Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 PM

737 posts, read 2,593,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
What size is the dog? This is a new development and not something that's been going on for a while?
She is a terrier mix rescue that used to walk close to the wall when I first adopted her (because someone obviously kicked her so if she walked close to a wall, she wouldn't go as far).

So, this is an interesting question.

She bites (crotch height) when introduced/confronted with men that wear tool belts. This includes the law enforcement officials that stop by to chat and check on us since we are so rural. We give them baked goods and Cokes and hang out for a few, but she goes after them because of the "tool" belt.

Long story short, she was obviously kicked repeatedly (she is crooked) and never barked for the first 7 months after I adopted her. When she did, it was weird sounding but became a real bark as she became more involved in being a pet again. It is possible this has been something she has been dealing with for a long time.

As you mentioned, yes, she has honked before but only after eating grass and the bile was green and almost immediate. The bile now is white as she no longer eats grass and the honking was 20 - 30 minutes,not the 30 seconds we have witnessed, which is why we took her to the vet.

She is a bit overweight at 18 pounds; she was emaciated when I adopted her; 12 pounds, so I guess she would be more comfortable with loosing 2 - 3 pounds, maybe? But why? At this point, the vet is telling me to get calories into her and if it is dog treats, then so be it.

I guess I really need to go over this conversation again with my DH. The vet showed us the x-ray and showed what a mild collapse would look like versus her collapse. I understand that he wanted to illustrate the severity of the situation.

Still, this is very difficult.

Thanks for the question because it really has me thinking right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
sunset -- so sorry, it's a terrible condition. short answer, from my perspective.

for this reason, he's never left alone. when he vomits, i let him finish and then hold him and administer a modified version of cpr, including breathing in and out of his nose and rubbing his throat.
Thanks for the post, modified CPR... guess I'll be googling again tonight. I wouldn't have thought about it but seems to make sense.

Has anyone else done this, successfully?

I mean if she goes into trauma, can I actually breathe into her to keep her going until the vet gets here? I'm thinking that it is theoretically possible and then have the vet come to a calm, living pet and do the right thing at that time.

This has my hopes up. Thank you. Just want her to go peacefully and at her home. Not sure about rubbing the throat as the collapse is in that area and could make matters worse; okay, another sleepless night....

Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,134,707 times
A friend on another dog forum has the "three favorite things" rule for knowing when to let go. She lists her pets three favorite things/activities and when these are no longer part of daily living, she prepares herself to say goodbye.

I wish you strength and resolve...these decisions are heart breaking. (((HUGS))) to you and keeping you and your precious pup in my prayers.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 AM

ZSP, I found a July 2006 post from racelady88 - very helpful. It is spot on with your excellent advice. I've only included her post here to help this advice show up more in searches on the forum.

Thank you for your advice as that is the real answer to my question. She is showing a huge improvement and is now getting up to get her dog food and water. Last night was her first night without any honking, so she is back on her regular sleep schedule. She might think she has to hang around for me as I have some medical issues and have some bad days where we spend the day cuddling. We have decided to give this a month based on the remarkable improvement with the meds. After that, she will only be on two meds, one is on an as-needed basis. If that med doesn't work the first time she needs it then the decision will be easy.

Here is racelady88's post: "Here is the rule I follow. I ask myself what the dog's 3 favorite things are. Then I ask myself if the dog is still enjoying those 3 things. If I can't honestly say yes, then I know it is time.

I am also a believer in letting go early, rather than risking the chance that a beloved old friend should suffer because I waited."

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 02-18-2011 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 AM

8,286 posts, read 38,854,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Thanks for the post, modified CPR... guess I'll be googling again tonight. I wouldn't have thought about it but seems to make sense.

Has anyone else done this, successfully?

I mean if she goes into trauma, can I actually breathe into her to keep her going until the vet gets here? I'm thinking that it is theoretically possible and then have the vet come to a calm, living pet and do the right thing at that time.

This has my hopes up. Thank you. Just want her to go peacefully and at her home. Not sure about rubbing the throat as the collapse is in that area and could make matters worse; okay, another sleepless night....
The experience I've had with tracheal collapse is with a teeny, tiny dog whose airway is barely bigger than a swizzle stick and she's otherwise vibrant and healthy, so take this with a grain of salt...

I wouldn't call it modified CPR so much as influencing the dog to change his or her internal pressure conditions. Our little dog will start honking with just about any sort of excitement or exertion. Any time the dog is rapidly and forcefully inhaling she's at risk of flattening her trachea (much like trying to draw a thick milkshake through a straw) and once she starts, she panics and tries ever harder to pull air into her lungs, thereby exacerbating the problem. We've found that picking her up and turning her belly up makes her a little uneasy. This takes her attention away from the suffocation panic for a moment and causes her to clench all of her abdominal muscles - forcing her diaphragm to reverse it's pressure and re-inflate the trachea. Big tail wag and palpable relief when she's returned to her feet.

An elderly 18 pound dog is different, but it may be worthwhile to get creative to see if there's something you can do to get her to "push" instead of "pull" when she starts honking.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 PM

9 posts, read 5,816 times
I know I'm a bit late on this thread, however I hope you were able to find a solution for your dog, unfortunately we were unable to save our Tyson. Its very hard to watch your best friend suffer. I was told that had we operated on him he would have most likely passed away on the operating table, they really left us no solution, other than calming meds which really barely help. We had tried CPR on him however we were unsuccessful. I'd really like to see some sort of a successful treatment developed so that families wouldnt have to go through the same heartache we had gone through. All the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs