Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:59 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,781,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I cannot imagine someone letting a chihuahua run loose as much as those dogs cost well one day it wont come back someone will pick it up cause I have ppl eyeballing my dogs everyday and I smile and say hello and they say oh they are so cute , well yes they are cute but they are also an exspensive breed as well . Never in a million years would I let my babys run loose .
When ppl ask me about Bella, I don't tell them that I paid alot for her or how great her breeding is....I tell them she's a mutt I got from the pound.

Yes I let her off leash in the yard. I didn't when she was a pup but now I even leave the front door open and she just lays in the doorway or on the front porch watching the world go by. Ben was the same way. I do live in a rural area so not much going on. They just love their Momma and don't have any interest is exploring without me.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:21 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,179,145 times
All dogs "hunt".
All dogs are "predators."
All dogs "run."

If he is a "tool" you should have complete control over your dog at all times.

I have found that they are better tools, if they are pets.

If you can train your dog to beg from you, you can train your dog to walk off lead or to stay in your yard supervised or not no matter their quirks or breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Rip is bred to run and hunt.

He is a predator by breeding.

He is also not a pet, he is a hunting tool.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
All dogs "hunt".
All dogs are "predators."
All dogs "run."

If he is a "tool" you should have complete control over your dog at all times.

I have found that they are better tools, if they are pets.

If you can train your dog to beg from you, you can train your dog to walk off lead or to stay in your yard supervised or not no matter their quirks or breed.
Rip will not beg.

In fact if he has been on a "hot" track, he will not eat for a few days.

Rip has been to very knowledgeable trainers and they all say the only answer to his running off is keep him controlled.

In fact, the trainers are not real interested how well he leads.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:47 AM

909 posts, read 3,366,047 times
Quote:
Rip will not beg.

In fact if he has been on a "hot" track, he will not eat for a few days.

Rip has been to very knowledgeable trainers and they all say the only answer to his running off is keep him controlled.

In fact, the trainers are not real interested how well he leads.
Driller, didn't you post earlier in another of my threads that Rip runs several miles next to your truck each day? What happens then? Is he leashed to your truck, or is that the one of the few if any times he is unleashed?

Old 05-18-2011, 11:53 AM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Never. Ever.

My pup is way too curious to be off a leash.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,837,126 times
I live in an urban area & let my American Bulldog out unleashed to go potty all the time, he never leaves the yard, even when people are walking by on the sidewalk.

On the other hand, I never let my Boston Terrier out EVER without a leash on because he will run off full speed ahead!

Courtney

Old 05-18-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
Driller, didn't you post earlier in another of my threads that Rip runs several miles next to your truck each day? What happens then? Is he leashed to your truck, or is that the one of the few if any times he is unleashed?
Yes, he is leashed to the truck.

Here is some pictures from this winter.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...six-miles.html

BTW, Rip runs seven miles now.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:20 PM

Rip is laying by my feet as I post this.

He is just learning to be in the house.

It has been a long journey.

I am learning how different dogs are.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 PM

426 posts, read 1,571,952 times
I let my dog off leash on my property, and when hiking. She's a serious Velcro dog though. She always makes sure she knows where *I* am. When my roommate takes her out, she has to stay on the leash, because while she's got a great recall, another dog could spook her and cause her to run off. With me, I'm confident that I could recall her or give her a drop or wait command in any situation...besides which if she's spooked, she runs to me anyway.

I do live in a quiet neighborhood, though. In busy areas, she's either on leash or on a strict heel command and I'm watching her like a hawk. I prefer the leash in that case. Attention heeling is tiring for *me.*

Quote:
ReturningWest: I do have a GF who lives in a subdivison and she doesn't have a fenced yard, but she goes out with her dog for potty, but and this is a big but, her dog is an obedience champion sheltie and her re-call is 100% and the dog is older and well bonded with her and would prefer her company vs chasing anything.
That could pretty well describe us also. Mine's not an obedience champ (yet!) but she is part sheltie and prefers my company to anything. And she's under great vocal control, for me at least...others have to keep her on leash (my rule.)

With a dog that didn't worship me so much , I'd make sure to take it through a training program to get off-leash reliability first. The long line is a good idea, and then you can use a light line that the dog can't feel the drag of. So he thinks there's no leash on...then you gradually shorten the light line, a foot or so at a time, until you don't need it any more.

I'd still use the leash near a busy road though.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Yes, he is leashed to the truck.

Here is some pictures from this winter.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...six-miles.html

BTW, Rip runs seven miles now.
OMG! That's abuse! Seriously, how could you not know that? I'm shocked! Just totally shocked!

Forcing an animal to keep up with machinery, or even a bicycle, is abuse. You could kill your dog!

Why aren't you out running with him? Why would you make him run further than you can run yourself?

What you're doing to him just to win a dog competition is no better than people owning dogs for dog fighting.

This is insane! I've always respected your posts in other forums. Please tell me that you will stop tying your dog to your truck!

(I'm even more shocked that not one member pointed this out in your other thread!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs