Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:37 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,206,461 times

Advertisements

Just be aware that "behaviourist" is an unregulated term in most or perhaps all states....in other words, anyone can hang out a shingle and call themself a dog behaviourist or whatever. There is no standard....and there are plenty of charlatans and inept people - this includes some of the franchise owners, such as BarkBusters.

Not to say there aren't plenty of really, really great people doing this sort of thing (there are), but buyer beware. Personally I would look for someone who can demonstrate extensive and proven experience, or someone who has put multiple high-level titles on dogs (CGCs and basic obedience titles don't count), or has otherwise proven themselves to be dog-savvy and experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,326,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Just be aware that "behaviourist" is an unregulated term in most or perhaps all states....in other words, anyone can hang out a shingle and call themself a dog behaviourist or whatever. There is no standard....and there are plenty of charlatans and inept people - this includes some of the franchise owners, such as BarkBusters.

Not to say there aren't plenty of really, really great people doing this sort of thing (there are), but buyer beware. Personally I would look for someone who can demonstrate extensive and proven experience, or someone who has put multiple high-level titles on dogs (CGCs and basic obedience titles don't count), or has otherwise proven themselves to be dog-savvy and experienced.
If a no-kill shelter recommends a behaviorist, I think it's a safe bet they know what they're doing.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:44 PM

The tethering thing really works, although it can be inconvenient!

I raised my first Rottweiler as an adult following the original Monks of New Skete guidelines, and he turned out amazing. With a few modifications towards positive/clicker type training,, I haven't diverged much from that type of training in 30+ years, because I've found it works well. Part of the theory behind that is you build a very strong bond with the dog - military dog training is similar - because the dog regards you as pretty much the be all and end all of everything good in its life. And on the flip side, you're always there to give a fast and scary correction for unwanted behaviour.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If a no-kill shelter recommends a behaviorist, I think it's a safe bet they know what they're doing.
Possibly, that's what I meant about proven. It sounds like you done good.

I was thinking more of some of the flyers and ads I've seen at pet stores or on craigslist for people calling themselves "behaviourists." I am pretty hooked into the dog community where I live and trust me, there are some charlatans out there!

Old 05-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
The tethering thing really works, although it can be inconvenient!
The tethering does really work. It's inconvenient, but I found I didn't need to do it 24/7. It's not a big deal when they are tethered to the furniture where you are sitting. It's important for the OP to understand that the purpose of tethering is to tether the dog RIGHT NEXT TO HER, not on the other side of the room, and to take the tethered dog wherever she goes in the house.

The other thing that worked was straddling the dog into submission by being on your hands and knees over the dog and not letting the dog up until it submits. You can't let them win. LOL I'd do that a few times per day on my Lab when he was a puppy.

My Lab was quite the handful when he was a puppy. But he learned to obey me so well once I took training to a whole new level. He adores my hubby, but I am the one he trusts completely and looks to for guidance and protection.

For example, now that he's old and weak, he won't go outside without me with him. He will stand on the patio until I come out too. While we're outside, he is constantly checking where I'm at---making sure I'm nearby for his safety and looking for hand signals from me. He will go outside with hubby, but he will go directly to the door as soon as he's done because he doesn't feel like hubby will protect him like I will.

I can't remember the name of the author I followed for most of my training. It was a dog centered type training---you know, where you act like you're a canine mother. I even bit him once or twice (of course, I didn't chomp down! LOL) And the grabbing by the scruff of the neck, like a mother will do her pups. I trained him to poop and pee on command. People think that's super cool and it's actually easy to do!

He is fully trained to verbal and visual commands but I use mostly visual commands. I'm glad I chose to do that because I know my dogs will easily understand me if they lose their hearing.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:00 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,846,921 times
Quote:
J
What type of high-level titles would one look for?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Possibly, that's what I meant about proven. It sounds like you done good.
It got the behaviorist when he was about 7 years old. He suddenly started showing aggression by growling and grabbing his chews whenever my son would walk into the room. I decided that was severe enough of a problem to not handle on my own. (I was successful with the other training by using books.) The behaviorist identified he was doing this because my son once took his chew as a punishment. (I didn't know that happened until the behaviorist "interviewed" the family during her evaluation.) She told us to have our son start being the one who feeds the dogs his meals. She said he needed to view our son as higher in the pecking order by feeding him and also view our son as "the giver of good things" not the "taker away of good things." I'm telling you, her advice worked IMMEDIATELY. Never had a problem with that again. It's amazing how quickly a dog can be trained when the proper methods are identified for the specific dog and specific owner situation. Sometimes owners make things worse, like my son did by punishing him by removing his chew.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
What type of high-level titles would one look for?
Champion titles of any kind, AKC open or utility obedience- there are so many venues and registries it's hard to be specific...basically anything beyond very basic titles that almost anyone can put on a dog after a few obedience classes.

I don't mean for that to sound snobby, and many excellent trainers have never put titles on dogs; probably there are people who have who are lousy trainers so I'km not saying that's the only criterion.

I guess my point was, don't be impressed by someone whose only claim to fame is a CD/CGC or other low-level title. They are very easy to get. Someone who has put forth the considerable effort and expense to put advanced or champion titles of any sort (herding, obedience, tracking, agility, hunting, etc) on one or more dogs has by definition spent a lot of time in classes and working on their skills.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Oh good for you recognising the problem! And it sounds like you got a smart person, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It got the behaviorist when he was about 7 years old. He suddenly started showing aggression by growling and grabbing his chews whenever my son would walk into the room. I decided that was severe enough of a problem to not handle on my own. (I was successful with the other training by using books.) The behaviorist identified he was doing this because my son once took his chew as a punishment. (I didn't know that happened until the behaviorist "interviewed" the family during her evaluation.) She told us to have our son start being the one who feeds the dogs his meals. She said he needed to view our son as higher in the pecking order by feeding him and also view our son as "the giver of good things" not the "taker away of good things." I'm telling you, her advice worked IMMEDIATELY. Never had a problem with that again. It's amazing how quickly a dog can be trained when the proper methods are identified for the specific dog and specific owner situation. Sometimes owners make things worse, like my son did by punishing him by removing his chew.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Champion titles of any kind, AKC open or utility obedience- there are so many venues and registries it's hard to be specific...basically anything beyond very basic titles that almost anyone can put on a dog after a few obedience classes.

I don't mean for that to sound snobby, and many excellent trainers have never put titles on dogs; probably there are people who have who are lousy trainers so I'km not saying that's the only criterion.

I guess my point was, don't be impressed by someone whose only claim to fame is a CD/CGC or other low-level title. They are very easy to get. Someone who has put forth the considerable effort and expense to put advanced or champion titles of any sort (herding, obedience, tracking, agility, hunting, etc) on one or more dogs has by definition spent a lot of time in classes and working on their skills.
But I would want more than just high level titles. I'd want recommendations too!

My reason is because some trainers, who enter dogs into competitions, keep their dogs in kennels, not inside their homes.

As a result, those trainers' high titles don't mean they'll be successful in helping a family deal with in home behavioral problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs