Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 PM

861 posts, read 1,128,798 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about getting a puppy and want to know how high maintenance they are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:25 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,063,633 times
get a rescue puppy from a shelter. They come already fixed and up to date on shots.

Don't ever buy from dealers or pet stores. never ever ever

Old 09-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
get a rescue puppy from a shelter. They come already fixed and up to date on shots.

Don't ever buy from dealers or pet stores. never ever ever
may I ask why?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:37 PM

And can you also tell me which breed is the best?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
may I ask why?
Yes I can give you many reasons why

1. Puppy Mills treat moms horribly- they are birth machines and are not given proper care

2. Cheaper- Rescue pupies are a fraction of the cost for the same darn dog

3. health- Rescue puppies are checked for health problems, store pupies because they are not treated properly are plagued with diseases.

it will cost you a lot in vet bills if you buy from a breeder because of the poor care given to puppies and the moms.

breeders shoot puppies with fleas or other illnesses because it is cheaper to do away with the pupies than to treat the illness or the fleas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
And can you also tell me which breed is the best?
as for the breed it depends on you. There is no best breed

I love Shih tzu's and Maltese. I love Bichons too but they are high maintenance.

go to a shelter I bet you will fall in love with 60 dogs. You might want to get a bigger house

Old 09-05-2011, 08:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,481,097 times
Review your lifestyle. Have you ever had a dog? Do you have a predictable schedule, and are home enough hours of the day to properly train, exercise, and relieve your dog? Do you know what type of dog you want? Puppies are alot of work, and require more time to train, their bladders are smaller, and they need frequent potty breaks in the day. Maybe an older dog, from the shelter is better for your lifestyle, consider this prior to getting a puppy. Also, where do you live? I don't recommend anyone getting a puppy with winter coming if you live in the North. Nothing worse than housebreaking a reluctant puppy when it is 10 degrees outside. Think about getting one in the Spring...

Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,657,277 times
Yes a dog is the best friend and companion, for life. make sure you have time to spend with him. I thank god for my dogs every ay, they will never betray, and always love u

Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yes I can give you many reasons why

1. Puppy Mills treat moms horribly- they are birth machines and are not given proper care

2. Cheaper- Rescue pupies are a fraction of the cost for the same darn dog

3. health- Rescue puppies are checked for health problems, store pupies because they are not treated properly are plagued with diseases.

it will cost you a lot in vet bills if you buy from a breeder because of the poor care given to puppies and the moms.

breeders shoot puppies with fleas or other illnesses because it is cheaper to do away with the pupies than to treat the illness or the fleas.

as for the breed it depends on you. There is no best breed

I love Shih tzu's and Maltese. I love Bichons too but they are high maintenance.

go to a shelter I bet you will fall in love with 60 dogs. You might want to get a bigger house
Thanks for the info! I want a dalmatian but can't find any shelters that have them, I found one but it is all the way in FL do you think it's legit?

Dalmatian Rescue of North Miami Beach FL

Old 09-05-2011, 08:56 PM

was studying for exams when I house broke my dogs, so thankfully i was out from work. I didn't kennel train my dogs, cause I tried the kennel and didn't like it much so I thought the dogs won't like it either.

I took the dogs out every two hours in the day and every 4 at night. And when I say every two I mean every two.

I also took them out right before meals and half an hour after.

Dogs also need to be walked, and to be socialized. Then there is training, grooming and loving.

It is just not right if you don't spend multiple times a day rubbing their bellies.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Review your lifestyle. Have you ever had a dog? Do you have a predictable schedule, and are home enough hours of the day to properly train, exercise, and relieve your dog? Do you know what type of dog you want? Puppies are alot of work, and require more time to train, their bladders are smaller, and they need frequent potty breaks in the day. Maybe an older dog, from the shelter is better for your lifestyle, consider this prior to getting a puppy. Also, where do you live? I don't recommend anyone getting a puppy with winter coming if you live in the North. Nothing worse than housebreaking a reluctant puppy when it is 10 degrees outside. Think about getting one in the Spring...
Thanks for responding! I am a college student and work part-time (less than 30 hrs) so I will be home enough to be train,feed, clean and etc. Are there day-cares for dogs? I would hate to leave my puppy alone while i'm out.. Yes, I want a dalmatian but the shelters near me don't have any, I thinking about getting one out of state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs