Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times

Advertisements

We've got 13 dogs in the house and they're welcome to sleep with us. I try to make the two pittie puppies sleep on the loveseat because they wake up in the middle of the night and want to play. I can't even begin to count how many times I've been awakened by a dog paw smacking me in the face. But the five chiahuahuas and poodle of ours sleep with us, the two chihuahua fosters, our staffie girl are ALWAYS in our bed. The shepherd girl NEVER sleeps with us. Don't know why but she refuses to get in the bed. Prefers the recliner. *shrug*

There've been times we've had over 40 dogs in the house. If they can fit in the bed with us, they're welcome. Keep us warm in the winter to boot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 05:30 PM

426 posts, read 1,571,624 times
I can see the merits of both sides of this. My dog sleeps at the foot of the bed, but only on a bedspread, that covers the whole bed when I'm not home. She has her own pillow, also on the foot of the bed. The cats have to stay on the bedspread, too. I'm not a fan of pet hair on my pillow, I have mild allergies and it does affect the quality of sleep.

I don't know about diseases, but the dog and cats walk around outside and I get icked out by the thought of what they might be tracking in on their paws (not to mention the bits of grass and leaves that stick to long dog hair, and the one cat that loves to roll around in the dirt.)

But then, I'm also a fan of a "no shoes in the house" policy. If the cats stayed indoors, I'd probably be more lenient about them.

And my dog gets annoyed when I move my feet too much, and will go sleep in her crate. I guess *I* keep *her* up. It'd be funny to read the dogs' responses to a thread, do you sleep with your humans.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 AM

553 posts, read 1,633,794 times
I have two beige lumps (aka dogs) permanently attached to my mattress. So yes, the dogs sleep in bed.

DH and I got a king-size bed since Odie is such a bed hog, then we added Lanie to the family. We couldn't let one dog sleep in bed and not let the other, so they both sleep with us. Never between us though. I wash the sheets constantly, and we use a quilt rather than a comforter or even a duvet, because a quilt is much easier to wash.

Future dogs won't be sleeping in our bed though.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:24 PM

455 posts, read 1,239,716 times
Duke is allowed to sleep on our bed every now and again or if there is a problem and I need to keep an eye on him.

He loves coming upstairs to me on a morning. He drives me nuts, he is so restless and then settles, just in time for the alarm to ring

Don't you just love em.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,892,018 times
No. My dog has a bed.

It has nothing at all to do with disease. And I love my German Shepherd to pieces. But he is a dog, not person. His place is not in my bed.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
I have post this before but,.......

Years ago hubby said it was him in the bed or, the dogs.

We still miss him at times.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM

455 posts, read 1,239,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have post this before but,.......

Years ago hubby said it was him in the bed or, the dogs.

We still miss him at times.
so funny, had me chuckling.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
I have two beige lumps (aka dogs) permanently attached to my mattress. So yes, the dogs sleep in bed.

DH and I got a king-size bed since Odie is such a bed hog, then we added Lanie to the family. We couldn't let one dog sleep in bed and not let the other, so they both sleep with us. Never between us though. I wash the sheets constantly, and we use a quilt rather than a comforter or even a duvet, because a quilt is much easier to wash.

Future dogs won't be sleeping in our bed though.
I use a quilt as a bedspread for this same reason. I used to have microfiber duvets/comforters, but they are like magnets for dog hair. It comes off, but that much washing is just wasteful. My quilts' texture allows for easy brushing off, and washing isn't as frequent as it had to be with the other bedspreads.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 PM

422 posts, read 1,363,037 times
I used to say that my dog would not sleep with me, now I have 2 with me.

It started when I allowed Chipper (first dog) to sleep in a chair beside the bed and he jumped up on the bed in the middle of the night and I didn't stop it.

Now Chipper and Zoey are in the queen bed with me. Zoey is either near my feet or somewhere near my legs, crook of the knee if she is above the covers. Sometimes she likes to burrow under the covers. Chipper is the bigger dog and will lean up against me or at the foot of the bed.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:06 AM

25 posts, read 56,141 times
I sleep with my golden retriever. Well I try at least, because he is a such a stubborn dog and he wants his own space which is his bed. I put him on the bed and we fall asleep together, but I always end up finding him on his bed in the middle of the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs