Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:08 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,436,566 times

Advertisements

would keep posting her photo on craigslist and run occ. ads in the local papers, offering a reward def. helps too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 03:27 PM

718 posts, read 2,081,319 times
Have you not seen CNN or 20/20 regarding all the dog nappers out there looking for purebred dogs to sell? I agree with the other poster regarding leaving your dog outside unattended for 30 minutes.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,418,885 times
UPDATE!!!!

My wife, son, and daughter went to the pet store today. We have a new dog, part of my sons Christmas. While there, they happened to look into the grooming section. My son immediately yelled out "Dale!!!"

They found our dog. Turns out the woman who picked her up brought her to shelter down the road. Somehow they adopted her out either the day of, or soon after she went missing. I called up there and asked about her, I sent pictures to them, filled out the lost dog form, went by and looked at their stock myself, nothing.

The woman said that she is separating from her husband, and couldn't give her to us today without his permission, because he took the dog. He does not want to give her back, at least that is his initial reaction. I am going to give him a night to sleep on it, and call him tomorrow. I'll refund him all of his adoption money, but I honestly don't know if he'll let us have her back. I also don't know, in fact doubt, that the county will intervene on my behalf. We do have her tattooed when she was fixed, so we can verify she is our dog.

Not to mention she went nuts when she saw my son today, and bolted across the store to get to him.

I really hope this works out where we can get her back. He doesn't have kids though, and he may be very attached to her.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,119,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
UPDATE!!!!

My wife, son, and daughter went to the pet store today. We have a new dog, part of my sons Christmas. While there, they happened to look into the grooming section. My son immediately yelled out "Dale!!!"

They found our dog. Turns out the woman who picked her up brought her to shelter down the road. Somehow they adopted her out either the day of, or soon after she went missing. I called up there and asked about her, I sent pictures to them, filled out the lost dog form, went by and looked at their stock myself, nothing.

The woman said that she is separating from her husband, and couldn't give her to us today without his permission, because he took the dog. He does not want to give her back, at least that is his initial reaction. I am going to give him a night to sleep on it, and call him tomorrow. I'll refund him all of his adoption money, but I honestly don't know if he'll let us have her back. I also don't know, in fact doubt, that the county will intervene on my behalf. We do have her tattooed when she was fixed, so we can verify she is our dog.

Not to mention she went nuts when she saw my son today, and bolted across the store to get to him.

I really hope this works out where we can get her back. He doesn't have kids though, and he may be very attached to her.

Excuse me but if that were my dog he would have no choice and I would be going over to their home with a deputy or a county sheriff . You can prove she is your dog . He cannot keep her , he has no choice . Go get your dog !!!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:37 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,069,961 times
After 6 months that is amazing. I agree with phonelady61, that is your dog, you have proof, go get your pup back. By the reaction she gave your son, she wants you back too.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,881,196 times
id be torn, this guy didnt steal her, the shelters the one that screwed up...
but at the same time id want my dog back and would do whatever it takes...

unfortunatly i whent through soemthing similar with my cat, turned out despite me calling stopping by ect they had her the entire time just didnt want to tell me because they asumed since she got out i must be a terrible owner who doesnt deserve a cat.

i HATE shelters that dont follow protocal...there are laws stating animals must be held for a certain amount of time for a reason...
glad you found your pup...i hope things work out painlessly

Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 PM

511 posts, read 2,201,159 times
Foxy, I too have had a similar situation with a shelter. Some seem to take it upon themselves to decide who is worthy of animal ownership, and don't take into account that accidents/mistakes happen, and pets occasionally get out despite the owners best efforts.

Memphis, good luck to you. I don't want to be a downer, but because your dog has been processed through and adopted out of the shelter, the new owner has no LEGAL obligation to give the dog back. Legally, he is the dog's "rightful" owner. I hope he dose the truly right thing, and reunites your family with your lost companion.

I know if it were my dog, I would beg plead borrow & steal to get him back. That may be wrong, but it's what I'd do. My dog is my dog and that's it & I would not care if the "law" was not on my side.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,446,135 times
That's terrible behavior by a shelter, except under unusual circumstances. If accidents didn't happen, they wouldn't have invented microchips, would they?

Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,881,196 times
unfortunatly some shelters dont even bother checking for microchips...
I was told flat out by the shelter staff that they "usually dont bother" scanning for a chip...and that even lost and found posters on their OWN message boards are typically not checked because there "too busy"

While the person who adopted this dog is not at fault, the shelter certianly is and i beive if this did take a turn for the legal there would eb a good case if that town has rules re how long they have to keep a dog ect...
if the rule is they have to hold a dog for 48 hours before placing it for adoption and this dog was placed for adoption after 12-24 that would be a good legal stand point.
shelters are supposed to give an owner enough time to find their pet...
unfortunatly they dnt always co-operate...

Old 12-17-2011, 09:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
Memphis! It's amazing! After 6 months!

I hope he give her back. If he doesn't, it has to be somewhat reassuring to know that she's in a good home, not fighting dog bait.

Keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs