Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:22 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,842 times

Advertisements

[quote=luvmycat;18256124]I don't think you're being paranoid at all...I would be taking the same precautions if I were in your shoes. (Actually, I take these precautions anyway, my little dogs are never out of my sight when we're outside in the yard even though it's fenced .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
This means I may also have to give up my cat. My cat goes outside and could easily stumble upon one of those sharp objects I may not have caught or worse. Unlike dogs, cats cannot really be confined.
Quote:
PLEASE confine your cat for the time being...if this neighbor of yours is as vindictive and angry as you're making him out to be, he could hurt or kill the poor baby .

Cats certainly can be happy indoors, I have three indoor cats and they are very happy to RULE this house, LOL !
Well, then you are smarter than I am, as I've always felt that no one would ever intentionally harm an animal (at least not my previous neighbor), but I have read so much and now know I was very naive.

As to my kitty, well, it's sort of hard to confine him as he is used to being outdoors for brief periods when HE WANTS TO. Best I can do is put him in the garage and hope that suffices as an outdoor feeling. Still, I don't think it will. For right now, I am just appreciating the fact he is an older cat and doesn't want to be out like he used to be. He might be out for a couple of hours and comes in and spends the night indoors. There is a cat in the neighborhood that constantly roams in other peoples' yards (and I mean all night long) and no harm has come to him. I have to think on this one, but thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 03:04 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
I would keep the cat in, he will be just as susceptible to poisoning as your dogs are.

Perhaps your contractor could build a little outdoor enclosure for your cat too, so he can get that "outdoor" feeling but be safe.

Ask your contractor about it.....I am sure he will have some good ideas of something he could build, especially if he loves animals.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
[quote=mistygrl092;18256290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I don't think you're being paranoid at all...I would be taking the same precautions if I were in your shoes. (Actually, I take these precautions anyway, my little dogs are never out of my sight when we're outside in the yard even though it's fenced .)

Well, then you are smarter than I am, as I've always felt that no one would ever intentionally harm an animal (at least not my previous neighbor), but I have read so much and now know I was very naive.

As to my kitty, well, it's sort of hard to confine him as he is used to being outdoors for brief periods when HE WANTS TO. Best I can do is put him in the garage and hope that suffices as an outdoor feeling. Still, I don't think it will. For right now, I am just appreciating the fact he is an older cat and doesn't want to be out like he used to be. He might be out for a couple of hours and comes in and spends the night indoors. There is a cat in the neighborhood that constantly roams in other peoples' yards (and I mean all night long) and no harm has come to him. I have to think on this one, but thanks for the input.
Yes..some will hurt animals.

My hound came home from his first trainer full of blood. Oh, course I was shocked when I saw him.

I was assured it was not his blood.

It was from the cat they encouraged him to kill. They made sure he could not be harmed.

Do not give animals away lightly.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 AM

[quote=Driller1;18257041]
Quote:
Yes..some will hurt animals.

My hound came home from his first trainer full of blood. Oh, course I was shocked when I saw him.

I was assured it was not his blood.

It was from the cat they encouraged him to kill. They made sure he could not be harmed.

Do not give animals away lightly.
Believe me, I don't. It's just when all an animal knows is freedom (in this instance, being able to go outside and roam) and you take that away, it's never a good situation. I suppose I could just MAKE him be an indoor cat, but I am not sure he'd ever stop meowing. It's like an instinct that has to be fed - almost like a need.

Do you think that now I have reported this to the police that he would be stupid enough to actually poison one of my animals? Especially if he's being told next time it happens he is arrested? Of course, given the fact cats go all over, there would be no way to prove it. But his brain works differently than mine, as I'd rather sue a neighbor in court if I had to "get even" than anything else. I would never take anything out on an animal.

As to building another enclosure, I'm doing about what I can afford. In the last six months, I've had to have all floors redone (due to animals), a new pool motor, a new dishwasher, a new irrigation timer, and now I need a new stove and need to have the alarm system fixed. Oh, and two root canals. IOW, I am more than tapped out considering I don't have a job. My contractor is only charging me $220 to get this built, which I consider a real deal. No, it will be nothing fancy, just basically an enclosed area without even a gate. I'm trying to keep costs down on everything. It's the kind of thing a prospective buyer might not want there and would rip it down anyway.

If this jerk next door would just hurry up and finish his house, I could put mine on the market which I want to ASAP. I realized I cannot afford to move somewhere else just to get away and leave this house sit vacant, as I'd still be paying for utilities and taxes and someone would have to maintain the yard and pool. Plus, I wouldn't put it past him to vandalize it if I didn't live here.

BTW, Driller, I think that is kind of a bad and sad story that some trainer encouraged your dog to kill a cat!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:58 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Perhaps your contractor could build a little outdoor enclosure for your cat too, so he can get that "outdoor" feeling but be safe.
A co worker has one of these. Her hubby is pretty handy so he built one, they love it!

Old 03-13-2011, 12:06 PM

29 posts, read 138,898 times
Quote:
Thanks, Driller. It's a kind sentiment that you'd take them until their little area is through. No, it won't be like the big back yard they had, but they are little so it should work out ok with walks. I have a super cool contractor and, since he's been through a dog poisoning himself, I think he knows time is sort of critical here and he is working me in.

I'm sorry things worked out this way too. Hopefully when that cop calls him he'll know not to mess with anything further, as he now knows he'd be suspect number 1. However, I cannot predict anyone's behavior who would do such a thing in the first place, so I may be wrong.

The authorities now know of this and there is nothing else I can do, except to get that alarm system fixed next week and start seriously thinking about gun training and getting one. Short of that, a baseball bat is something I can pick up. Also, that contractor has a metal detector so I am going to ask him to bring it on Tuesday and then I can look for any more pieces I may have missed. I am just really lucky that contractor was here when the police called, as he was able to explain the pieces and what they're used for better than I.

And as soon as that monstrosity next door is finished, I can try to sell. No one would buy a house sitting next to it not knowing what is going up at this point anyway.

And thanks to all those who said I was not being paranoid in this thread, as you may well have helped saved some little creatures from being really hurt or worse. When I read some of the replies here, it just confirmed what I'd been feeling. And that meant I didn't let them out in the back yard.
It sounds a bit paranoid because the OP fails to show the neighbor has a history of violence towards people/animals

Paranoia
1. A mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.

2. Baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdave View Post
It sounds a bit paranoid because the OP fails to show the neighbor has a history of violence towards people/animals

Paranoia
1. A mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.

Well, the police disagree with you. I wish I could post an image of what I found, but don't know how and that would take up too much of my time right now.

I'd say throwing over 15 sharp objects to step on in my dogs' yard is not paranoia.

Or are you one of these people that actually has to experience a dog poisoning before you "get it" that there are sickos out there who do these things? I prefer to stay safe rather than sorry.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:11 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdave View Post

Paranoia

Regardless, when you have a gut instinct about something, you should listen to it. We forget this sometimes because we're so trained to figure things out "logically"...somewhere down the line humans forgot that instinct is not just for animals...if we don't practice it, it becomes dormant.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Regardless, when you have a gut instinct about something, you should listen to it. We forget this sometimes because we're so trained to figure things out "logically"...somewhere down the line humans forgot that instinct is not just for animals...if we don't practice it, it becomes dormant.
Very well said! Every time I have ignored my instincts I have paid the price for it. I look back on my life and it's a miracle I'm still alive. Don't ask me why it's taken me 51 years to figure this out. I now trust my gut instinct (fairly recent experience) and have discovered it's been dead on, even with respect to things in the past. I always relied on my rational side of my brain rather than my intuition, so I'd enourage anyone out there dealing with any situation to go with your instincts. I filed the complaint on Mar 4, city came out on Mar 7, first piece of metal found Mar 9. That whole week I had a feeling I should not be putting my dogs out there, with no evidence until Wed. So I didn't.

My instincts right now tell me that was a warning and a preview of things to come, if I dare to challenge within my legal rights and city codes. Therefore, it was a very good recommendation from a friend to go on the record. This, if anything, should dissaude him from doing anything else. However, I am thinking like a rational person here and I am not dealing with one, so who knows....

If Misty disappears from the forum one day, it will either be due to banning or being disappeared in a permanent way.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:55 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
[quote=mistygrl092;18259165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

Believe me, I don't. It's just when all an animal knows is freedom (in this instance, being able to go outside and roam) and you take that away, it's never a good situation. I suppose I could just MAKE him be an indoor cat, but I am not sure he'd ever stop meowing. It's like an instinct that has to be fed - almost like a need.

Do you think that now I have reported this to the police that he would be stupid enough to actually poison one of my animals? Especially if he's being told next time it happens he is arrested? Of course, given the fact cats go all over, there would be no way to prove it. But his brain works differently than mine, as I'd rather sue a neighbor in court if I had to "get even" than anything else. I would never take anything out on an animal.

As to building another enclosure, I'm doing about what I can afford. In the last six months, I've had to have all floors redone (due to animals), a new pool motor, a new dishwasher, a new irrigation timer, and now I need a new stove and need to have the alarm system fixed. Oh, and two root canals. IOW, I am more than tapped out considering I don't have a job. My contractor is only charging me $220 to get this built, which I consider a real deal. No, it will be nothing fancy, just basically an enclosed area without even a gate. I'm trying to keep costs down on everything. It's the kind of thing a prospective buyer might not want there and would rip it down anyway.

If this jerk next door would just hurry up and finish his house, I could put mine on the market which I want to ASAP. I realized I cannot afford to move somewhere else just to get away and leave this house sit vacant, as I'd still be paying for utilities and taxes and someone would have to maintain the yard and pool. Plus, I wouldn't put it past him to vandalize it if I didn't live here.

BTW, Driller, I think that is kind of a bad and sad story that some trainer encouraged your dog to kill a cat!
That is why Rip has another trainer.

Plus, I learned sometimes if dogs are trained on a "hot" sent, they won't tack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs