Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 38,913 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone would help me
I found a lump on the right side of my dog's chest right beneath her nipple.
She's a 9 year old pure breed shih tzu. She has been with my family for 8 years. the vet we had closed his business a few months ago and we have not yet found another one.

the lump feels like a cushion, its soft and moves a bit, its about an inch and a half long and an inch wide. some parts are harder, like peas. those portions are about the same size as peas, too.

she is behaving normally but it does hurt her a bit when the lump is pinched, though it doesn't seem to hurt if it is pushed on.

Any help would be appreciated.

I love her so much and I need to know what I can do to help her! Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Usually soft lumps that move freely are just fatty tumors that aren't cancerous, but it's always good to have a vet check them. And having smaller, hard lumps within them sounds suspicious to me. Can you ask other pet owners around you for a recommendation for a new vet? Even if you have to take her to a random vet, someone needs to check it out. I hope you get a good report on her.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Find a new vet to check it out ASAP. Stop messing with the lump as you don't need to irritate it.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:34 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Just to be safe, I always had them biopsied when they'd pop out on those walking tumors some people call Dobermans. Never had any that weren't benign, but I still had them checked.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 AM

88 posts, read 236,662 times
I would have it checked by a Vet to be safe because of the area where it is located. I would not pinch it either because you are not sure what it is yet & would not want it to spread or irritate it. Best of luck with your dog.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM

99 posts, read 531,395 times
Is she spayed? Mammary cancer is a greater possibility if she is not.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM

288 posts, read 692,641 times
Older dogs often develop warts and fatty type lumps (Lipomas)

However, your description concerned me; due to it's location and also you describe parts of the lump as being very hard and pea like, you should see a vet to have this examined.

My first concern would be mammory cancer especially if she is not spayed. the risk is much higher in ******* that are not spayed.

Please get a professional consultation as soon as you can.

Please let us know how you get on.

this is definately not something that you should ignore.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
If it's soft and moves around, it's okay. The ones you have to worry about are the ones that don't move, like they are attached deep inside.

My old lab has probably 30 lumps on him---all of various sizes and characteristics. He's 14 and still with us!

We had the first one biopsied 8 years ago (fatty tumor). We never bothered to biopsy the new ones as they appeared.

Definitely consult a vet---just to make sure.

btw, I definitely agree with those who say not to pinch it.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If it's soft and moves around, it's okay. The ones you have to worry about are the ones that don't move, like they are attached deep inside.

My old lab has probably 30 lumps on him---all of various sizes and characteristics. He's 14 and still with us!

We had the first one biopsied 8 years ago (fatty tumor). We never bothered to biopsy the new ones as they appeared.

Definitely consult a vet---just to make sure.

btw, I definitely agree with those who say not to pinch it.

I would still have an aspiration /biopsy done as Jazz had a lump on her chest that was soft and moved around and one of my vets partners that saw her pretty much guaranteed me it was a lipoma( fatty tumor) so nothing to worry about but my 6th sense said she was wrong. Turns out I was right as it was a nerve sheath sarcoma and needed to be removed ASAP.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times
I had a doberman when I was a kid and when he was baout 4 e had a tumor that was soft (sort of like a cyst) and we never thought about it, after about 1 year and a half he started walking funny on the leg closest to it and in about a week wouldnt move at all. We took him to the vet and found out it was some form of cancer (I was young and dont remember what type) and it would cost 3000.00 for the operation where there was only a 50% chance of survival.

We werent rich so we just assumed he would die but then my mom got one of those vet credit cards he was able to have the operation and he lived to be 13! Best dog I have ever met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs