Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:33 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,828,399 times

Advertisements

While I understand there are many, many great groomers out there, I would rather do it myself (and I had/have Maltese dogs!) bc I feel they get less stressed and more comfortable when they are home with me.

It takes practice - as most things in life - but I believe it is something that pretty much any pet owner can learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,272,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Thanks for all of your responses. After watching the 2 hr video, I learned a lot. I really don't think he's going to go for those clippers due to the sound. He doesn't like the hair dryer, so I blow him half or less than half way and let him take care of the rest by drying himself on the carpet, couch and chairs

She showed the 3 different types of cuts on the video. Best of all she showed Yorkshire Terrier dogs that won't stay still. But my Yorkie has her beat, he wiggly-er than hers She also showed on the video the tools you'll need and where to purchase them at.

I've never heard of a "Keeshon". Maybe I've seen one, but what kind of dog is this~?
Keeshonds look a lot like a husky/sheltie mix dog. I fostered a whole litter of them once -what a funny bunch. I had them all in the car to go to an adoption event and they were all barking up a storm until I put music on and they shut right up immediately, but as soon as I turned the music off they started right back up that instant.

In the backyard I found them - one had dug a hole and they all piled in it because it was cool. My house was without airconditioning at the time.

Last edited by Thursday007; 04-13-2011 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 01:28 PM

5,121 posts, read 16,637,636 times
I groom my dog myself. She's just a mutt so I don't need to do a REALLY good job. I just focus on trimming her where she needs it and trying not to stress her out.

I started grooming my dogs after a friend's dog had a bad experience at the groomers. After that, I couldn't allow myself to take my dog to any groomer ever again.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,925,054 times
a GOOD groomer is a valuable asset...
i think too many people dont know what to look for in a groomer, i always ask to see certificates and stay and watch the first couple of visits. for me it was more about cost though, and i enjoy doing it so i took some courses, got my own certification and now do my own dogs (and occasionally other peoples)

i couldnt be a groomer full time, i love grooming well behaved dogs, but many dogs are NOT good at the groomers...a good groomer realy does earn their money lol.
least doing it my way, i can pick and choose clients to supliment my income as needed.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,580,574 times
Yes. My smooth collie is super easy - strip some undercoat, wash, dry, go on with your life...she jumps in the pool every chance she gets, anyway.

My rough collie is more heavy lifting...it just takes more time and soap, really.

We have those self-groom places you can go and pay 15 bucks and use all the tanks and grooming tools. But in the summer, it's backyard dog wash for all!!!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 AM

3,754 posts, read 12,442,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. My smooth collie is super easy - strip some undercoat, wash, dry, go on with your life...she jumps in the pool every chance she gets, anyway.

My rough collie is more heavy lifting...it just takes more time and soap, really.

We have those self-groom places you can go and pay 15 bucks and use all the tanks and grooming tools. But in the summer, it's backyard dog wash for all!!!
Thankfully all of our dogs are wash & wear. No clippers needed and grooming consists of furminating them as needed. Even if I did have dogs that needed to be groomed, I don't think I'd try and do it myself. I've given my kids and my DH a haircut only once and I certainly do not have the talent for it. I'd take a close look at your skills. If you have a talent for it then by all means groom away. If not, I'd leave it to the professionals.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Thankfully all of our dogs are wash & wear. No clippers needed and grooming consists of furminating them as needed. Even if I did have dogs that needed to be groomed, I don't think I'd try and do it myself. I've given my kids and my DH a haircut only once and I certainly do not have the talent for it. I'd take a close look at your skills. If you have a talent for it then by all means groom away. If not, I'd leave it to the professionals.
Yeah. I used to think our dogs would look better if a professional did 'em, but 80 bucks later, it might as well have been me (except I don't tie a bandana on them). Doesn't matter which groomer, and some of them actually do a crappier job.

I mean, how hard is it to wash and dry a dog? We aren't even talking about any clipping...now THAT is complicated stuff I wouldn't touch.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:56 AM

3,754 posts, read 12,442,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah. I used to think our dogs would look better if a professional did 'em, but 80 bucks later, it might as well have been me (except I don't tie a bandana on them). Doesn't matter which groomer, and some of them actually do a crappier job.

I mean, how hard is it to wash and dry a dog? We aren't even talking about any clipping...now THAT is complicated stuff I wouldn't touch.
Oh - washing the dogs I do myself. I let the sun do the drying. I consider "grooming" to be a process that involves clippers or scissors. In my hands....those have proved to be dangerous weapons

Luckily....I can't do much damage with a bottle of shampoo

Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,925,054 times
wow stan..thats scary, its not like giving a dog a bath is technical...how could the groomers do a crappy job, i agree with you...my guess is theyve got highschool kids doing the baths...

there was actually an article written that got one of our local groomers shut down...it turned out they wernt even washing the dogs, simply giving them a dry bath and doing a half arsed job of combing them out...add a bandanna and charger $50 for the privledge...

i feel comfortable with a good pair of clippers, but im still mastering scissoring on many breeds...scissors are difficult! :P

Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,868,454 times
I went to the library and got a book on how to groom a dog--I think it might have been especially about Pomeranians.

I still take my Pomeranian to be groomed twice a year, especially for summer but in between times I can do it myself with a comb and a good pair of scissors.

Of course, he's a good boy and stands still for me and cookies are always in plain sight. It's a matter of separating the fur into layers and cutting straight across. We should get something electric for his tummy but so far my husband just holds him while I snip snip snip the tummy fur. He looks just fine.

We also bathe him and use a hair dryer on him. He gets rave reviews when he goes out walking and we save a ton of money on grooming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs