Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Both hate being outside when they have a Huge apt to play in!! Both healthy active & get more attention than past dogs in my life that had a fenced yard!! Fenced yards mean Nothing to dogs it means More to them spending time with their people!
I do have a big yard, but I agree with you.

My lab prefers to be with us. If we're outside working in the yard, he'll enjoy laying around out there. But if we go inside, he doesn't want to be outside without us.

He hates the rain. He stands at the door and looks at us like we're crazy for wanting him to go out in the rain. He'll only go out to do his business in the rain if we go with him.

Now that he's older, he's not too found of snow either. He likes to go out and smell the yard, check the perimeter, and come right back in. Even when we're outside with him, he'll walk right to the door to go back inside.

Our basset is a different story. He loves being outside. He doesn't mind being out alone. I've never known him to want to come in on his own. But he's not out there "running around freely." He's out there slowly smelling stuff. Sometimes he'll just stand there and look at stuff.

I disagree with people who say that dogs need multiple long walks per day. I don't take my dogs for walks. When the lab was young, we'd take him to the woods and let him run and swim on the weekends. Walks? Not really, not often. If we had walked him constantly, his joints would have deteriorated years earlier from over use. Rides in the car, though, they get lots of those. They love riding in the car. LOL

All of our dogs have healthy long lives for many, many happy years. They are pampered and loved, not overweight. They love their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 03:00 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,282,446 times
My dogs have 3/4 acre under privacy fence to run in. The cocker spaniel and the holy terrier are quite happy to spend all day stalking squirrels and birds. The Shih Tzu is hard pressed to go off the deck. The Rottweilers don't care about the yard unless I'm out there, then they are all about a nice romp. The Mastiff? He'd probably be a dream in an apartment....he has potato qualities. Rather than play in the yard, he'd most likely rather me take him for a walk (he's sorta needy). Responsible owners can live most anywhere - so can happy dogs. I'm with Hopes and the others - I don't have enough time for formal walks, but I probably couldn't get a taker most days of the week.

All that being said, there are certain breeds that are more high energy than others and might need more stimulation - I think we saw this a lot when Jack Russells were the dog of choice - people got ahold of a ball of fire and were ill-prepared for the energy level a JRT can bring.

Research the breed, consider your own lifestyle, and then make a decision based on that - the cute factor aside, be realistic about who you are and what you expect from your canine companion before you dive off and get the Dog of the Hour because it was so cute at Westminster.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:47 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,427,167 times
I have a quarter-acre fenced yard in the woods and another yard area by the deck. My dogs have always run around the yard a bit (if young enough), checked things out, and then wind up on the steps back to the house. Only one, my 13-year-old terrier mix, Benny, likes to stay out. He was hoarded in a house, and he loves to lie on the deck and watch for squirrels or evil neighbors, and he loves being alone.
Still, I decided not to get dogs until I left the city and had a house and yard- it just made sense, since my condo was micro tiny and I had to sleep during the day. In fact, I left the city because I wanted dogs. There are many things in life we don't have control over, but I could make a life with dogs happen. The day I had my first adoption, I became a much happier person.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,441,787 times
You are joking, aren't you? I didn't watch the video, and don't plan to. Whatever it is, it doesn't show that people in apartments shouldn't have dogs.
Oh, and my dogs said to tell you our cats aren't stupid.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:52 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,893 times
I respectfully disagree with the opinions of animals and apartment living. Prior to moving in a house, my parents, myself, and my GREAT DANE lived in a tiny 3 bedroom apartment. Went for walks everyday and crashed he crashed in the bedroom when we got home.

Its a matter of dog breed and energy levels. The average dog owner doesn't look past cute face of that "cute puppy in the window." After the damage is done do they come to a conclusion that dogs cannot thrive in apartment living. These are the same dogs that live in houses that bark through all hours of the night, roam, or exhibit other unwanted behavior. The average owner simply doesn't know how to resolve the matter.

If owners would fufill their dog’s needs I theorize that there wouldn’t be an issue. Most are simply not dedicated I believe that there is more to caring for a dog than treats and kisses.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,981,961 times
I agree with the majority opinion that many dogs can live happily in the apartments.

As for the video, I did watch it. The owner wasn't paying attention and the leash got caught in the door with the dog outside. He was pulled up the door but the leash snapped and released him. It's very scary but it was an accident and the dog was fine. Luckily he has a thick neck. You can clearly see from the video inside the elevator that the owner was absolutely distraught. It was an accident caused by a momentary lapse in attention, nothing intentional at all.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:55 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,144,261 times
Wow, what the OP is suggesting would result in thousands of additional euthanizations every year.

Besides, my neighbor DOES have his own yard for his Pit Bull, but the poor dog is left out there all day... her increasing barks of abject boredom are heartbreaking.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,617,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Wow, what the OP is suggesting would result in thousands of additional euthanizations every year.
I am sure that the OP would love that. A few days ago he was telling people to leave their dogs unattended in cars. Let's not forget that there are people who really do hate animals. What wretched lives they must lead!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 AM

356 posts, read 830,465 times
Default You have no place in regulating whether or not i have a dog in my apartment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
Okay. I'll bite.

I can't see this video but I have a feeling of what it is. I lived in apartments for YEARS while in school and my dogs were NEVER treated horribly. I no longer do but my dogs were very well taken care of and sometimes, possibly moreso than some of the so-called more "responsible" as you say, who lived in houses with yards. I've seen and heard dogs with yards left out all day and night with no food or water. I've seen dogs with scars of abuse by their people who own yards. I've helped prosecute someone for animal abuse and guess what? They owned a yard.

My dogs adjusted very well to apartment life. They were never left alone. My neighbors were friends and would help look out for them when I deployed and whatnot. They had a strict schedule as I did. They were walked almost everyday, save for rainy days and only then did we just go down to the green communal area and right back. But even then they were happy for that. So to say that anyone living in an apartment should not own a pet is the same as saying if you don't make at LEAST 100,000 a year, you should not have a child. It's disresptful, rude, and has no basis in truth and facts.

Just sayin'
^^^ This + my story -3

People like the OP have NO place is saying how I should live my life with my pet. My (almost) 5 year old lab goes happily to the park every day visiting with his friends and a long walk any day its not raining (all 5 of them here in FL) He & I have lived in the apartment for nearly 4 years now and he is perfectly content.

Unbelievable.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,443,026 times
Oh no, I think this troll.................er, poster *ahem* is right. Let's start killing all those dogs in the shelters that these horrible apartment dwelling people are planning on adopting. You're absolutely correct. Living in an apartment with an owner that takes them for multiple walks a day and to play with other dogs at dog parks is a HORRIBLE life. Why would a human be so cruel?

You know, some days the depth of some people's ignorance truly astounds me. smh.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs