Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Guess what breed is said to be one of the most suited for apartment living in Manhattan?

Spoiler
Doberman
My SO's dad and his GF have two min pins in their Upper East Side condo...those little guys could care less if they're running freely in a park, or running freely from one end of the apt. to the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 AM

573 posts, read 1,689,635 times
I lived in a 1000 sq. foot 2 bedroom apartment years ago...it was next to two parks and one dog park that was three blocks away. I had 3 dogs while I was there. I currently own a home with a yard.

It may come as a surprise, but some of us with yards still walk our dogs and don't just throw them in the backyard. When I lived in my apartment, my dogs loved going to the dogpark in the morning and getting their evening walks around the lake at the other park.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Trollish yes...

But I agree people should have dogs only if they have a good place for the dogs to run free OUTSIDE. In spite of what we like to believe, dogs are animals, not humans. They need to run free and play. It helps keep them healthy. Your walk to the park twice a week from your apartment isn't good enough.

I was going to stay away from this whole thread as it an OP wanting to stir things up But Zembonez,I have to reply to your comment as I do live in a condo and have 2 dogs( Had 3 but Phoenix died end of last year), The dogs before the current ones were even breeds that way too may people say you can not have if you do not have a large yard . Jazz was a border collie X cattle dog and Dash was a border Collie X springer spaniel. I will tell you everyone that knew those two said " when I die I want to come back as YOUR dog" as they were very happy dogs. They went to dog parks, leash free beaches , did agility and went almost everywhere with me. Did they miss not having a yard...no way as they had a owner who spent a lot of time working and playing with them and Dogs would much rather have that then a yard! I always tell people who do not have a yard but want an active breed to first be honest with them selves as do they have the time and committment it will take to own such a dog and if the answer is yes I say go for it as I know alot of happy,healthy apartment /condo dogs.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:32 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
...as happy as he is to zoom around in the back yard, acting like the wild and crazy guy that he is, as soon as I step into the house, he's running for the door to come in with me.
My sentiments, exactly...my girls love the yard, but only if I'm in it with them...as soon as I start walking toward the door, they're right behind me, tails wagging, ready to come back inside with me .

And FWIW, I did choose to stick to having only 2 cats (no dogs) for the years I spent living in apartments, but I can assure the OP that their intellect could rival most humans' any day of the week .

Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
lol, my 2 little dogs dont want to stay outside most days even if im out there with them! if its below 70 degrees out jasper goes out, does what he needs to and is then danging at the back door. ruby is a little more content to sit there and give me the "are you done yet" look...
the only oen that seems to Enjoy being outside is Dozer, and both the small dogs look at him like hes dumb as a box of rocks lol

Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My SO's dad and his GF have two min pins in their Upper East Side condo...
At risk of sounding like a breed elitist... min pins are to real Dobermans as Chihuahuas are to Great Danes.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times
I have never felt so inadequate as when I got a puppy and started reading these boards.

Please don't get me wrong. There are some fabulous people on here (the majority, actually), giving terrific advice and sharing their anecdotes. But, really, how many of these "you shouldn't own a dog if..." boards do we need?

The situation that I have with my dog at this point are known on this board, and I don't feel the need to re-hash everything. Point is though, IMO, the general tenor of a lot of these threads has been so profoundly negative, and needlessly so.

I may be biased, but geesh, the only thing that I would wish for my dog was that he could have me 24/7. But, you know, I've got to work in order to keep the apartment in which he has his crate. I wish all dogs could be as excited as he is when we drive up to Canada on the weekends and he gets to see his pals. And, I also wish all dogs could be as content as he is right now, snoozing next to me on the couch.

I know that this is a public board, and threads like this will be common, but I do hope that those who would read them would take them from whence they come. There are so many animals that need loving homes, and the idea that people would be dissuaded from adopting because of a thread like this is simply tragic to me.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Responsible pet owners all over the world have had dogs (big ones, too) in apartments for centuries. Dogs who probably get walked more often than my half-acre-of-yard-having dogs do.
I am not calling them mean or cruel owners.
Dogs should not be left out in the yard all day anyway. They should only go outside to poop or to play/run. Which makes the whole argument moot.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:24 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I have never felt so inadequate as when I got a puppy and started reading these boards.

Please don't get me wrong. There are some fabulous people on here (the majority, actually), giving terrific advice and sharing their anecdotes. But, really, how many of these "you shouldn't own a dog if..." boards do we need?

The situation that I have with my dog at this point are known on this board, and I don't feel the need to re-hash everything. Point is though, IMO, the general tenor of a lot of these threads has been so profoundly negative, and needlessly so.

I may be biased, but geesh, the only thing that I would wish for my dog was that he could have me 24/7. But, you know, I've got to work in order to keep the apartment in which he has his crate. I wish all dogs could be as excited as he is when we drive up to Canada on the weekends and he gets to see his pals. And, I also wish all dogs could be as content as he is right now, snoozing next to me on the couch.

I know that this is a public board, and threads like this will be common, but I do hope that those who would read them would take them from whence they come. There are so many animals that need loving homes, and the idea that people would be dissuaded from adopting because of a thread like this is simply tragic to me.
Well said.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
I can't imagine anyone would take the OP seriously anyway. He hasn't been back (and as far as I know has never posted on the pets forum before). I don't see the fun in making a completely illogical, off-the-wall post and then sitting back to see what will happen, but I guess some people like to do just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs