Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,557,562 times

Advertisements

Only if I fall asleep in our chair. Otherwise, I sleep in my bed, and he sleeps in our chair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:31 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,440,114 times
sometimes

Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,431,781 times
2 of them always sleep on my bed and the 3rd sometimes joins us. He usually prefers his own bed, although he always comes up to snuggle for a minute before he goes out in the morning.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Yes. It wasn't my choice, but it's one of the things I compromised on. My boyfriend grew up with a dog who slept at the foot of his bed, and it was his preference. Due to his (dog's, not boyfriend's) propensity for getting into stuff, he has to be confined at night, and with the floor plan of our house, that's either in our room with us with the door closed or in his crate. He's crated while we're at work, and we weren't crazy about the idea of additionally crating him at night...too few hours in the day uncrated. I've gotten used to it, but it wouldn't have been my pick.

It's okay...he's not huge, he's only 35 lbs. He mostly lies at the foot of the bed. Sometimes it's a pain to keep the covers on yourself, because you have to tug them out from under him. He keeps my feet warm, which is nice. The only thing I really don't like about (and I REALLY don't like this about it) is the hair in the sheets. He's very sheddy. I have to launder bedding much more frequently than I otherwise would, which is annoying, and he's hard on bedding (has chewed holes in sheets and a down comforter before, and scratched the wooden bed frame jumping up onto the bed.

His history is, I suspect, somewhat mixed...he'd obviously slept in a bed with people before we got him at some point. The foster with the rescue told us that he loved sleeping on beds, but her husband nixed it while they were fostering him, and that he slept in a crate with them...but he wasn't crated during the day, she was home with him...were that the case, here, I'd feel better about crating him at night. My boyfriend's boss gave us a pet bed as a "housewarming" gift for him when we adopted him (she's a big dog person, even suggested that BF work from home for two weeks to help the dog to acclimate), but he's never cared a whit for it. Right now, I'm using it against the back door to block a draft.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 02-10-2011 at 08:18 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,627,093 times
Our dog sleeps on and in the bed. We usually get a ferret or three in the bed as well. We have had ferrets that loved to share a pillow with us.
The dog being a poodle does not shed. The ferrets when they shed blow the whole coat in a few hours at once.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,431,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Our dog sleeps on and in the bed. We usually get a ferret or three in the bed as well. We have had ferrets that loved to share a pillow with us.
The dog being a poodle does not shed. The ferrets when they shed blow the whole coat in a few hours at once.

The ferret yawn is too cute!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,869,986 times
lol, im amazed you manage to sleep with ferts in the bed. mine were always obsessed with toes, it didnt matter where i was, sitting, in bed ect, they always wanted to play eat mommies toes lol

Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
I'm single with a queensized bed and lots and lots of pillows. My beagle who has issures likes to sleep behind my pillow where she feels safe. She doesn't like being touched while sleeping and will bark at you. My puppy, six months old and able to put his big paws on my shoulder, but can sissor action the legs together and take up half the space, has to be touching mom. He drapes himself over me with his favorite cat, my smallest male who isn't much bigger than the dogs head, either on my shoulder or under my chin. Sometimes I wake up with the cat pinning down one side and the dog the other. Or the cat stretches out on me and the dog next to me and puts his head on the cat as a pillow. Then the dog sighs and the cat purrs and they cuddle cat and dog heard together.

My biggest problem is getting them to get up. I think my dog would sleep there all day with an occasional yard break and some food to interrupt his cuddle. My other cats, when number one honcho is sleeping with his doggie, strut around at night and argue over who owns the house in his absence.

On these nights its been in the teens or less, a nice soft warm dog is wonderful to pull under the covers and snuggle. Don't need much heat with him.

I've always slept with my dogs and cats. I just wish the whole family would come in and crash but I think the others have too much fun playing with nobody to stop them. My pup thinks its his absolute duty to stop andy and all fights cats engage in by running to them and barking until they quit.

I haven't figured out how to post my pictures on a message but have them on c-d page. Note how much bigger the pup is since his arrival and growing.

Last edited by nightbird47; 02-10-2011 at 10:54 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,561,870 times
Yes, and if I'd kick them out I might get a decent night's sleep. It's just the three of us in a king size bed, yet I still find myself sleeping at odd angles. LOL

Both of my beagles are incredibly lazy. Sometimes I have to physically drag them out of the bed in the morning. They both stay in the bed and sleep all night, and they are so sweet I could never kick them out. One was a stray for a long time and the other was in a puppy mill for a long time. I feel like they have earned the right to sleep in a big comfy bed the rest of their lives.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,450,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post

That picture is absolutely adorable.
I love how ferrets sleep like they are in a coma. I guess I am envious on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs