Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times

Advertisements

She is 6 months old and about 17 to 20 lbs. Any idea as to what mix of breeds she may be? I currently have a 100 lb Lab-Rottie mix who loves other dogs and I'm looking for a playmate for her. I don't want another big dog, but I think one that's too small might not be a good choice, as I hope to be able to walk them together, and although my dog is really friendly and gentle, she tends to be a bit clumsy. I'm afraid she might hurt a little dog by mistake just due to her size and weight.

I'm told this dog is great with other pets (I also have a cat), and she needs a good home. How big do you think she will get?
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of adopting this little girl...-dog.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
She's adorable. She might not get much bigger, her paws look tiny.

The only thing about the size difference is that sometimes it doesn't work well if your dog likes to play rough. I have a lab catahoula mix and she can't play with my sister's mini schnauzer because she puts the schnauzer's entire head inside her mouth, holds on gently, then lifts and shakes.

On the other hand, my neighbor has a 100 lb dog and a 15 lb dog and they're the best of buddies.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
At that age, there can certainly be a lot of growth ahead of her. I do think her paws look tiny because of the angle of the photo. I think her facial markings/eyebrows are those of larger breeds (shepherd, etc.). Thanks so for adopting!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Can you take a pic more at her level?

Old 01-19-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Can you take a pic more at her level?
I am supposed to pick her up this afternoon and bring her here to meet my dog on our "turf". I'll try to post another photo then.

Thanks to all for the comments!

Old 01-19-2012, 05:42 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
i have 2 big dogs (65 -70 lbs) and 2 little dogs (~20 lbs) in my household..... they play very well together.... i can see the big dogs deliberately being gentle with the little dogs when it is game on and zoomies commence.....

that said..... each situation and dog is different.... good luck with your meet n greet today!! hope it works to the benefit of all.....

and yes, more pictures would be helpful and appreciated!!

Old 01-19-2012, 05:52 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Good luck to you all!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
Good luck, she sure is a cutie! I hope all goes well with the meet!

Old 01-21-2012, 06:46 AM

Well - she's here! But I'm having problems uploading an image - sorry. My phone camera is crappy and the dog won't sit still. I finally got a decent picture, and now City-Data is not allowing me to upload it because the image is the wrong size. I obviously don't know what I'm doing.

Anyway, now I have another question. The first day here, Rosie (that's what we decided to name her) and Gracie got along famously - I couldn't have wished for better. Gracie seemed like she was having a ball with this new little playmate - they chased each other around the yard and shared toys; everything was perfect. But by that evening, Gracie was giving me looks that seemed to say "well, that was fun, but when is she leaving?" By day 2, Gracie was beginning to act as though she was getting tired of dealing with this new little bundle of energy. But my biggest concern is that she is acting submissive to Rosie - avoiding eye contact and slinking away from her with her tail between her legs - and even allowing Rosie to grab snacks right out of her mouth.

This is worrying me...overnight Gracie seems like she has turned into an old lady (she is also a rescue and is about 5 years old). I am trying to reassure her that she is still loved and that the new dog isn't replacing her. I could be misreading things. I've been looking at some of the info posted on Cesar Millan and other sites, but to me it seems that she is acting very depressed. Any advice? One of the main reasons we decided to adopt a new dog was to give Gracie a companion. I had a shepherd mix when I first adopted Gracie, and that worked out great. My shepherd passed away a couple of years ago. Gracie always acted like she loved being around other dogs, so I thought it was time to get another. Now I'm having second thoughts...

(Oh...for what it's worth Rosie seems to be loving it here and is a great little dog - very affectionate and very trainable)

Old 01-21-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Well - she's here! But I'm having problems uploading an image - sorry. My phone camera is crappy and the dog won't sit still. I finally got a decent picture, and now City-Data is not allowing me to upload it because the image is the wrong size. I obviously don't know what I'm doing.
Aha! Here she is...
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of adopting this little girl...-rosie1.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs