Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,136,478 times

Advertisements

maybe it's been mentioned before but don't get a Jack Russell.

I agree that you should try for an adult who maybe has been fostered in a home with cats. Foster parents will tell you about how the dog gets along with cats. We have adopted grown Bichons and both loved our cats. And strangely enough they had not ever been around cats, that we know of.

But if you look on adoption sights most will tell you if the dog gets along with cats or even kids for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 02:22 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,333,758 times
I second, third, and fourth the suggestion of getting a young adult off of petfinder... preferably one that is currently being fostered in a home. You'll be able to ask all sorts of questions about temperment and personality. Puppies are a crapton of work. You couldn't pay me enough money to take on a puppy, even as a foster! But, that's me. Good luck with w/e you decide.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:12 PM

66 posts, read 161,760 times
If you are new to dogs, I must agree with what most here have said: you'll make a better choice finding an adult dog that is already used to cats.

Of course you can have a puppy and train him, BUT, this takes a lot of time, tons of patience, temperament and love.

I've got 2 cats and 10 dogs right now. My dogs vary from a 65lb American Bully to a 2lb Chihuahua. One of those dogs is a kind of Spanish Terrier that descends from Jack Russell Terrier, came to my house 1 week ago and never behaved to cats, and now he does.

Where's the point at what I'm saying? That you could make a great choice or a terrible one. IMHO, these are the breeds you should not choose if being puppy newbie:

Pugs, Chihuahua and most Terrier breeds. Why? Well, Pugs and Chihuahuas got very delicate eyes that could be easily damaged by an angry cat. Terriers would drive your cats nuts as they've got a lot of energy inside that needs to be calmed by doing exercise.

"Worst" age for a puppy stays between 4 - 14 months. Here is when you've got to be more careful, assertive, calm, patient and nice to them to get an ideal adult dog.

Even with a "lazy" breed, you will have to deal with that certain age, please be aware of that as it depends on this to have an equilibrated adult or an annoying dog.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,874,874 times
i have 3 chihuahuas who happily live with a cat who is, by definaition bi-polar! they learnt right quick to stay away from him rather than the other way round.

in MY experience with doxies they are sweet (the long haired tend to be the most "relaxed" of the bunch but i agree, there not typiclaly a breed id suggest for a first time owner..they can be incredibly stubborn and are well known to be hard to train and house break (as my frined with a 6 month old doxie is learning, she passed puppy Obedience with flying colors, but getting her to "perform" outside of class is proving challenging and despite being taken out every hour...she is still not housebroken.
its not that there stupid or bad dogs, just that even the minis were bred to have a very specific attitude.
the other concern with doxies is their backs, even standards are VERY delicate in the spine and do NOT do well with stairs...
and ive never met an "easy going" daschund lol...ive met many, and there all a little tightly wound lol. they are also hunting dogs with quite a strong preydrive...

ive also known many a doxie outsmart even the wiliest owner, one of which learnt how to open the kitchen drawers just right so she could use them as steps to get onto the kitchen counter...

you live in the city, im assuming an aprtment, ok with longer hair but im assuming want a low grooming/lower shedding dog, have a child and want an "easy going" dog...
i would definatly suggest a WELL BRED cavlier king charles spaneil, a WELL BRED cocker spaniel (i prefer english to amerian especially when kids are involved), pembroke welsh corgi, scottish terrier, skye terrier (the only 2 terrier breeds id ever suggest for a "new" owner) or a sussex spaniel,
all are small-medium breeds, sturdy enough to play with a kid, but not so big they wouldnt be comfortable in a city apartment or smal home.
youll notice there alot of spaniels on that list, unfortunatly cockers in particular have gotten a bad rap over the years due to bad breeding practices, but if you put the time and effort into finding a good one (either breeder or rescue) ive yet to meet a breed better for a small family with limited space. i grew up with a cocker, my sister learnt to walk with one...we coule climb on her, tug on her pull her ear and never a peep and heaven help anyone who came neer one of us with a bad intention. our current cocker is an english x amrican puppymill rescue and hes sweet as a teddy bear, he puts up with the antics of a cat and 3 chihuahuas, who steal his food his toys and yell at him...the cat even puchses him off his own bed...
not what id call "smart" hes not a problem solver, he is however eager to please and a quick learner (he was housebroken withint 24 hours of bringing him home and knows all kinds of tricks, but still hasnt realized that he can push open the door if its not shut properly lol.

since your in the ciity you have many wondefull oportunities, NY is the host each year to one of the biggest dog shows ever and it is open to the public...keep an eye out for westminister (i belive its in february) and go take the behind the scenese, breeders of every akc breed imaginable will be there with magnificent examples of their breeds, as will many rescue centers and ive yet to meet anyone at a dog show whos not wiling to talk shop about thier breed, go, if you see a breed that appeals to you ask questions, are they good with kids, what kind of prey drieve, how trianable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs