Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,613,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Any dog regardless of breed, prey drive, etc etc, that you have to chase after, not come back when called or can't be stopped from chasing a rabbit has an owner who has failed their dog.

It's not the dogs fault, It's your fault.
Absolutely incorrect. Hound mix, sighthound - not a good idea.

I adopted my dog (some kind of mystery hound mix) when she was 1.4 yrs old, so the odds were against me there for great recall. We work on it EVERY day, every walk. She's allowed off leash in our fenced yard, but will never be allowed off leash in an unfenced area. She sees cats as prey, unfortunately. We're working on that. But it's not worth trying - the last thing I need is for her to run up to a child or another dog. I'll leash her, and let her run in fenced areas.

This is all kind of a pet peeve with me, because people sometimes have their dogs unleashed in their front yards and when I am walking by with mine leashed, and ask them to grab their dog (running toward mine) - inevitably I hear, "Oh, he/she's fine." My answer: "Mine may not be."

Happened on a recent hike when two pit bulls ran up to my dog, was very lucky that nothing happened. After being attacked by an unleashed dog, my dog is very reactive when dogs are in her face.

(have I strayed off topic?)

Old 05-23-2011, 10:02 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Absolutely incorrect. Hound mix, sighthound - not a good idea.

I adopted my dog (some kind of mystery hound mix) when she was 1.4 yrs old, so the odds were against me there for great recall. We work on it EVERY day, every walk. She's allowed off leash in our fenced yard, but will never be allowed off leash in an unfenced area. She sees cats as prey, unfortunately. We're working on that. But it's not worth trying - the last thing I need is for her to run up to a child or another dog. I'll leash her, and let her run in fenced areas.

This is all kind of a pet peeve with me, because people sometimes have their dogs unleashed in their front yards and when I am walking by with mine leashed, and ask them to grab their dog (running toward mine) - inevitably I hear, "Oh, he/she's fine." My answer: "Mine may not be."

Happened on a recent hike when two pit bulls ran up to my dog, was very lucky that nothing happened. After being attacked by an unleashed dog, my dog is very reactive when dogs are in her face.

(have I strayed off topic?)
You are 100% on topic.

Responsible owners keep their dogs safe.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:06 AM

One thing that just amazes me is at training or, a meet how quickly when unleashed hounds will form a hunting pack.

They get a running order and are off in a matter of two minutes or, less.

Another reason to keep them leashed!!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 AM

909 posts, read 3,366,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
One thing that just amazes me is at training or, a meet how quickly when unleashed hounds will form a hunting pack.

I'm sorry, I know it's a pain for the owners but this just made me laugh
Also sounds amazing.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:

I noticed this at the dog park - my dog was happy to jump into the fray. Stopped taking her to the dog park, sigh. Not so much for that but it didn't help. I suspect my dog may have been a deer hunting dog in her former life. She is wonderful but I had NO idea of what I was in for when I adopted her - totally my fault, I didn't know what I didn't know! My last dog was a shih tzu...

Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I noticed this at the dog park - my dog was happy to jump into the fray. Stopped taking her to the dog park, sigh. Not so much for that but it didn't help. I suspect my dog may have been a deer hunting dog in her former life. She is wonderful but I had NO idea of what I was in for when I adopted her - totally my fault, I didn't know what I didn't know! My last dog was a shih tzu...
I am also new to the world of hounds.

I have two spoiled rotten labs.

Rip was bought for my hubby to hunt bear.

All of his things have a drop of "bear scent" on them.

Even his food.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
And I disagree with you.
My dogs are bilingual too.

Instinct or not you can train your dog to listen to you, all of the time.

I've owned high drive dogs, with a strong prey drive and they will not chase with out permission.

Your just letting your dog get away with it and your justifying it by using it's instinct as an excuse.
Snofarmer, if this is true, can you recommend a training method? Genuine question. I have done a ton of training with my dog, but she will selectively ignore at times. For example, in our yard when she's treed a squirrel, or sees a cat. On leash I can work with her, but off, she has zero interest at times. The other thing is higher value. I'd love for her to have the reliable recall I see in other dogs, but I don't see this happening.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Snofarmer, if this is true, can you recommend a training method? Genuine question. I have done a ton of training with my dog, but she will selectively ignore at times. For example, in our yard when she's treed a squirrel, or sees a cat. On leash I can work with her, but off, she has zero interest at times. The other thing is higher value. I'd love for her to have the reliable recall I see in other dogs, but I don't see this happening.
I don't see you getting much of an answer here.

Hounds are different.

Rip like treats so, one would think he would come for a treat.....

Then if he has been on a hunt, he will go days without eating.

The hunt instinct is just stronger.

All of Rips's trainers have said the same thing.

One said a whistle will work on a few.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,415,570 times
Quote:
I don't see you getting much of an answer here.

Hounds are different.

Rip like treats so, one would think he would come for a treat.....

Then if he has been on a hunt, he will go days without eating.

The hunt instinct is just stronger.

All of Rips's trainers have said the same thing.

One said a whistle will work on a few.
Very true statements. I've trained a lot of different dogs for a lot of years and learned very quickly to work WITH their dominant breed instincts for the best results. As an example, you wouldn't expect a Lab to be easy to train for herding sheep any more than you should expect a hound to be good at duck retrieval.

Its wonderful to hope for perfect recall from a hound but in my experience, you shouldn't count on it or anticipate it.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,179,145 times
Again you are the master your dog serves you.

If your dog breaks command or does not listen to you REGARDLESS of breed you are not being consistent or you have not proven you are dominate or the top dog to your dog.

You are your dogs pet.

Stop treating your dog like a child, it's a dog

All dogs like to chase no matter if it is a hound or not.

Gee, how did I ever train many GSD's to stay in a down command or sit as kids, cats, squirrels, people riding bike or calling the dog?

It's a long process that starts with basic obedience training.

In other words sit, means sit.
If your dogs but doesn't drop it's but the first time you say it, you need to go back and train your dog to sit when you say so.

next, drill on down, platz, use one word commands, not "will you please lay down for mommy, i have a treat for you?"

If you train this into your dog the next time it starts to run instead of yelling, fluffy, stop fluffy, stop, come here fluffy, come here. does your dog know this command and why would it pick out the control sound out of a sentence?

Anyway, just yell down or for me platz and the dog will stop and lie down, allowing for you to recall the dog.

If your dog does not do these simple things how can you control your dog.

so most of you are right YOU should keep your dog on lead for your dogs sake as you don't care enough to train it, regardless of breed

Some will come back and say but my bread is different, and I'll say labs and goldens also hold SchH titles.

Nope it's up to you.
Training takes time, months to years, not just a one time 4 minute session in the back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs