Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM

861 posts, read 1,125,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It is imperative that you buy quality food. The brands like Pedigree and Purina and stuff are name brands but they are not QUALITY food.

In fact the quality brands are probably brands you never heard off.

Mine cost me about 50 bucks a bag but one lasts my Boxer about 6 weeks.
buying cheaper food costs you in the long run because it is mainly filler that the dog poos out and thus you need to consistently feed more. also feeding healthier food will save you on vet bills.

plus there are monthly treatments, yearly shots, flea treatments, vet check ups, dog insurance, some cities require licenses,

in all I would say about 75to 100 bucks a month.

For me I spoil mine so they get fancy hair cuts and doggie clothes, over priced treats and toys.

Thanks for the helpful info! and thanks for introducing me to pet finder I found some dals in my area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:12 PM

244 posts, read 1,228,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Don't ever buy from dealers or pet stores. never ever ever
I bought my puppy from a pet store and he has been the greatest. No diseases or anything. He is now 8 yrs old. We also have an Aussie Shep that we got from a lady on a farm and he has also been great. I think spending time w/them will make a big difference. Have fun!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
It costs alot of money to get a dog, all the stuff a dog needs, the vet bills, you are looking at least about $200 for start up. That is without the cost of the dog. Then, you will put alot of time into this dog. I just hate for you to put all this money, and time into a dog, if you can't make a commitment for at least 10 to 12 years on this dog. It would be very sad for you to have to give this dog up, because you had to move, or got a job that required travel. Yes, people can manage dogs...moving and travelling...but it is probably better for you to wait until you graduate, have a steady job...just think about it, because your life will have a lot of changes in the next few years...

Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,976,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannewright View Post
I bought my puppy from a pet store and he has been the greatest. No diseases or anything. He is now 8 yrs old. We also have an Aussie Shep that we got from a lady on a farm and he has also been great. I think spending time w/them will make a big difference. Have fun!
you lucked out. most are infested with worms at the least

Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
has anybody mentioned the costs of getting the dog spayed/neutered - A MUST- dental work, tests and treatment when sick, boarding when you have to be out of town. And now we learn you live with family. This should be a group discussion as a dog in the house will affect everybody. Consider why so many dogs are in shelters. have you ever been to a shelter to see homeless dogs?

I have taken several dogs to obedience classes and it is always the dalmations who drop out or are kicked out for disrupting the class.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:15 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,608,823 times
It only costs 65.00 to get a dog spayed here. Also Petsmart has many mutts that are up for adoption each weekend, its sad to see such nice dogs needing a home...I wldnt discourage a person from getting a dog just bcs they never had one before, as long as they have time to spend with him.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:49 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It costs alot of money to get a dog, all the stuff a dog needs, the vet bills, you are looking at least about $200 for start up. That is without the cost of the dog. Then, you will put alot of time into this dog. I just hate for you to put all this money, and time into a dog, if you can't make a commitment for at least 10 to 12 years on this dog. It would be very sad for you to have to give this dog up, because you had to move, or got a job that required travel. Yes, people can manage dogs...moving and travelling...but it is probably better for you to wait until you graduate, have a steady job...just think about it, because your life will have a lot of changes in the next few years...

yep .... i just spent $175 on Roxie this past Friday... for her eaximation, hw testing, shots and micro-chipping .... if it turns out she also needs to be spayed, that will be another $140 .... and she is a very small dog.... hoping hoping hoping i can talk the vet's office into "rescue rates" if it comes to that.....

Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
It only costs 65.00 to get a dog spayed here. Also Petsmart has many mutts that are up for adoption each weekend, its sad to see such nice dogs needing a home...I wldnt discourage a person from getting a dog just bcs they never had one before, as long as they have time to spend with him.
I always encourage people to adopt but ONLY if they understand what dog ownership entails. Not only does it involve time but also it involves money. Sometimes, lots and lots of money. More times than I can name, there have been posters on this forum looking for free medical advise for their critically ill dog because they "don't have the money to take it to the vet"

Pet ownership requires a commitment to do whats right for an animal. Its not something that should be undertaken lightly with the thought that if it doesn't work out, it can be returned

I encourage anyone that wants a dog to get one.... if they understand the obligation they are undertaking.

OK...off my soapbox now.....

Old 09-06-2011, 12:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,976,721 times
when you adopt you are getting a dog that has already been fixed. Can't beat that. Plus they are usually treated for fleas, and heartworm before they are adopted out

Old 09-06-2011, 01:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
That is true, I got Jasper on Craigslist, best DEAL ever!! A pure bred Bengal cat, normally he would have cost about $600 or $700 as a kitten, he had his shots ($70), nuetered ($150), all for $20!!!!

So, getting a dog off of CL is a really great deal!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs