Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:58 AM

455 posts, read 1,240,230 times

Advertisements

I am pleased to hear Bella is doing much better.

As you may know I have very few house rules, I would be inclined to get steps and ramps for her to be able to get on and off the furniture safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 04:23 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,787,452 times
I already have steps and had a ramp but they jump off furniture anyway. It only helps them get up the bed but they never use it to go down which is the real problem. I'm thinking of just not letting them on anything unless I'm holding them but it will be tough.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,419,492 times
Making a ramp is a very easy DIY job. No extrodinary skills are needed. All you need are 3 boards, 4 hinges, one piece of toe molding and a carpet reminant. Its a lot cheaper than buying one and can be custom fit to the height you need. DM me if you want basic instructions. It only takes and hour or so after getting the materials

and .... so glad that Bella is on the mend!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Making a ramp is a very easy DIY job. No extrodinary skills are needed. All you need are 3 boards, 4 hinges, one piece of toe molding and a carpet reminant. Its a lot cheaper than buying one and can be custom fit to the height you need. DM me if you want basic instructions. It only takes and hour or so after getting the materials

and .... so glad that Bella is on the mend!!!!!!!!

Thank you but we had a ramp and they would use it to go up but not to go down, they jump.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:37 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,419,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Thank you but we had a ramp and they would use it to go up but not to go down, they jump.
Treats and positive reinforcement for using the ramp work really well. Start the training with Bella in her harness and on leash for control to keep her from actually jumping down (for her safety). Use a word that you want her to associate with using the ramp. (Don't use "off" if you use it in other situations too). I suggest just using the word "ramp". The reward is only given when she has used the ramp (you can guide her with the leash at first so she understands what it is you want) all the way to the bottom and should be given with over the top enthusiasm and praise, especially at first. It will take repetition and positive reinforcement but doxies are smart little doggies and she should pick it up pretty quickly!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Thank you, I will do it!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,462,943 times
Im sorry I couldn't reply earlier But I Had a dog and the same thing happened. About a 4 year old dachshund and same thing happened with her discs. They basically told us she needed surgery or she would die, and the surgery would cost $2000. We took a chance and we made her sit on the couch everyday for over a month and thankfully over a year later she is back to 100% percent. Just don't let them jump off your bed or anything high, and they will be ok.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 AM

7 posts, read 8,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Any Doxie moms or dads out there this happened to? She jumped off the bed and let out a yelp and then hid shaking and dragging her butt. Obviously she was hurt, immediately took her to the vet and they took tons of tests. She has a couple collapsed disks and has to stay in a crate for 30 days not moving. They said she may need surgery if it doesn't get better. It's breaking my heart because she is in so much pain and can't move. Anyone go through this? Any advice or can you tell me if your dog had the surgery and how it went? She is only 2.5 yrs old and so sweet, it's terrible. : (
I know its ****ty my dogie has blood flow problems in her back and shes a little over weight and its killing me to watch her she won't doesn't even look like shes getting better and i am like 3 or 4 days in but i got a steroid from the vet and she is at least eating and drinking she wasn't even doing that Saturday i need advice on how to keep her still (i got her in a dogie bed during the day and at night shes in bed with me so i can monitor her) the vet said if she jumps off the couch she could blow a disc

Old 04-07-2016, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 661 times
Yes this happend to my baby to her name is hunny bunny she jumped off the bed i took her to the vet she is no longer able to move her back she is paralyzed from the middle of the spine down the vets said they can not do surgery i can't deal with putting her to sleep but it's causing her great pain any suggestions if its hurting her so much im ganna put her down

Old 05-19-2017, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 457 times
Default Maybe solution

I have 2 wiener dogs and they both had trouble jumping on the couch at different times.I fed them both wet cat food 2 times a day for 2 to 3 days and it solved the problem.Try giving your dog wet cat food next time your dog has trouble jumping on the couch.Worked for my 2 wiener dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs