Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 PM

535 posts, read 585,628 times

Advertisements

It makes me sick thinking of all the apartment living puppies out there. If only they had their own yard to squat on, all to themselves and their brothers and sisters if their owner has more than than one dog.

There are many people that could afford to rent a house or buy a house but instead they rent or purchase an apartment/condo. These people should not own dogs. They should only be allowed to have stray cats.

Just like most people are against humans having babies if they can't provide for them, same should go for humans having dogs. If you got no yard for them, get a stupid cat.

A WARNING TO ALL DOG OWNERS (Some People Should Not Be Allowed To Have Kids) - YouTube
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I'm not looking at that video. I can't if it's torture or something super sad.

But whatever is on that video can not be representative of all dog owners who live in apartments and condos.

It's entirely possible to live in an apartment and be a responsible dog owner. I'm saying this as a homeowner with a yard.

I think it's downright ignorant to conclude apartment dwellers are incapable of being good owners just based on whatever is on that video.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 PM

581 posts, read 1,187,469 times
Okay. I'll bite.

I can't see this video but I have a feeling of what it is. I lived in apartments for YEARS while in school and my dogs were NEVER treated horribly. I no longer do but my dogs were very well taken care of and sometimes, possibly moreso than some of the so-called more "responsible" as you say, who lived in houses with yards. I've seen and heard dogs with yards left out all day and night with no food or water. I've seen dogs with scars of abuse by their people who own yards. I've helped prosecute someone for animal abuse and guess what? They owned a yard.

My dogs adjusted very well to apartment life. They were never left alone. My neighbors were friends and would help look out for them when I deployed and whatnot. They had a strict schedule as I did. They were walked almost everyday, save for rainy days and only then did we just go down to the green communal area and right back. But even then they were happy for that. So to say that anyone living in an apartment should not own a pet is the same as saying if you don't make at LEAST 100,000 a year, you should not have a child. It's disresptful, rude, and has no basis in truth and facts.

Just sayin'

Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
Okay. I'll bite.

I can't see this video but I have a feeling of what it is. I lived in apartments for YEARS while in school and my dogs were NEVER treated horribly. I no longer do but my dogs were very well taken care of and sometimes, possibly moreso than some of the so-called more "responsible" as you say, who lived in houses with yards. I've seen and heard dogs with yards left out all day and night with no food or water. I've seen dogs with scars of abuse by their people who own yards. I've helped prosecute someone for animal abuse and guess what? They owned a yard.

My dogs adjusted very well to apartment life. They were never left alone. My neighbors were friends and would help look out for them when I deployed and whatnot. They had a strict schedule as I did. They were walked almost everyday, save for rainy days and only then did we just go down to the green communal area and right back. But even then they were happy for that. So to say that anyone living in an apartment should not own a pet is the same as saying if you don't make at LEAST 100,000 a year, you should not have a child. It's disresptful, rude, and has no basis in truth and facts.

Just sayin'
totally agree. Responsible pet owners who live in apartments spend time bonding with their dog and take them walking or to dog parks.

Then there are those with houses who leave their dogs out in the heat or cold, howling or barking all darn night keeping the neighborhood up.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
Trollish yes...

But I agree people should have dogs only if they have a good place for the dogs to run free OUTSIDE. In spite of what we like to believe, dogs are animals, not humans. They need to run free and play. It helps keep them healthy. Your walk to the park twice a week from your apartment isn't good enough.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
youve never had a great dane or a greyhound or a toy breed have you?! lol, theres MANY breeds that can happily and comfortably live in an apartment assuming their human is willing to take them on a good long walk twice a day and take them somewhere (ie a dog park) where they can run offleash at least 3 times a week.

running around loose is only a TINY part of what makes up excersize for a dog, mental stimulation is even more important...
once again, like everything else these generalizations are idiotic, i know MANY happy apartment dogs, from tiny chihuahas to giant great danes...

i do agree some breeds are nOT suitable for an apartment no matter how much excersize your willing to give it...but there are many breeds who THRIVE in such settings...

people with yards can abuse it, leaving their dogs out all day unsupservised in any weather, or chaining the dogs out, ect...or they often decide because they have a yard they dont have to actually walk the dog or give it any other formal excersize....and running loose around a yard is NOT real excersize...

ANY situation can be bad for a dog...its not the house it lives in, the yard it has acess to ect..its the PERSON that owns the dog...for every bad apartment dog owner theres just as many bad house dog owners...

id rather see a dog in an apartment, happy, well loved, properly trained and taken on long walks every day and regular trips to the park ect...
than see a dog in a house with a big yard, left outside and completly ignored most of the time...

Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
It makes me sick thinking of all the apartment living puppies out there. If only they had their own yard to squat on, all to themselves and their brothers and sisters if their owner has more than than one dog.
There are many people that could afford to rent a house or buy a house but instead they rent or purchase an apartment/condo. These people should not own dogs. They should only be allowed to have stray cats.
Just like most people are against humans having babies if they can't provide for them, same should go for humans having dogs. If you got no yard for them, get a stupid cat.
You have your opinion...

Even when it's wrong...

Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
But I agree people should have dogs only if they have a good place for the dogs to run free OUTSIDE. In spite of what we like to believe, dogs are animals, not humans. They need to run free and play. It helps keep them healthy. Your walk to the park twice a week from your apartment isn't good enough.
Tell that to my peek-a-poo who lived for 22 years. Tell that to my labrador who is 16 years old.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Guess what breed is said to be one of the most suited for apartment living in Manhattan?

Spoiler
Doberman

Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I have 2 dogs in my apt 1 Corgi & 1 Papillon! Both hate being outside when they have a Huge apt to play in!! Both healthy active & get more attention than past dogs in my life that had a fenced yard!! Fenced yards mean Nothing to dogs it means More to them spending time with their people! BTW Not all Cats esp strays enjoy being cooped up in apt!! Most Want to be outside!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs