Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:13 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,378,220 times

Advertisements

Since I do not know how long from point a to b here a a few tips. You asked about noise disterbing others...bring him a chewy that is safe to pacify him. NO squeeky toys! [Put them in you baggage] If he is paper trained take puppy pads. When you got to go you got to go! & perhaps some ziplock bags. I hear all the time about liquids on planes..ALL liquids that you can carry on should be water for him. & of course a bowl & food.
Now here is my last tip RELAX if you a stressed he will be to so have fun & tellus all about it when you get back [pic please,too]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 04:31 PM

153 posts, read 638,189 times
Hi there, no worries! As for the vet document you need, yes the health certificate is the paper from the vet that shows that his shots are up to date. It's just a slip that the vet checks off which shots he has (rabies, 5 in 1, etc). The vet will also keep a copy.

As for carrier, the one I favor came from the good people at Trixie and Peanut (I know they get weird about posting other websites, but I'll try- it's called trixieandpeanut.com). They have awesome stuff for small dogs and the carrier I have looks like a black, nylon purse. You honestky can't tell there's an animal in there and my traviling dog is 15 pounds! The bag you buy doesn't need to have a hard, structured bottom or sides. My guys tend to like the soft bags and it makes it easier to be incognito and they're easier to carry for you (they won't cut into your side or hip while you carry the bag on your shoulder). Softer handles are great because they won't cut into your hands and trust me, those little guys get HEAVY after carrying through airports and such. Oh, and there's a fantastic small bags with wheels on that website. That bag saved my life in JFK airport last year.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:46 PM

153 posts, read 638,189 times
Oh, I forgot. Please, for the love of Pete, do not try to sneak him into a hotel. He's a MinPin? He probably barks? The staff WILL find out and you will be kicked out and that is such a bad feeling. It's also not fair for the maids who will have to clean up any messes should there be any. My guys are trained to go "potty" in the bathroom at home because I live in a high-rise, therefore they go in the bathroom on the road. Your guy may take some adjustment (new surroundings, plane ride, etc). I wouldn't want you to be tense trying to keep him quiet. I've had good experiences with some of the Choice Hotels (Quality Inn, Comfort Suites) and La Quinta. Call first because "pet friendly" is not chain-wide.

Also, please please please don't give him anything to calm him down because it can be dangerous. Your dog will have a natural response to the stress of travel. To alter that natural response will make his body unable to regulate itself in the air. He needs to be able to regulate his breathing and heart rate. Giving him a sedative, even a mild one will interfere with his body's functioning and could make him too sedate. It's just not necessary and your vet will probably say the same thing.

Oh, (last thing, I swear), I wouldn't worry about him tearing the mesh from any bag you get. They all some kind of mesh and he'd have to be a wild beast to really do some damage. He'll be too busy wondering what he's doing in this bag around all these new people!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:40 PM

389 posts, read 3,541,246 times
I agree, I would not try to sneak into a hotel. I have traveled with my dogs ALOT and have always just accepted the fact that I will pay the $10 or whatever...some hotels I have stayed at will either only charge me for one of my two or waive the fee completely if they both put on their "we're so cute, and we love you and are so happy to see you" routine

The hotels/motels I have stayed at that have been acceptable if not nice are Super 8, Motel 6, Quality Inn, La Quinta, and a Baymont. The La Quinta was nice and didn't charge me for my pets and I have stayed at the same Quality Inn in TN and he has charged me for only one pet each time and usually lowers the room rate too, so that makes up for the extra.

As for the carrying on of liquids that was mentioned, you're best bet and easiest is to just buy a bottle of water once you go through security. Why hassle with TSA screeners when you can just go around it that way?

Good Luck and have a safe trip!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:18 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,378,220 times
Bring the water from home some thing he is use to, do not need upset tummy mid trip!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:45 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,717,363 times
comfort inn and sleep inn are pet friendly, if you have aaa you do get a dis count.aarp if you are old or have a friend?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:55 PM

Yes I did have 2 so called cute dogs, the sleep in, and comfort, with the aaa, and aarp I do think oh how cute! 10.00 per one dog, as I had 2, I think the Adorabile Bichon, just did say! She did pick her bed, and! the aussie and I did share one bed. If only to be the loved, and Bichon Frise, that does decide
anyway, I did hold her on 6-21-07- when she said off to rainbow bridge!
she also was 14 years and 3 months.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:12 PM

yes, I miss her, however, I do think, her job, is yikes, teaching wayward puppies, and dogs? lady and the tramp! And maybe working on the heaven dog movie, with, Angel, the Bichon? No, Angel, I will not fund this!
now what?

Old 12-06-2007, 12:27 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,723,278 times
Thank you everyone who replied to my post back in August. Lalagongaga, I spoke to my Vet and she told me there is nothing wrong with giving him a sedative. I was surprised and asked about the health risks and she acted as if she never heard of any. I would never sneak him into a hotel. Not only would it be unethical, but I could never get away with it as he's very vocal.

The AAA and hotel suggestions are appreciated, as I wouldn't mind getting a discount since the pet deposits are somewhat high.

Unfortunately, due to work issues my plans to travel got delayed so I am going to be flying with my little doggie within the next month or so. I have already purchased the travel bag that is the size American Airlines requires for taking a pet in Coach, but I still have a small problem....he seems to now like to bark at almost everyone, until they approach him and he can smell them, then he's happy, until they leave.

The receptionist in my Vets office demands that I remove my dog to the outside because she can't stand his loud crying (I think it could be due to issues from being put in the pound by his previous owner). I worry that I could be kicked off the plane or forced out of the airport by security because he'll make everyone angry!

Dare I try Benadryl to make him sleepy (it was suggested to me elsewhere as being safer)?

Any helpful thoughts to calm me down (maybe I need some Benadryl?) would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ITChick; 12-06-2007 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,564,272 times
Never use over the counter human meds unless vet-advised. I got a brow-beating from my vet when she found out I had given our SAdie Marie a children's tylenol. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs