Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,757 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am wondering if someone could provide some insight. I noticed that my dog is starting to show some gray hairs on his chin --- he is a 10 lb Papillon/Chihuahua mix that is about 3.5 years old now. Is this typically the time when dogs start to show gray hair? Does it mean anything (stress? accelerated aging?).

I don't think he lives a stressful life (aside from some of the separation anxiety he has --- which has calmed down tremendously since puppyhood). I take him out for as much exercise as possible (walk and play time), weather permitting. And as far as I know he sleeps most of the day when I am gone. But I do know he plays as evidenced by his toys and bed sprawled around the room when I get home.

Should I be concerned about gray hairs at his age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
I wouldn't be....just like people, some dogs get gray hairs early in life, some later or even never.

I had a foster Rottweiler x Chow and at 2-3 years old, he looked much older because his muzzle was so gray already. I also have had Rottweilers who went gray early but outlived ones who never had a single gray hair....

This is assuming your dog doesn't have a skin/autoimmune thing going on (like vitiligo - your vet is the one who can give you a hands-on assessment if you're concerned) and he eats a decent diet, preferably not out of plastic bowls. I bet he is fine and it's just normal coloration or early gray hair and not a big deal.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,738 times
I agree with the previous poster. My Boston Terrier female started getting grey on her face, feet and butt around 5 years of age. My other Boston will be six in August and doesn't have even one grey hair...it's genetics.

I turned almost 100% grey while in high school.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:37 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Hi all,

I am wondering if someone could provide some insight. I noticed that my dog is starting to show some gray hairs on his chin --- he is a 10 lb Papillon/Chihuahua mix that is about 3.5 years old now. Is this typically the time when dogs start to show gray hair? Does it mean anything (stress? accelerated aging?).

I don't think he lives a stressful life (aside from some of the separation anxiety he has --- which has calmed down tremendously since puppyhood). I take him out for as much exercise as possible (walk and play time), weather permitting. And as far as I know he sleeps most of the day when I am gone. But I do know he plays as evidenced by his toys and bed sprawled around the room when I get home.

Should I be concerned about gray hairs at his age?
I have a 2 y/o hound that has some gray on her chin and a 13 y/o lab mix that doesn't have one gray hair on his body. Gray hair on dogs has nothing to do with environment (i.e. "stress") and everything to do with genetics. Stop worrying! Your dog is fine.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
I also think breeds have something to do with it as I have noticed many sighthounds get gray young and Dazzle who will be 3 in August already has alot of gray on his face making him look like an old boy..that was one thing I did not like about the breed as I noticed it when I was looking at the breed. But that is just the way it is with them and he is still my handsome guy!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM

725 posts, read 3,013,757 times
Thanks all for the helpful insight!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 AM

398 posts, read 983,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I also think breeds have something to do with it
Yep, my 3+ month old schnoodle has some grey/white hairs popping up here and there. Schnoodles are known to change their coat/colors/grey-out through the puppy years.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 PM

21 posts, read 59,822 times
Try some Just for Dogs...

Old 06-21-2011, 06:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePointYouMissedMe View Post
Try some Just for Dogs...

Hey if you got some Dazzle wants to try it

Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,488 times
I don't think there is any reason to be concerned, but you could always run it by the vet next time you're there. Both of my dogs have quite a bit of gray.

Luckily Lanie doesn't have a sense of self-awareness when she glimpses herself in a mirror, so she'll never know she's going gray unless we tell her She was already pretty gray on the face when we got her when she was approx. age 7.

Odie has been getting more gray on his face since the time he was 6 or 7 I think. He is 11 now looks more distinguished

Dash - tell Dazzle the older ladies like a little bit of salt and pepper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs