from another trainer as well. I don't know the trainer, but I trust Zugor implicitly so if she recommends it, it's a good one.

But training is the key. And you've got to build some confidence in that dog and get some education yourself before you even think of going to a dog park. Other people with dogs like yours go there. That's just a fight waiting to happen.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,479,295 times
First, it takes quite awhile for those hormones to be completely out of his system.
I absolutely would NOT try a dog park yet. That would be asking for trouble if you are not sure how he will re-act. Try setting up a play date in the confines of your backyard (actually someone's elses backyard would be better). Try one on one before turning him loose into a pack of dogs. Walking him among people and other dogs is a great step in socialization.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,920,332 times
"The OPther End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell is a great book! I've had dogs for 40+ yrs and I learned a few things in the first couple of chapters.

All the above advice is right - NO dog parks yet. Find someone with a dog who can come visit in your yard - a similar sized friendly dog. Take him to obediance class. Work on consistency in your training.

I have an adopted pittie that I got when he was about 1 y/o. He is juist the sweetest thing, as were all the pities at the shelter. It's ot the breed.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:46 AM

18,418 posts, read 19,075,680 times
get him and yourself in a class that will help a lot

Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 PM

371 posts, read 1,261,385 times
any training class? Like Pet Smart? Private trainers seem pricey, and I wouldn't even know who really knew their stuff.
No dog parks, despite what others in the neighborhood have said .."oh, my dog was like that too. Just get him imersed in other dogs". Uh, ok, not such good advice.
Again, he's never done anything agressive toward people, and doesn't flinch when my 2yr old steps on him, grabs his toys, etc. and I've only seen him really react to this Chow mix. But, advice taken. No dog parks, more training ( and by the way, could it be we're not harsh enuf w/ him and the snapping of the leash for correction?)

Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,608,982 times
I agree that walking with a fellow dog owner side by side (or maybe build up to that proximity if your dog seems nervous) is a good way to start. Pay attention to his body language before he lunges at another dog on leash and when he exhibits the behavior turn and quickly walk the other way. More importantly determine the distance that your dog sees another dog and remains calm. Distract him with obedience (like sit and "watch me") with treats and while he's distracted slowly move closer to the other dog. If he lunges, start over. I'd say a dog park is out of the question until your dog is socialized and his behavior is 100% predictable.

Dog parks are not for every dog...my dog often gets overwhelmed if there are more than a couple dogs in a smaller space. I've learned this and during peak dog park hours we'll go hiking or for a long walk instead.

I'd much prefer "It's Me or the Dog" (Victoria Stillwell) and positive training to Cesar Milan...but different methods work for different dogs. Research training methods and find one you're comfortable with. I have the "It's Me or the Dog" book and it's fantastic, I'd definitely recommend it.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:19 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,608,982 times
I wouldn't necessarily say you're not being harsh enough with regard to corrections. And when you said you wouldn't know who knew their stuff regarding trainers; I had this problem! It's overwhelming to look at trainers...I'd say research training methods and when you find one that makes sense to you, find a trainer that subscribes to those methods. Personally, I'm comfortable with positive methods, and they've really worked for my dog. But you have to do what makes sense to you.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,188,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Dog parks are not for every dog...my dog often gets overwhelmed if there are more than a couple dogs in a smaller space. I've learned this and during peak dog park hours we'll go hiking or for a long walk instead.
I second that...years ago I had an great little neutered male Cesky Terrier. He was totally submissive to my smaller female Australian Terrier, loved people and kids...but was a bit dog aggressive at the dog park. He was fine with female and neutered male dogs, but would pick on intact males, even if they were much larger than he was. He never quite got into a fight or bit another dog, but he got closer than I was comfortable with, so I concluded he was overwhelmed or afraid when there were too many dogs around, and got too bossy as a defensive maneuver. When I took him to the dog park at a quiet time when just a few of his "friends" were there, he was fine. Mostly I just took him for walks on his leash, and he seemed much happier.

The dog I have now is oblivious to dog park mayhem, and although she's a senior, she tolerates pesky puppies, little yappers, and big pushy dogs. If they bug her too much, she just scoots away and pays no attention, and they leave her alone. So she's fine at the dog park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs