Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,369,296 times

Advertisements

Yes, we have had 3 doxies and none had back problems due to the fact that we keep them at the right weight. and no up or down stairs, and no jumping off beds. They still manage to do couches at times tho ...

Good luck!!!! Most important thing is what you did! - get medical attention ASAP. I am sure doggie will be fine if you listen to what your doc says. And keep her correct weight for the rest of her life. No scraps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:46 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,421,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Thx everyone for info. and support. She is so scared and sad it's killing me. I feel so guilty for letting her jump off the bed. A friend mentioned doggie chiropractors, what do you think of this? Personally, I'm not for it but if it's a good thing for her I would consider it. She's such a little angel, so sad.

foxywench (funny name) - you mentioned it's common for this breed to become paralyzed? Does that usualy reverse with surgery?

Here's a pic of my baby from last year. She's also my profile picture.
What a pretty girl she is! As far as the chiropractor...I personally wouldn't risk it. Your girl can't tell you where it hurts and with a spinal injury I'd be afraid of more damage being done through manipulation. Also....Don't beat yourself up about "letting" her jump off the bed. You didn't know that she would be hurt and accidents happen. Positive thoughts only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What a beautiful dog! So sorry this happened. IMO if the vet thought it was really bad, she'd have been in surgery already. Hope it goes well.
I agree with Belle on this. I doubt the vet would have released her home if there was a serious risk of permanent paralysis.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:32 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,788,893 times
The vet faxed her tests/x-rays to the surgery/emergency center and said if she seems paralyzed or dragging her butt over the weekend I have to bring her right away. It's 2.5 hours away just to add to this nightmare. So far I've carried her outside several times and she won't pee or poop and just stares at me. I've only seen her pee once in two days which is not like her. Not sure what to make of that. Also, She keeps staring at the wall or away when she is in the crate. She has a glazed look. I don't know what all this means, can someone please help me. I'm so upset, alone and not well myself. I don't want to not take her to emergency if I have to but obviously it won't be easy if I do have to. My other dog is under my feet every move I make, I guess because she doesn't know whats going on and is upset, it's hard to handle them both. She kept me up all night. Should I only pick up my dog and take her out to try and pee if she cries or seems to try and move as if she needs to go out? Or just take her every couple hours in case she has to go? I should have asked that at the vet but I asked them so many questions and forgot some plus was so upset. I realize (now) this is common with Dachshunds but I never had a sick pet before like this and I'm kinda in panic mode plus sick to my stomach over it. Sorry to carry on and thank you for your help.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:54 AM

Rapture - Can you call the Vet to get a quick assessment to see what they feel you should do? I'm not a vet and as far as I know, no one who posts here is one. I understand your concerns and I would be just as frantic as you are. My gut is telling me that you SHOULD get her to the Vet immediately. At least to call them and tell them what you are seeing. My prayers are with you and your girl.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,885,880 times
iwhat medication did the vet put her on to reduce swelling? the meds in these situations take a while to kick in.

my parents cocker spaniel suffered a swolen disk last fall he could stand but it was difficult and he couldnt realy walk, it took 2 weeks on the meds before we saw much improvment at all.

im morer worried about the lack of potty time to be honest, if shes not peeing shes not hydrated and that can be trouble in itself, hows her apitite? starting could be anything from stress to confusion to pain, but the fact she doesnt seem to have peed in a few days is a little concerning...it could be that she is peeing in her crate and doest realize it (with back injuries they cant squat so pee often "dribbles") but i dunno...

pinch the skin (gently) on the back of her neck, does it return to normal imediatly or does it seem to stay pinched? if it stays pinched shes dehydrated...

its tough with doxies there such stubborn little dogs...
i typically avoid evets unless its a true emergnecy because they typuically do the basics charge you 10x more than a vet would only to tell you well now you have to see such and such for the rest of the treatment, i wouldnt want an emergency vet doing back surgery anyway so its likely all an emergency vet would give her fluids and keep her on cage rest with anti-inflamitories

Old 01-22-2011, 10:36 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,788,893 times
The vet is closed but gave me the emergency number for the surgery center. I called them and they were no help at all. She said, we can't advise you on your dog if we never saw her. I just wanted to know if I should be worried about her not peeing and pooping. Jeez, unbelievable. So I don't know what to do.

She ate her meal and a small snack. She will lick water off my finger but not drink from the bowl. They gave her 2 shots yesterday, dexamethasone and methocarbamol. They sent me home with some tablets to start tonight. She didn't pee in her crate, I checked.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
The vet is closed but gave me the emergency number for the surgery center. I called them and they were no help at all. She said, we can't advise you on your dog if we never saw her. I just wanted to know if I should be worried about her not peeing and pooping. Jeez, unbelievable. So I don't know what to do.
Just sent you a DM

Old 01-22-2011, 10:56 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,451,198 times
I don't have any words of wisdom (wish I did) just wanted to say I'm praying for both of you. You must be just frantic but try to be strong. Please keep us posted.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:12 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,519,290 times
I don't have any words of wisdom either. You do have a beautiful girl there. I just love those little long haired doxies. Well I love them all but am partial to the long haired ones. Just try to remain calm and keep trying to coax here to drink and go to the bathroom. Just know that here in T-Town we are keeping all fingers and paws crossed. Does your regular vet have a number he/she can be reached at? My vet always gave me his private cell number if I had any questions or concerns. I just realized that last question was kind of dumb, if you had the number I am sure you would have already called. I'll leave it in though.

Last edited by tookey; 01-22-2011 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: added to post

Old 01-22-2011, 02:20 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,126,923 times
I can certainly sympathize with you - my Frenchie had a recent incident with his back. Like Doxie's, they are also prone to back/neck problems.

Staring off and not responding to your voice or other stimuli often means they are in pain. Wolfgang was frozen with his pain, couldn't lie down or get comfortable. He's only two years old too.

What pain med did they send home with you? Did the e-vet take x-rays? I know they're expensive, but it's good to have a set of spine/neck done to have as a baseline for future changes. It's important your dog have pain meds so she can rest and heal. Crate rest isn't the easiest for some dogs, but it's a must for a good recovery. As for drinking water, use a syringe if you have to. She has to stay hydrated and if she doesn't want her regular kibble, feed her rice and either boiled chicken breast or ground meat. You don't want her to waste away.

And, check out the links from an earlier poster. They are a wealth of information, specifically for Doxies and all breeds prone to spinal issues.

Surgery might be required but it's not always necessary. Hang in there, keep her comfy and for yourself, take a Xanax...LOL She could be picking up on your stress and not resting like she should. Keeping your baby in my prayers and when she's up and around later on, get some doggy steps and teach her how to use them. Even low stools will help when getting on sofas, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs