Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:17 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,307,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have post this before but,.......

Years ago hubby said it was him in the bed or, the dogs.

We still miss him at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I sleep with one 80 pound dog and three cats. When my husband & I were still together we had two queen sized beds shoved together to make one giant bed so there was room for everyone.
I bet it wasn't his idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 PM

27,163 posts, read 15,341,945 times
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 PM

140 posts, read 298,968 times
Considering our dog is a 100lb Husky sleeping in bed with us really isn't an option, any of the three cats can though, one cat LOVES the dog(the dog is ambivalent), the other two cats don't seem to care either way. They say Huskies are cat killers but from our experience the opposite is the case.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have post this before but,.......

Years ago hubby said it was him in the bed or, the dogs.

We still miss him at times.

Bwa-hahahaha!! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I use a quilt as a bedspread for this same reason. I used to have microfiber duvets/comforters, but they are like magnets for dog hair. It comes off, but that much washing is just wasteful. My quilts' texture allows for easy brushing off, and washing isn't as frequent as it had to be with the other bedspreads.
I hate it too so we started triple sheeting and it's MUCH easier! Just take the top sheet off each morning and toss it in the wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offsetdude View Post
Considering our dog is a 100lb Husky sleeping in bed with us really isn't an option, any of the three cats can though, one cat LOVES the dog(the dog is ambivalent), the other two cats don't seem to care either way. They say Huskies are cat killers but from our experience the opposite is the case.
I slept with a 180 pound mastiff, 90 pound shepherd, 5 pomeranians and two cats for years. LOL. I don't think I had a choice but I never really thought of it. It's comforting to me to have them in bed with me. I do understand the dog killing cats!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 PM

56 posts, read 159,514 times
The CDC recently published an article about pets transmitting zoonoses to their humans. Unfortunately, what they fail to make clear, but which can be reasonably inferred from the cases they cite, is that most of these pets were unhealthy and lacked regular veterinary care and/or their owners were poorly educated and/or unhealthy themselves: www.cdc.gov/eid/content/17/2/167.htm. Unfortunately, several large papers ran with the story and well... we all know what happens when the media gets hold of a story!

My 100-lb Ridgeback has always had his own bed, but from day one, would come to the edge of my bed and whine to get up. I respect that RRs love to cuddle with their humans and had been warned, but I tried everything to keep him off... quietly guiding him back to his own bed as a puppy... sternly telling him "no"... moving his bed closer to mine... moving his bed further away... you name it! Covering him in a blanket helped a little bit, but after two years of interrupted sleep (sometimes up to five times a night), I decided my sanity was more important than winning this particular battle and gave up.

Now, even though he starts the night in his own bed, somehow he's always lying right beside me, head on pillow, in the morning! So long as he doesn't wake me up, I can with live our compromise...

Last edited by Alegria2; 02-21-2011 at 12:26 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegria2 View Post
The CDC recently published an article about pets transmitting zoonoses to their humans. Unfortunately, what they fail to make clear, but which can be reasonably inferred from the cases they cite, is that most of these pets were unhealthy and lacked regular veterinary care and/or their owners were poorly educated and/or unhealthy themselves: Zoonoses in the Bedroom | CDC EID. Unfortunately, several large papers ran with the story and well... we all know what happens when the media gets hold of a story!

My 100-lb Ridgeback has always had his own bed, but from day one, would come to the edge of my bed and whine to get up. I respect that RRs love to cuddle with their humans and had been warned, but I tried everything to keep him off... quietly guiding him back to his own bed as a puppy... sternly telling him "no"... moving his bed closer to mine... moving his bed further away... you name it! Covering him in a blanket helped a little bit, but after two years of interrupted sleep (sometimes up to five times a night), I decided my sanity was more important than winning this particular battle and gave up.

Now, even though he starts the night in his own bed, somehow he's always lying right beside me, head on pillow, in the morning! So long as he doesn't wake me up, I can with live our compromise...
Yes I saw that story too. It was full of "may happen" and
"could contribute" sentences. Life is full of risks and everyone has to weigh those risks against the rewards. Having done so for our household, the rewards of our dogs outweigh any of the risks they cited. 'nuff said!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Yes I saw that story too. It was full of "may happen" and
"could contribute" sentences. Life is full of risks and everyone has to weigh those risks against the rewards. Having done so for our household, the rewards of our dogs outweigh any of the risks they cited. 'nuff said!
Um, according to your dogs, y'know, that should've read 'ruff said!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
LOL Yes they just corrected me on that point!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
and have you and Sammie been texting again?????

Old 02-21-2011, 08:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,478,260 times
Depends. If it's cold out and my heated mattress pad is on, Macie will stay on the bed most of the night. If it is warm out, she'll come up on the bed in the early part of the night (while we're reading or watching TV - sitting up in bed). Once it's "lights out" though, off she goes, onto her bed (near the A/C vent or sprawled out at the top of the stairs or somewhere else. Actually, when it's warm out she rotates her spots when where she is sleeping gets too warm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs